93 XJ trans leak

I have a 93 Jeep cherokee 2wd.  My problem is I am leaking trans oil out of the tail shaft.  I know it is not the seal as I have replaced it several times and the leak always comes back.  SO I am thinking that it is the bearing inside the tail shaft.  Does anyone know the part number for this and is there a write up on how to do it?  

17 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

Check the slip yoke shaft for scoring/scars/corrosion. Might be the reason you are eating up the seals.

Also does your 93 XJ have an AW4? If so, I'll give you the bushing p/n's.

Aw4 trans and there is scars.  

Tailshaft Extension Parts needed fm. Transmission Parts USA:
1. 94401, Jeep AW4 tailshaft extension housing seal, 1987-on, $3.04
2. 76635, A340, AW4, 38mm transmission extension housing bushing, $2.59
3. 94635A, A340, AW4, 35mm extension housing bushing, $4.10

Prices might be higher now.

When I did mine years ago, I pulled the tailshaft extension and brought it to a tranny shop to replace the bushing (not a bearing) & seal . The shop said don't pull it next time, just bring the truck in and they could replace the bushing for cheap (less than $40 at the time). Also the bushing had to be reamed which I couldn't have done anyhow.

Transmission USA recommended getting both bushings (38 & 35 mm) because both sizes have been found in the early 90's AW4s, according to them.

My slip yoke was also scored; I replaced it at the same time I got the new seal and bushing. No leaks or vibes since then.

6 minutes ago, HOrnbrod said:

The shop said don't pull it next time, just bring the truck in and they could replace the bushing for cheap

GOOD TO KNOW! I was going to take the tailhousing out this weekend. :thumbsup: Was dreading that...

Check with your local shop first Min. I've rammed a few beers a couple of times with the shop's owner and he probably cut me some slack.  :brows: 

Any decent tranny shop should have the correct pullers to jerk out the seal, cut the bushing out, and replace same quickly. Also I did this in 2011 - I'm sure it labor cost is more now. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2017 at 9:20 PM, HOrnbrod said:

Tailshaft Extension Parts needed fm. Transmission Parts USA:
1. 94401, Jeep AW4 tailshaft extension housing seal, 1987-on, $3.04
2. 76635, A340, AW4, 38mm transmission extension housing bushing, $2.59
3. 94635A, A340, AW4, 35mm extension housing bushing, $4.10

Prices might be higher now.

When I did mine years ago, I pulled the tailshaft extension and brought it to a tranny shop to replace the bushing (not a bearing) & seal . The shop said don't pull it next time, just bring the truck in and they could replace the bushing for cheap (less than $40 at the time). Also the bushing had to be reamed which I couldn't have done anyhow.

Transmission USA recommended getting both bushings (38 & 35 mm) because both sizes have been found in the early 90's AW4s, according to them.

My slip yoke was also scored; I replaced it at the same time I got the new seal and bushing. No leaks or vibes since then.

Did the swap of the bushing last week.  Took it for a spin and when I put the XJ in drive I get a bad vibration.  It will smooth out when I hit the gas, but there are at times I can still fill the vibration in the steering while driving.  Putting the XJ in neutral and park  will smooth it out.  I also replace all three motor mounts with brand new ones today just to rule that out.  So any ideal why I am now getting this bad vibration while before I never had it.  Maybe my slip yoke is bad does anyone have the part number for the 2wd auto trans.

If your slip yoke was bad it would have been vibrating before you changed the bushing I would think. Which bushing did you use?

Part number for the yoke is 53001987 (21 Splines) or 83503593 (26 Splines). I'm not sure what tranny / spline count you have.

I used the larger bushing.  There was vibrating going on before the change but not this bad. I’m think new bushing with out of round yoke is making the vibrating issue. Upon more testing it’s only happening when in drive. No other gear. 

Got the aw4 auto trans. I’m going to throw it up on jack stands and hoping that I can pinpoint what is going on. 

Finally figure out what was wrong. I put the trans mount and cross member on backwards. When I marked the cross member I marked it incorrect. So I looked up the part diagram to see how it was supposed to go. Thanks for the help.