Computer bits needed

Eagle

Not data, as in bits and bytes -- "stuff."

I'm posting this here rather than in the classifieds because it's not about Jeep parts. A co-worker has bestowed on me three older desktop computers. Not sure of the age, but they all have OEM stickers indicating that they have (or originally had) Windows XP installed, so they're ... old. My goal is to fix them up and either adopt them out through the pastor at my church, or give them to the Salvation Army.

So far, I have one of them working and the operating system restored. One seems to be dead, and I haven't tried the third one yet. All I received is the actual computers -- no keyboards, no mouses, no monitors. I've put in a request with a friendly worker at the municipal transfer station to be on the lookout for a couple of working monitors. What I don't have and will certainly need is VGA cables. If anyone has an extra, unused VGA cable they'd be willing to pass along, I'd be more than happy to pay shipping.

Glad to hear these aren't going to the scrap pile and will go to good use.  As for them having XP, I don't recommend giving any organization an XP machine unless they are fully aware that security on the device is absolutely nonexistent and it will run slow... Very slow.  

If they meet the minimum requirements for windows 10, I'd recommend installing it.  You can download the install files from Microsoft's website for free and it runs just fine without a product key.  The only downside is that you have a watermark in the bottom right corner of the screen showing the build number.   

As for vga cables, I will look but I think I got rid of most of mine a while back.  I may have a dvi cable laying around if any of those pcs have a dvi port of some kind. 

Edit:  I've also got a box full of parts (psu, cpu, mobo, ram, CD drives, floppy drives, cables, cases etc) from old XP machines, if you need a part for one, send me a message and I'll see if I have one that will work for you. 

Are you looking for internet connections or using these computers as work stations for the purpose of learning? Windows XP has no security when connected to the internet, as mentioned by Dzimm. I still have XP and yes I'm connected to the internet. Very slow at times and yes no security. But if you looking for work stations (no internet) XP will serve you just fine, for a long time. Window products such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint and many other tools are difficult to learn and work stations can help with this learning. No need for the internet.

15 minutes ago, Ωhm said:

Are you looking for internet connections or using these computers as work stations for the purpose of learning? Windows XP has no security when connected to the internet, as mentioned by Dzimm. I still have XP and yes I'm connected to the internet. Very slow at times and yes no security. But if you looking for work stations (no internet) XP will serve you just fine, for a long time. Window products such as Excel, Word, Powerpoint and many other tools are difficult to learn and work stations can help with this learning. No need for the internet.

This is a very good point.  It will be limited to smaller programs such as the office suite as mentioned, don't expect to run something like photoshop. 

2 hours ago, Ωhm said:

To answer this and Dzimm: I won't have any control over how these machines might be used if I get them running. I am well aware of the vulberability of Windows XP. If I send them out with XP still installed, I will run the hack that gets XP updates intended for "embedded" Windows (such as used in ATMs). It at least continues to receive important security updates, but Microsoft doesn't want the public to know about it. It's less than perfect, but it is what it is. I would certainly try to make any new owner aware of the issues with using an XP machine on the Internet, but I don't expect most people with a computer to NOT connect. That's not a reasonable expectation.

What I don't want to do is get involved in anything that promotes or advocates software piracy. I don't especially like Microsoft or their business practices over the years, but the law is the law. And since I can't afford to put money into these things, everything I do is going to be from cast-offs and scrounging. For example, rather than install a pirated copy of Microsoft Office, I'll install Libre Office. It works, it's file-compatible with MS Office ... and it's free.

People who are power users unfortunately seem to have a tendency to be overly elitist regarding "minimum" hardware requirements. Remember the old saying: "In a world of the blind, the man with one eye is king." For someone who can't afford any new computer, a box with a Pentium CPU and a couple of gigs of RAM is Nirvana. I used to have an Acer Aspire One netbook. It had an early Atom CPU, it ran Windows 7 Starter Edition, and it had 1 GB or RAM. Basically, netbooks are regarded as being only useful for browsing the web and checking your e-mail. I took it with me to South America for three months when I had to be there to finalize the adoption of my daughter. I had the full Microsoft Office suite on it, several other programs, and even AutoCAD LT 2000. As long as I didn't try to run multiple programs at the same time, it ran everything.

If I can get these things running, they'll be for people (or small organizations) who can't afford anything else. They'll still be a lot better than nothing.