New Cummins crate engine

Swampy

Hey guys,

Wanted to know if you guys have seen this new cummins  motor. Well at least I think it is relatively new. The Cummins R2.8 Diesel engine. Its a 4 banger turbo diesel. I think its a really cool swap motor if you have the extra coin to buy one and swap it into an mj. I Know on the Motor trend youtube channel they swapped one into a tj wrangler. Dirt Everyday Diesel Jeep video. 

Maybe in like 10-15 years I can swap a diesel into my mj. The R2.8 seems like a perfect engine. Thoughts

Most of the electrical Cummins engines are retarded easy to wire up, FYI, the only reason they seem hard is because most people deal with them in a Dodge (terrrrrrrrrible) chassis.  Even an ISB 24V stolen from a Dodge can be made to run with only 5 or so wires going to it, the ECM and associated harness is on the engine and is meant to operate standalone.  The other wires are to run the various datalinks with the Dodge PCM and to run the instrument cluster.  This one looks like it would be dead nuts simple to wire up, and likely wouldn't give you any issues in that regard for many years.

I don't like that it has an EGR cooler and a cat integrated into the downpipe.  Waste of money to buy something you're going to throw in the trash, and hopefully not cause any programming issues by doing so.

What bellhousing pattern is it?  SAE something?

20 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

That's chump change for you Dirty.   :D

Hah!  Not quite.

If they could sell it with a mechanical pump, no remote oil filter, no oil cooler (you supply your own) and no emissions crap for $2000 cheaper, plus pickup at a local dealer to save on freight, rather than to your door shipping...  I could see the temptation getting high.  Because then it would only be $10000 Canadian, and while I would be installing it in a vehicle I bought for $300, somehow in my mind I could maybe justify the economics of that.

Well, maybe not.

17 minutes ago, Swampy said:

I also think that it has to weigh less than the 4bt it'll be a better option for the light xj's and mj's

At 503lbs dressed it is lighter than a 4BT by about 200lbs, I believe.  It's more in line with the weight of a dressed 4L at that.

It's also not as tall, at 28"~, compared with the 4BT which I believe is about 34" (IIRC).

Width is still going to be an issue at 25".  That stupid catalyst downpipe is going to screw you, but at least the remote oil filter can be moved.

It's almost perfect, but it isn't.  Like I said, I'm curious what the bellhousing pattern is too.  I think they mentioned it in DED, but I forget, and I've got terrible internet here so I'm not watching it again to figure it out.

To answer adapting questions, it's a SAE #3 bellhousing.  Which is fairly useless, although there is some generic SAE #3 adapters out there, and you can probably find a small Eaton/Fuller in that pattern which will only weigh 400lbs and shift like a dump truck.  However, Advance Adapters built the adapter used in Toob Sock (Fred Williams' YJ), and they will sell you one for the low price of $1450 USD.  Or one to go to a GM trans for only $1600 USD.  It's a goofy adapter that stacks a 4L flywheel on top of the Cummins flywheel, which would be kinda good for lugging, not ideal for anything else...

I think unfortunately the costs would simply be out of hand with this.  If you could just order a regular 2.8 from them with less junk, I could see it being feasible.