what would you guys like on the main page?

Pete M

14 minutes ago, Pete M said:

If I can get this epic tech off the ground, I imagine we could add in an "other rides" tech.  I just don't want a ton of subforums.

Subforums are evil.  Here me out on this concerning tech, though.  Tech is the major destination here.  It's a draw.  Tech right now has 26,400+ topics in it containing 250,000+ posts.  It's labeled 'MJ Tech' and at some point, if not now, will become less valuable as information isn't classified and becomes harder to find.  Imagine 'MJ Tech' being split up into a few tech forums, not subforums.  With current MJ Tech topics possibly being moved over time by volunteers to the right spot.  Each one of these could have several thousand relevant posts based on content on CC right now:

MJ Tech - Comanche Body, Frame, Suspension, Steering, Shared XJ Components
Jeep Engine/Transmission/Systems Tech - 4.0L, 2.5L, 2.8L, AX-4, AX-5, AX-15, TF999, Renix, HO
Jeep 4WD/4X4/Axle Tech - NP231, AMC 20, Dana 30/35/44, Chrysler 8.25, Brakes
EPIC Jeep Tech - Welding, Fabrication, Body and Paint, Extreme Modifications, Conversions

Ultimately what direction to take the site in is yours, Pete, and we trust in you to make the right decisions.  We're all just offering opinions and appreciate the opportunity to do so.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

Subforums are evil.  Here me out on this concerning tech, though.  Tech is the major destination here.  It's a draw.  Tech right now has 26,400+ topics in it containing 250,000+ posts.  It's labeled 'MJ Tech' and at some point, if not now, will become less valuable as information isn't classified and becomes harder to find.  Imagine 'MJ Tech' being split up into a few tech forums, not subforums.  With current MJ Tech topics possibly being moved over time by volunteers to the right spot.  Each one of these could have several thousand relevant posts based on content on CC right now:

MJ Tech - Comanche Body, Frame, Suspension, Steering, Shared XJ Components
Jeep Engine/Transmission/Systems Tech - 4.0L, 2.5L, 2.8L, AX-4, AX-5, AX-15, TF999, Renix, HO
Jeep 4WD/4X4/Axle Tech - NP231, AMC 20, Dana 30/35/44, Chrysler 8.25, Brakes
EPIC Jeep Tech - Welding, Fabrication, Body and Paint, Extreme Modifications, Conversions

Ultimately what direction to take the site in is yours, Pete, and we trust in you to make the right decisions.  We're all just offering opinions and appreciate the opportunity to do so.

Personally Id say this isn't a bad idea.  It will open the door for more non-MJ owners to get involved in the mechanics portion and bring in new faces and new tips and tricks that the gurus currently here havn't come across yet.  As was stated a few posts back, many of the Jeeps from the 80s and 90s shared mechanical parts so broadening the 'tech' section slightly may benefit us all.

I like your enthusiasm :D the problems with splitting up tech are 2 fold.  the obvious one is the 26000 threads that would need to be sorted.  The other is that the prime ways people find info here is searching and asking (as opposed to browsing).  neither really needs more than one forum.  It sounds like a good idea, but really it's just more work for those members answering questions.  with a single forum, it's super easy to see what's new, what's been answered and what hasn't.  plus we only have a handful of new posts each day.  splitting it up would mean paint tech might have a new thread every couple months causing it to look static and causing eyeballs to stop looking.  we need way more active members before multiple subs becomes truly useful.  

to see what I mean by having too many subforums, look at naxja.org 's page.  :crazy:  I'd sooo much rather that people just ask their questions :D 

Pretending I'm Captain Obvious (my secret hero), this is the Comanche Club. It's not the Jeep forum, North American blah-blah, Jeeps Unlimited, or even Pirate that cater to all-breeds of Jeeps and don't do a great job on any of them. Just by our  forum's name, nobody's coming here that owns a JK, CJ, YJ, even an XJ for guidance and advice or to browse because they just don't care. And a good number of  those owners probably don't even know what a Comanche is, and think Jeeps' only pickup was the J-truck.

Comanche Club is dedicated to a low production mostly unsuccessful niche spin-off Jeep pickup truck that was only in production for seven years and went extinct in 1992, twenty-five years ago. And no other Jeep forum out there that specializes in one particular Jeep model does a better job providing invaluable information for their particular specialty Jeep than Comanche Club does. Lots of wonderful pie-in-the-sky ideas posted here, but if the impetus of these new ideas is to attract new-blood Jeep owners it ain't gonna happen unless they own a Comanche. Newcomers coming here will always be new Comanche owners.

I'd also like to retain the simplicity aspect of our forum for as long as possible. If it ain't broke, ...........

6 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Pretending I'm Captain Obvious (my secret hero), this is the Comanche Club. It's not the Jeep forum, North American blah-blah, Jeeps Unlimited, or even Pirate that cater to all-breeds of Jeeps and don't do a great job on any of them. Just by our  forum's name, nobody's coming here that owns a JK, CJ, YJ, even an XJ for guidance and advice or to browse because they just don't care. And a good number of  those owners probably don't even know what a Comanche is, and think Jeeps' only pickup was the J-truck.

Comanche Club is dedicated to a low production mostly unsuccessful niche spin-off Jeep pickup truck that was only in production for seven years and went extinct in 1992, twenty-five years ago. And no other Jeep forum out there that specializes in one particular Jeep model does a better job providing invaluable information for their particular specialty Jeep than Comanche Club does. Lots of wonderful pie-in-the-sky ideas posted here, but if the impetus of these new ideas is to attract new-blood Jeep owners it ain't gonna happen unless they own a Comanche. Newcomers coming here will always be new Comanche owners.

I'd also like to retain the simplicity aspect of our forum for as long as possible. If it ain't broke, ...........

Agreed.

Keep it simple, but there are some improvements we can make that won't take away from simplicity. Also like the idea of putting the "what did you do to your MJ" thread somewhere prominent.

Auto-play videos or pop-ups are right out obviously. But would it be too much to add something to the front page? Maybe a slideshow of recent pics people have uploaded or something like that. Maybe a vendor spotlight, maybe events like the scavenger hunt. But I do agree, it can't take away from the simple down-to-business charm of the site layout as it is.

Don't take this the wrong way - but Comanche Club needs to stay Comanche Club. That doesn't mean someone with a Wrangler or Renix XJ or whatever can't come ask us something, but IMO the less Facebooky this site is the better. We have a collection of some of the most mature, knowledgeable, and helpful people in the Jeep community and very little of the lowest common denominator. I think it needs to stay that way. Scope creep is an evil thing, maybe even more evil than subforums.

4 hours ago, kryptronic said:

Give us HO guys a 'Jeep HO Tech' forum we can run wild in extolling the virtues of the HO and how it's superior to Renix in every way.

You sir are a breath of fresh air. A welcome respite from the usual Renix trolldom. But no need for a special HO forum IMO; those in the know already know.  :thumbsup:

I'm a mod on Cherokee Forum. 

That site has a lot of sub-forums. I spend every morning moving threads around to the correct sub-forum. More is not better.

I'd love to $#!&can the Cherokee Chat and Ask the Question thread on that site...... Not good for sound technical advice. My 2 cents. 

2 hours ago, cruiser54 said:

I'm a mod on Cherokee Forum. 

That site has a lot of sub-forums. I spend every morning moving threads around to the correct sub-forum. More is not better.

I'd love to $#!&can the Cherokee Chat and Ask the Question thread on that site...... Not good for sound technical advice. My 2 cents. 

Glutton for punishment?

10 hours ago, DirtyComanche said:

There's a main page?

That is what I was thinking.... I have visited the main page a few times: when I first came to CC, when finding the forum from a new device and when my bookmark for the forum needs updated.

Please, please, please do not add anymore sub-forums. That makes finding anything much more difficult than it should be. I am not even sure what is in the 'popular threads' sub-forums since I've never looked deeper than the pub. There are few Comanche's out there and even fewer enthusiasts. I don't think CC will ever grow quite like some of the other Jeep Forums so simple sections will continue to work.

15 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

Just by our  forum's name, nobody's coming here that owns a JK, CJ, YJ, even an XJ for guidance and advice or to browse because they just don't care

Respectfully, I disagree with this statement.  I am living proof this is not the case, although, I concede, I represent a small sample size statistically speaking.  I now own an MJ because of renewed interest in the vehicle due to having stumbled upon CC repeatedly for the right answer while building YJs.

The community stands out above all others as a definitive resource.  Time and time and time again while researching this or that, I found a complete, no-BS answer on CC for my YJ problem.  When researching, I was simply Google searching and looking at relevant results.  I was doing searches related to D35 disc brake conversions, differences between AMC and Chrysler knuckles on the D30, AX-15 slave cylinder replacement, HO fuel/intake/sensor issue diagnosis, and more.  After filtering through results on wrangerforum, jeepforum, naxja, pirate, etc, CC always came up, and always had the most complete answer, backed up with facts.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of Jeep owners who don't have MJs that visit here quite often.  They just don't create accounts or ask questions or share experiences.  I searched for my MJ for three years (had to be HO), and didn't join CC or make a single post until I owned it.  I've probably been getting build info from CC for a decade, and doing some really cool, relevant stuff during that timeframe.

This thread started as a request by Pete for homepage ideas.  It kind of spun out from there, in large part to a suggestion I made.  I apologize for that.  I wasn't suggesting 15 different subforums.  I was recommending maybe splitting MJ and non-MJ tech and making the site a little more accessible. 

I'd like to just change my vote and ask for a 'What Did You Do To Your Other Project' thread, and for a note to be added to MJ tech so it reads "For all your Comanche tech needs.  NOTE: It's OK to post questions regarding XJ/YJ/ZJ/TJ vehicles here, as long as your post pertains to components found on the MJ.".

Thank you.

3 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

THIS is our main page.  :crazy:   Boring.

I'd like to see a main page like THIS ONE.  Nice site intro, table of contents, featured MJOTM, site news, and featured topics. Good intro for newcomers, easy navigation, and straight & simple.

Well, your sample page is more informative but, suffers from a severe case of "Function is Beauty." I good landing page needs animated flames, lots and lots of chrome textures and maybe some skulls. Or, if that's too extreme, you could just pictures of kittens doing cute stuff. I'm no help, I know.

I'd probably make it as simple as possible, with only a large button directing you to the forum, and maybe a small button for MJ of the month and "About" the site/Comanche.  Throw a flashy background on there.

Why?  Because the Facebook generation gets confused if there's more than one obvious option, and if there's more than 3 lines of text they'll overload, panic, and hit the back button.

FSJ network is an excellent example of how to do it, IMHO. http://fsjnetwork.com/

19 minutes ago, DirtyComanche said:

I'd probably make it as simple as possible, with only a large button directing you to the forum, and maybe a small button for MJ of the month and "About" the site/Comanche.  Throw a flashy background on there.

Why?  Because the Facebook generation gets confused if there's more than one obvious option, and if there's more than 3 lines of text they'll overload, panic, and hit the back button.

FSJ network is an excellent example of how to do it, IMHO. http://fsjnetwork.com/

Well stated and accurate.

On 11/16/2017 at 6:13 PM, Pete M said:

the popular threads forum is mostly a collection for newcomers to peruse.  all those thread would have been buried long ago and I can't stand having a ton of stickies so that was the compromise I came up with one day.  :dunno:  what we should probably do is revive them one at a time now and again to give the most recent members a chance to chime in on them.  :D  

I was never a fan of this from the beginning... Basically turned a popular and fun thread into a thread no one wants to chase through 3 doors to get to. If it is popular, the forums will keep it as such. If it drifts away or down, it's because people grew tired of it and let it.

Rob

4 hours ago, Pete M said:

ooo, I like that one.  simple and to the point.  or maybe it's just that I really, really want that Jeep in the picture!   :drool:

Yup, it's a simple and sexy photo, where somebody is going to say "Hey! I own one of those!" or "WTF is this?  I'm obviously on the wrong page.  I was looking for the Fellowship of St James Church page!".

On 11/16/2017 at 8:15 PM, cruiser54 said:

Agreed.

Every now and then the blind nut falls out of the tree and onto a squirrel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2017 at 10:09 PM, HOrnbrod said:

...[N]ewcomers coming here will always be new Comanche owners.

HARRUMPH !!!

youngfred

On 11/15/2017 at 7:25 PM, Pete M said:

...what the title says.   

Since I am new here, how about a sub,

that would list all posts,  read-only - sorted by year,

from-the-beginning of this site.

A search, by sub with :

To: DD/MM/YYYY

These might already exist.:confused:

youngfred