Best way to lock/secure a trailer

krustyballer16

Some of you guys know that in February I'll be traveling from Indiana to California, 4000 mile round trip, to pick up black betty from Bo (shelvyluvv). I'll be pulling my 18' flat deck trailer. Me and my girlfriend are making it an 8 or 9 day adventure, stopping by the grand canyon and in Vegas.

I need to know what your opinions on the most secure way to lock my trailer up in the hotel parking lots while we're out enjoying ourselves at each stop?

The trailer might or might not have a Comanche on it going to California. Cough cough john...

Thought about just padlocking a ball in it every time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Some of you guys know that in February I'll be traveling from Indiana to California, 4000 mile round trip, to pick up black betty from Bo (shelvyluvv). I'll be pulling my 18' flat deck trailer. Me and my girlfriend are making it an 8 or 9 day adventure, stopping by the grand canyon and in Vegas.
I need to know what your opinions on the most secure way to lock my trailer up in the hotel parking lots while we're out enjoying ourselves at each stop?
The trailer might or might not have a Comanche on it going to California. Cough cough john...
Thought about just padlocking a ball in it every time.

Run a chain through the wheels and around the axles. Make it so they can't take the wheels off.

Tongue locks don't work out here. They will wrap the safety chains around their hitch and drive away with your trailer.

Lug locks and a chain through the wheels works well and is cheap.

They also have locking chock that goes between the wheels. They will still pull a tire off to get the chock off then put your wheel back on and steal the trailer.

A trailer was stolen from me. 

Insurance sent me a check, I ordered a new trailer. I tried to convince the manufacture to build me a custom tongue, they would not do it.

You are a fabricator, you build yourself one. 

Consider a reverse receiver, whereas the tongue slides into a collar and is then pin locked under the trailer, you could use several locks if you wanted. You can weld a plate to the end of the receiver draw bar so the bar cannot be pulled out of the receiver tube as a safety feature. 

Or, a removable reverse receiver tongue, those are common, they are done. Take the tongue with you. 

Would I ever leave a trailer in a hotel parking lot? Never. 

There is a neat little chip called Tile that can’t be easily found or faked.
It turns on the alarm and has a reverse insert system and a mechanical reversed system for parking.
If you pull while the hydraulic isn’t attached, it locks all 4 wheels while the alarm shrieks from inside the steel frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a neat little chip called Tile that can’t be easily found or faked.
It turns on the alarm and has a reverse insert system and a mechanical reversed system for parking.
If you pull while the hydraulic isn’t attached, it locks all 4 wheels while the alarm shrieks from inside the steel frame.

I can't find anything about it. Got a link?

If someone is set on stealing your particular trailer, car, or anything else, there is little you can do.  But most thief's are opportunistic, so a little protection goes a long way.  More likely a thief would want your truck.
Id rather them take the truck. Everything on my trailer works! Ha!

Nothing to do with lock/securing a trailer, but remove the trailer plate when not needed. If anything does go wrong, maybe a LEO might find this suspicious enough to investigate. 
My cop buddy says he pulls over trailers with no plates all the time. So that would work.
I doubt I'll have any problems on this trip though.

My cop buddy says he pulls over trailers with no plates all the time. So that would work.
I doubt I'll have any problems on this trip though.

Maybe put a bumper sticker under where your plate goes saying “if you can read this report it to 911”.

Smart!

Just be smart. Don't leave it anywhere, especially vegas and sleep in the @#$%er f you have to.

I met a guy while in Alaska, he was from Canada and had his trail rig on a trailer, with custom locking tongue that he made himself, attached to his truck, in view of hotel security cameras. His tow rig was a 2014 2500. He was there for one night, in the morning, the whole shebang was gone: trail rig, tow truck, trailer. He doesn't know how they did it because they never found a trace.

87' 4x4 Sportruck

gotta go with a multi-faceted approach.  chains, locks, fuel kill-switches, pull some spark plug wires, anti-theft lugnuts, alarms, insurance, etc.  thieves suck.  and if they want it, they will find a way.  all we can hope for is to make it irritating enough to be not worth their time.  :(   

5 wheel locks per rim, anti-theft bolts on the hubs, sit it on a couple jack stands and then pull all the valve cores.  :D   

all kidding aside, if I had to long-term store a trailer somewhere other than my house, I just might do all that.  :laugh2:  I've got a Co2 tank so it's not a big deal to fill 'er back up.  

5 wheel locks per rim, anti-theft bolts on the hubs, sit it on a couple jack stands and then pull all the valve cores.     

all kidding aside, if I had to long-term store a trailer somewhere other than my house, I just might do all that.  :laugh2:  I've got a Co2 tank so it's not a big deal to fill 'er back up.  

I set up a retracting cylinder with a pump inside. It’s made to auto retract with a spring but it hydraulically pumps out to engage the wheels with an ebrake handle to disengage it.
If the wheels won’t go, they can’t go far.