i need to replace the handle for the tailgate...............

the screws are bedlined over so i don't even know if they are bolts or screws or what and how many there are. :doh: can i just cut the tops off since the handle has to be replaced? it broke on one side. am i ok to just get a used one(if i can find one) or are they a part that wears enough you want to put new in? if so, where can you get them? :dunno:

any help would be great. i need to get my tailgate back on. :help:

New tailgate handle assemblies were still available from Jeep awhile back, but prohibitively expensive. Someone posted not too long ago that the handle for some Ford of Chevy is the same, and can be bought from the parts chain stiores for half the price.

The screws are torx head screws, and I believe there are three of them. One of my MJs had one side of the handle broken when I got it. I took it out, wire brushed it, and welded it together.

• 1 year later...

I broke my handle clean off and can't get the gate open. I see the screws on the backside of the gate that hold the handle into it, if I remove those does the part that locks the gate closed come with it so I can remove the gate? It's been a long time since I've had to fix a gate and I'm having trouble imagining how it all goes together inside there :dunno:

I thought I remember reading that you have to cut the back of the gate off in order to fix this but it would be nice if it's a straightforward job.

jeepcoma,

There are two rods that attach to the release mechanism with those little swivel clips like the inner door handles. You should be able to disconnect the clips so the rods disengage from the mechanism and then just yank on them to release the gate. I have an extra handle if you're interested, just pm me.

Thanks Great info & timing was just looking at how to do this, I picked up a tailgate from the local wreckers and everything works in it. Gonna swap remove the rusted handle clean it up and paint it then install it into my tailgate which is missing the handle.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that pic, it really did the trick! I was able to get some pliers in there and open the tailgate, so I could stick my snowblower in the bed without removing the cap. Everything looks totally rusted up (no surprise) in there, I couldn't even budge the torque screws from the inside.