Front sway bars

The factory parts manuals I have access to only show me two diameters for the front sway bar: 24m or 28 mm. That corresponds to 15/16" and 1-1/8". But when I go to Auto Zone and look up replacement "bushings" (cushions), they show me 7/8" (22mm), 15./16" (24mm), 1" (26mm) and 1-1/8" (28mm). How many sizes of front sway bar are there to fit the XJ and MJ?

Does anyone know if a front sway bar from a ZJ V8 will fit an MJ? Are all ZJ sway bars the same diameter? I'd like to upgrade my handling a bit, and I want to go as fat as possible on the front sway bar. What are my options?

I've got a sway bar from a junkyard ZJ in my MJ. It was pretty much identical in shape to my existing bar, although mine was bent badly. I pulled the bushings with it, and also grabbed some minty stock XJ end links while was there. I want to say it was an improvement but my judgement may be affected by the fact that I ran it for about a week with broken end links. My el-cheapo plastic callipers suggest it's 27mm... but I'll suggest – given their flexible nature – they are neither precise nor accurate. Pretty sure the ZJ it came from was a v8, but it was three or four years ago now so I won't comment on the precision or accuracy of my memory either. 

I wonder if some of the extra sizes are XJ rear bars that got tossed under the MJ listing by ignorance? I was under the impression there were only two XJ front bar sizes, a smaller one and then the 28mm for the taller Up Country. 

There were a lot of sway bars mfg. throughout the XJ years and I've tried a few. My original bar was 24mm, and it was unsat, too loose. Then tried a larger ZJ 26mm bar that wasn't much better than the stock bar, then an aftermarket  28mm ADDCO bar that was waaay to stiff, then finally went to a 28mm NOS Mopar XJ bar that went on the Up Country models among others, and it is perfect.

18 minutes ago, gogmorgo said:

I wonder if some of the extra sizes are XJ rear bars that got tossed under the MJ listing by ignorance? I was under the impression there were only two XJ front bar sizes, a smaller one and then the 28mm for the taller Up Country. 

Rear XJ bars are tiny. Probably not more than 1/2-inch. I have one out in the garage, but I don't feel like going out to measure it at the moment.So I guess I have to start looking for a couple of XJ Up-Country sway bars, or a couple of ZJ V8 bars.

I have the 28mm bar off a 89-90 XJ that I stumbled upon in Winston Salem PnP a couple of years ago. 

Never seen one local. Don't know how it was determined which would get the heavy bar.........seems to be hit or miss. 

28 is the one to get, if you can find one. 

I have personally had three different sizes off XJs.  24mm, 26, 28.  I currently run the 28mm on both my XJ and MJ.  My experience is 87-90 XJs with the Laredo or Limited package will have the 28mm.

GD fotobukit screwed up my thread.  Will try to repost pics later.

I swapped to XJ bar a few weeks ago.  I am assuming it's a 26mm, but I have not measured it.  It came from a common XJ, and it is noticeably larger diameter than what I had on my MJ.  That was good enough for me.  My original rubber bushings were in good shape--better than the ones coming off the XJ and I was able to reuse them until I had more time to research my new size and buy new poly bushings later.  

14 hours ago, Eagle said:

But when I go to Auto Zone and look up replacement "bushings" (cushions), they show me 7/8" (22mm), 15./16" (24mm), 1" (26mm) and 1-1/8" (28mm).

Same experience here.  I assumeded it was going to be much simpler, but AutoZone made me realize that I had to take more time to find out exactly what I have now.  Next time I'm at Harbor Freight, I'll buy myself a caliper to measure.

Speaking of front sway bars, I have two stripped-out bolt holes on the passenger side where the bar bolts to the rail.   I had performed a swap recently to a larger diameter bar and the original bolts gave me fits during removal.  

Good grief, am I going to have to remove the front bumper to get a nut inside the rail to securely fasten these bushing brackets?  Looks like I can have nearly full access from the open (front) end of the frame rail.  Any tricks or hacks other than drilling out and retapping? (already tried that--failed miserably)  Looks like maybe Jeep welded in nuts but I may be wrong.

1 hour ago, coolwind57 said:

I swapped to XJ bar a few weeks ago.  I am assuming it's a 26mm, but I have not measured it.  It came from a common XJ, and it is noticeably larger diameter than what I had on my MJ.  That was good enough for me.  My original rubber bushings were in good shape--better than the ones coming off the XJ and I was able to reuse them until I had more time to research my new size and buy new poly bushings later.  

Same experience here.  I assumeded it was going to be much simpler, but AutoZone made me realize that I had to take more time to find out exactly what I have now.  Next time I'm at Harbor Freight, I'll buy myself a caliper to measure.

Speaking of front sway bars, I have two stripped-out bolt holes on the passenger side where the bar bolts to the rail.   I had performed a swap recently to a larger diameter bar and the original bolts gave me fits during removal.  

Good grief, am I going to have to remove the front bumper to get a nut inside the rail to securely fasten these bushing brackets?  Looks like I can have nearly full access from the open (front) end of the frame rail.  Any tricks or hacks other than drilling out and retapping? (already tried that--failed miserably)  Looks like maybe Jeep welded in nuts but I may be wrong.

Tap to 7/16 you don't even have to drill them out

9 hours ago, coolwind57 said:

You don't need a caliper to measure. Don't you have a set of open-end wrenches in your tool box?

21 hours ago, Eagle said:

Rear XJ bars are tiny. Probably not more than 1/2-inch. I have one out in the garage, but I don't feel like going out to measure it at the moment.

I measured. XJ rear bar is 5/8" diameter.