Question about steering

I'm not very happy with the extremely loose steering on my Custom - what would you suggest I do to tighten up the steering? I like a very tight steering wheel with excellent wheel response. If I need to I'll pick up the steering system from a new vehicle and modify it to fit my truck, but I heard from someone that there's a steering box or something that I can adjust the steering. Is this true, and if it is, where is it?

Thanks!!!!

Oh - before I forget, what do I need to do to upgrade the A/C system to run 134 or anything that can be recharged at a local service shop? The Body is my realm, when it comes to the Engine, Tranny, and anything that makes the truck run I'm lost.

Thanks!!!!

With the proper bracket made you can run a YJ steering box. The YJ has a 3.2:1 fixed ratio unlike the XJ/MJ that is variable.

The XJ and MJ do not use a variable ratio box, they use a 14:1 fixed ratio box. And 3.2 is not the ratio for the YJ, that's the number of turns lock-to-lock.

Before buying any parts to tighten up your steering, find out where the slop is. Improperly adjusting the steering box can trash it, and may not be necessary. A slightly worn track bar makes the steering feel very loose, for example. Ditto for worn tie rod ends. Also, be sure the track bar bracket is tight where it bolts to the frame.

I left my steering box alone until I have the money for an aftermarket steering box . The suspension is the first place I would

look. My 92" has allot more miles than yours and the steering and handling sucked . For starters I replaced the track bar that

was shot , I also went to a larger tire and wheel , replaced the shocks and got a set aftermarket bushings .

I am impressed with how stable the ride and steering is now . Next is WJ upper and lower control arms and ZJ V8 springs .

A new sway bar is in order too . :thumbsup:

Nice - I'm going to have to get out and pick up some stuff for the truck - I found out from the previous owner that the shocks are shot (not hard to miss since it bounces around after going over a pebble - LOL). I think I'm going to go with some HD Shocks and springs before I do the steering box or maybe I'll do both at the same time and see if I can create an Indy Car type response - LOL.

Thanks!!!!!

I believe 97+ XJ boxes are an upgrade.

I don't think this is correct.

All the Saginaw boxes the Cherokee used should be the same.

Correct - the XJ boxes are all the same 3-bolt 14.1 ratio Saginaw steering gear. The 93-98 ZJ boxes however are the quicker 12.7 ratio. :cheers:

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html

I believe 97+ XJ boxes are an upgrade.

I don't think this is correct.

All the Saginaw boxes the Cherokee used should be the same.

Correct - the XJ boxes are all the same 3-bolt 14.1 ratio Saginaw steering gear. The 93-98 ZJ boxes however are the quicker 12.7 ratio. :cheers:

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref29.html

Yep. It's highly UNlikely that the steering box needs to be replaced, since there are plenty of other likely suspects to check out first. But IF you need (or want) to replace the box, for primarily street driving and especially if you want "Indy car response" the quicker ratio ZJ box (or aftermarket equivalent, typically from Borgeson) is the answer. However, if you do serious off-roading (especially rock crawling) with very large tires, the quicker box is not a good choice.

Can you explain what you mean by loose? My MJ had loose steering, I mean I could move the steering wheel left right up and down. After tignening and locktite(ing) the torx bolts under the tilt knuckle it was back to normal.

Mac...

Sure - What I mean by loose is that it feels like its all over the road when I run a straight line. The steering column moves around a little. It's been a while since I've driven an old truck but I've always had tight steering (quick response). I guess that's what I'm talking about is steering response. I can tell you and everyone that I'm on Cloud 9 right now - I actually titled the MJ this evening and this is the first time I've held a title of ownership in my hands for a vehicle for several years!!!!!!

I appreciate everything. I've got a bunch of ideas rolling around in my head about what I hope to do to my truck like completely redoing the interior with Bucket Seats and a center console, adding gauge face covers, and changing the gauge lights out to LEDs. I'm also going to paint the entire exterior and airbrush the graphics. I can't wait to get started!!!!!!!!

Thanks for everything!!!!!!

Can you explain what you mean by loose? My MJ had loose steering, I mean I could move the steering wheel left right up and down. After tignening and locktite(ing) the torx bolts under the tilt knuckle it was back to normal.

Mac...

Sure - What I mean by loose is that it feels like its all over the road when I run a straight line. The steering column moves around a little. It's been a while since I've driven an old truck but I've always had tight steering (quick response). I guess that's what I'm talking about is steering response. I can tell you and everyone that I'm on Cloud 9 right now - I actually titled the MJ this evening and this is the first time I've held a title of ownership in my hands for a vehicle for several years!!!!!!

I appreciate everything. I've got a bunch of ideas rolling around in my head about what I hope to do to my truck like completely redoing the interior with Bucket Seats and a center console, adding gauge face covers, and changing the gauge lights out to LEDs. I'm also going to paint the entire exterior and airbrush the graphics. I can't wait to get started!!!!!!!!

Thanks for everything!!!!!!

Mac...

Sounds like ball joints or steering TREs.

My 1 ton truck was doing that and replacing the D60 ball joints made it a new truck and it tracks straight now :thumbsup:

To convert your AC to r134a you should get a new accumulator or receiver dryer.... can't remember which its called on this model, and a R134a conversion kit for your model.... most parts stores should be able to help with this. Install the new accumulator, install the R134a fittings in their proper places and take it to a shop to have it properly vacuumed and charged with new oil. Not really a big deal.