Np207 swap

Okay all, I'm going to give this a go on here since it doesn't seem as if it should be in the tech forum... I came across an 87 jeep xj Laredo in the local junkyard (which I was actually extremely surprised to come across) and originally just needed a few small things but when I asked about the 44 rear axle, guy said 250-300 for the axle then the next day or so when I went back after the lien had finished I asked how much for the whole thing and he said he woyld do the whole jeep for 300..... This had me thinking that for the price I could 4x4 swap the mj, part out the rest, and maybe break somewhat close to even. Although after inquiring on FB and people mainly suggesting to get a np231 instead I figured I would ask here since I always get awesome and useful answers and responses. If it IS the np207, would this be still a good idea to swap in? Both are 87s and actually really like the idea of staying the same year. I wouldn't be wheeling the truck really just an occasional trail ride but mainly dd in snow and recovery once I move to Colorado. Can anyone provide some input/advice/ideas please?? Any info/help is greatly appreciated!!! Thanks all!a7694ad3bbeb4f34138cf13ea271f9a7.jpgef59ac556a22d566b1b5fb751f562356.jpg4f4cebfd5929f1850799f6e1acf7655a.jpgcd1c011d498110199405957a22c99da1.jpg36ee71e2e88d3ba2de54bf4457b98915.jpg0e9e48b69dabcf4ace214c8f30599c73.jpg

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

the 207 is an 86 and earlier thing (or really early 87 but rare).  what's the green lettering in the middle of the shifter?  between hi-lock and N.  because it looks like that's a 242 t-case (with all-wheel drive) shifter gate.

the 207 is an 86 and earlier thing (or really early 87 but rare).  what's the green lettering in the middle of the shifter?  between hi-lock and N.  because it looks like that's a 242 t-case (with all-wheel drive) shifter gate.
Thank you for the response sir! It just says 4wd but hard to tell with the glare lol

25 minutes ago, IronManche87 said:

Thank you for the response sir! It just says 4wd but hard to tell with the glare lol

No, it says more than that. A 207 or a 231 would not have a "Hi Lock" and a "Low Lock" plus another position. That "4WD" position is UNlocked 4WD, which means all-wheel drive. That looks a lot like a 242 shift gate, and that's not surprising in a Laredo. Grab it.

No, it says more than that. A 207 or a 231 would not have a "Hi Lock" and a "Low Lock" plus another position. That "4WD" position is UNlocked 4WD, which means all-wheel drive. That looks a lot like a 242 shift gate, and that's not surprising in a Laredo. Grab it.
Shoot!! Awesome!! I'm gonna make em an offer on the drivetrain and hope for the best!! Thank you Pete and Eagle so much!!

Maybe someone swapped a 207 for the 242 or just the shifter gate. 207 is weak. It was a tiny gear drive in an aluminum case with shims instead of bearings. It was supposed to be NP208AMs weaker brother. Occasionally stuck in snow people could use it to get unstuck but not much else. It whines in low range like it needs cheese due to the straight cut gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk