what would you guys like on the main page?

Pete M

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it would be cool if we had fun stuff to look at that greeted anyone new who looked at the site.   Also would be nice if there was content that changed on a more regular basis than the MJOTM. 

Examples I can think of:

- Information and history of the Comanche similar to what the wiki page has, including the images of the truck and other Jeeps from that French website that was posted a while back

- Info on stuff like the archer brothers trucks and other racing/famous comanches

- General Jeep news section maybe? 

- Feature ads/posts on a rotation for the members selling things in the "Vendors" section, especially when they have sales going on. 

- Showcase events and meet-ups that are going on. 

- "This day in Jeep History" post anytime a major Jeep milestone hits.  Such as the anniversary of the release of the MJ, the day the Willys MB climbed the stairs of the white house, etc. 

- The History of Jeep section 

2 minutes ago, Dzimm said:

I think it would be cool if we had fun stuff to look at that greeted anyone new who looked at the site.   Also would be nice if there was content that changed on a more regular basis than the MJOTM. 

Examples I can think of:

- Information and history of the Comanche similar to what the wiki page has, including the images of the truck and other Jeeps from that French website that was posted a while back

- Info on stuff like the archer brothers trucks and other racing/famous comanches

- General Jeep news section maybe? 

Ditto to this. Events like the scavenger hunt could be on there as well - it would be nice to have a front page that served some other purpose than being the thing you click away from to see the forums.

I like the KISS principle.  I am also not a fan of busy complicated web sites that force video and sound on me by default.

Listing "Hot Topics" is fine.  A "donate here" link is fine.

General Jeep news doesn't belong here.  Too many other sites pitching that angle.  Who thinks they are going to devote time and energy to do it "better" here?

12 hours ago, Minuit said:

I like the image stuff suggested.  But a wiki page has to be more work than getting our own DIY articles indexed. Right???

14 minutes ago, Pete M said:

far as I know it shouldn't.  we have no popups nor are on any ad-block list.  

I guess the real question is, what would a newcomer like/need to see when they type in our addy?

At a bare minimum there should be a statement of what the site is, purpose, etc and a featured content. MJOTM is my vote, but adding on "popular topics" would be good.

15 minutes ago, Pete M said:

far as I know it shouldn't.  we have no popups nor are on any ad-block list.  

I guess the real question is, what would a newcomer like/need to see when they type in our addy?

I think the even better question is, what do you want this site to be Pete?  Currently it's the most fantastic Jeep forum, but I feel like I've seen you post previously about wanting to get more eyes on the site and make it more involved for people who don't even own an MJ.  Am I correct with that or just making things up in my mind?  

I do have to agree that the format now is great and does exactly what we need it to, but to grow and get more people involved and stay involved in MJs and Jeeps in general, especially on ComancheClub, things have to change over time. 

I do want to say that I agree with everyone above that the MJOTM should be the featured thing on the front page, maybe pin that to the top of the page for the month and have a rolling feed below for the stuff going on and anything new that is added to the page. 

Rather than having the front page be literally a list of all the MJOTM, make the current one the feature on the page with the directory of passed MJOTM linked to elsewhere.  

Symptom based selection (ex: No Crank) that would allow any user to select a symptom. After entering YR & ENG, user would then be directed towards all threads that pertain to that symptom, but only those threads that solved a problem. This would be different then tags or filter. Kind of like the flow charts talked about earlier on this forum. Same could be applied for certain projects or 'what if' questions.

1 hour ago, Dzimm said:

I think the even better question is, what do you want this site to be Pete?  Currently it's the most fantastic Jeep forum, but I feel like I've seen you post previously about wanting to get more eyes on the site and make it more involved for people who don't even own an MJ.  Am I correct with that or just making things up in my mind?  

I do have to agree that the format now is great and does exactly what we need it to, but to grow and get more people involved and stay involved in MJs and Jeeps in general, especially on ComancheClub, things have to change over time. 

I was referring to the fact that few members visit the pub.  they go straight for the tech forum or just use the search.   that's what I meant by more eyeballs.  :thumbsup:  people only go places where they find something they want, and there is a lot of competition out there for their time and attention.  I don't want this place to turn into just an online library, so we need to keep up.  for example: people love to share pics of their stuff.  now we can do that easily.  people like writeups.  now we have a whole index of them (though we still need to fix links/pics that PB and the forum upgrade have neutered).  plus we always need more DIY threads!  I've been holding off on any sort of big announcement to the world until we get a few more bugs squared away.  :thumbsup: 

(plus I'm working on an idea for an Epic Tech forum.  shhh... :brows:)

Well, regarding more traffic in the pub... it's kind of weird that "popular threads" are archived alone in what amounts to a graveyard subforum.  Many of them haven't been bumped in months.

Suggestion:

Reboot the "What did you do to your Comanche today?" thread as a sticky in the main Pub.  On other forums, that usually works well as a place for members to post pics of various mini-mods and fix it projects. Things that don't really warrant a full build thread. 

1 hour ago, DesertRat1991 said:

Reboot the "What did you do to your Comanche today?" thread as a sticky in the main Pub.  On other forums, that usually works well as a place for members to post pics of various mini-mods and fix it projects. Things that don't really warrant a full build thread. 

+1, Also, consider this:

Right now, I'd be posting pics every couple of days in a 'What Did You Do To Your Other Project' thread.  I'm building out a YJ right now ahead of the MJ and will eventually do an 'Other Project' build thread, but not until it's done in the spring.  Would love to share some of the stuff I'm doing there. 

I've got Jeep-related tech issues on the YJ that are applicable to MJs, but I'm reluctant to post them anywhere.  For example, I just did a header install on my YJ's 4.0 HO motor and I'm not sure on the fitment.  Would love to get some guru advice here.  But where to post?

You'd see a lot more XJ, YJ, ZJ, TJ traffic with 'Jeep' tech threads that are labeled or classified as such.  I've been building my YJ for over a year hardcore now.  Been planning, researching and documenting for almost three years.  I can't tell you how many times I got the right info from CC for my build, way before I ever found the HO MJ I was waiting for.  This is an authoritative source, not just for MJs.  You get the right answer, well documented on CC.  You don't get that anywhere else.  Most of what you see is guys busting each other's balls for running this or that.  You know why CC is special, but it's valuable to more that just MJ owners.  Way valuable.

the popular threads forum is mostly a collection for newcomers to peruse.  all those thread would have been buried long ago and I can't stand having a ton of stickies so that was the compromise I came up with one day.  :dunno:  what we should probably do is revive them one at a time now and again to give the most recent members a chance to chime in on them.  :D  

13 minutes ago, kryptronic said:

I've got Jeep-related tech issues on the YJ that are applicable to MJs, but I'm reluctant to post them anywhere.  For example, I just did a header install on my YJ's 4.0 HO motor and I'm not sure on the fitment.  Would love to get some guru advice here.  But where to post?

technically it would go in the pub, although if it pertains to MJs in any way (we share that 4.0) then I'll usually move it to Tech.  In the quest for forum simplicity, there is a bunch of gray area.  But wherever you put it, POST IT UP!! :thumbsup: I've never seen a tech question go unanswered on the CC.  :D  

Just now, Pete M said:

technically it would go in the pub, although if it pertains to MJs in any way (we share that 4.0) then I'll usually move it to Tech.  In the quest for forum simplicity, there is a bunch of gray area.  But wherever you put it, POST IT UP!! :thumbsup: I've never seen a tech question go unanswered on the CC.  :D  

Gotcha.  I appreciate that.  But the fact that it's not really clear (gray area) is a problem, I think.  CC may in fact have more content, more images, more value if this type of thing was addressed and clear. 

Give us HO guys a 'Jeep HO Tech' forum we can run wild in extolling the virtues of the HO and how it's superior to Renix in every way.  I've got an HO YJ and an HO MJ.  Drivetrains are identical - the YJ is the 'recipe' for much of what's being done to the MJ when the time comes.  There are so many similarities between these Jeeps from this era.  Expand the audience.  

The value in this site is that it's a wealth of moderated, accurate information without a bunch of unsupported speculation, advertisements and pissing matches between members.  There are plenty of other Jeep people (like us, not boneheads) who would like to be a part of it, if they felt like there was a place for them.  There's no apparent place for them.

If I can get this epic tech off the ground, I imagine we could add in an "other rides" tech.  I just don't want a ton of subforums.  Every time I see a website with 50 sub forums I get an instant headache thinking about all the clicking I'd have to do to keep up with it all. :( Maybe if we someday got too big for our britches, but we're small and I'd like to retain the simplicity aspect for as long as I can.  :thumbsup: