Speedometer

Hello,

My speedometer cable broke, well the plastic tip that goes on the end. I have tried Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, Napa, and Car Quest. They all, except O'Reilly's, have the one that screws on both ends. O'Reilly's can't bring up a picture and when I did a search here somebody said that it was the wrong one. It was also mentioned that they lost the shipping cost. I also tried the build your own cable but the tip is too small and just spins in the speedometer hole. Can anyone point me in the right direction part number, brand, who to purchase it from etc.. 

Thank you.

It's an 88,4,0, lwb, 5 speed, not cruise control.
Happen to have a pic of the cluster side? Can almost guarantee it's the Pioneer ca3116. I ordered the other ca3068 and it was the one that's screws. It should be special order but available from oreillys I think like 30-something plus shipping. Not sure how much it was without my discount lol

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Jaime said:

Will do. I went to Auto Zone and ordered pioneer #ca3068. It won't come in until later this week. I'll let you know.

What timing....I've been looking/researching for clarity on this too. I was going to order the same cable, CA-3068, from Summit Racing tonight.

Please report back whether it is correct. 

Not a great pic I can get a better one tomorrow but this is the 3068 I still have it laying around cuz it was special order and ended up being the 3116. I can pop my cluster out on lunch tomorrow and grab pics of the 3116 and grab pics of the 3068 after work.b5988380dbd4fee7f3fa04ff5c09dc3c.jpg

Just an interesting tidbit......look at the screwheads on the face of the speedo.  They will either be slotted or Phillips.  The slotted screwhead speedo takes the plastic clip cable end, and the Phillips takes the metal one.  Or visa-versa....it's been awhile and I'm going off my (failing) memory:laugh:

Just an interesting tidbit......look at the screwheads on the face of the speedo.  They will either be slotted or Phillips.  The slotted screwhead speedo takes the plastic clip cable end, and the Phillips takes the metal one.  Or visa-versa....it's been awhile and I'm going off my (failing) memory

Non sequitur: Jeff, I'm working on a 87 2.5 base to 4.0 swap. Currently searching for the right donor xj (95? Or opinions appreciated) I had been looking at your swap write up which has been the best source of info I've found so far. However, the pictures broke thanks to photobucket, has there or will there be a remedy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I PM'd you back (albeit very late.....:laugh:).  I'm done with PB, screwem.  I still have some of the pics on my home PC.....shoot me a pm if yer looking for something specific.  Email me at mjeff87@comcast.net too.

edit:  I stayed all renix with my swap....I went from 87-2.5 to 89-4.0 so I didn't change management systems.  It's simpler that way.  If you want to go OBDII (or later), I can't really comment:confused:

18 hours ago, IronManche87 said:

Not a great pic I can get a better one tomorrow but this is the 3068 I still have it laying around cuz it was special order and ended up being the 3116. I can pop my cluster out on lunch tomorrow and grab pics of the 3116 and grab pics of the 3068 after work.b5988380dbd4fee7f3fa04ff5c09dc3c.jpg

If I understand your post above correctly, the cable you are holding is CA-3068, which has the plastic connector on the speedometer end.

If I understand your post above correctly, the cable you are holding is CA-3068, which has the plastic connector on the speedometer end.
Correct. But the 3116 also has the plastic end but a tab that clips into a groove on the speedo

When XJS went to HO in ‘91, speedometer cables went away by ‘92. YJs in ‘91 only had a pass through sensor that could be adapted for speedo cable as well as the trans controller for the AW4 or electronic speedometer.

1 hour ago, carnuck said:

When XJS went to HO in ‘91, speedometer cables went away by ‘92. YJs in ‘91 only had a pass through sensor that could be adapted for speedo cable as well as the trans controller for the AW4 or electronic speedometer.

In 1991, XJ speedo cables went away.

Here's the Wrangler cable I use on my MJs and XJs without cruise control. A little long but works well and has the white plastic clip at the speedo. 

https://www.morris4x4center.com/speedometer-cable-53005084.html

In 1991, XJ speedo cables went away.

Here's the Wrangler cable I use on my MJs and XJs without cruise control. A little long but works well and has the white plastic clip at the speedo. 

https://www.morris4x4center.com/speedometer-cable-53005084.html
Yeah, but the 91-early 92 were an adapted VSS, it screwed onto the same speedo cable drive base as the earlier ones used. It also had a direct wire line to the speedo. The late 92 up were Th one piece VSS and the signal passed through the ECM before being directed to the speedo.
One of my pet projects is using the early VSS as a base for a wired speedo conversion (along with an HO fuel sender swap one day after).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, Rockfrog said:

One of my pet projects is using the early VSS as a base for a wired speedo conversion.........

You would have to run a separate harness for the VSS signal, 12V, and ground, and figure out how to mount the HO speedo in the Renix case that would look right. That would be a real good mod for the Renix people.

HOTach1.jpg.e8c866e1ceb7269c620bd6d53193cf60.jpg

HOTach2.jpg.72ac502ad47b9a4f17cb32f1b2192352.jpgRenixTach1.jpg.3900cf073be4184bfe035ece6421384b.jpg

RenixTach2.jpg.871722fd876834d2fd0bea781437dba7.jpg

26 minutes ago, Rockfrog said:

Yeah, but the 91-early 92 were an adapted VSS, it screwed onto the same speedo cable drive base as the earlier ones used. It also had a direct wire line to the speedo. The late 92 up were Th one piece VSS and the signal passed through the ECM before being directed to the speedo.
One of my pet projects is using the early VSS as a base for a wired speedo conversion (along with an HO fuel sender swap one day after).

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I guess I don't see your point. 

the cable I referred to works on 88 to 90 XJs and MJs. 

Following this thread. My truck has cruise control and I have trouble with the cable. I was considering eliminating the cruise control. I look at Napa for a cable. The online store showed the cable for cruise. I thought the cruise control cables were NLA. I was wrong!

Napa part #615-1604

(can’t attach photo) figured it out 

FF3ADA78-F96C-454B-A5B7-BC67D21AB5DF.jpeg

IMG_1892.thumb.JPG.4bef8c6557a595265d0368a1e39faba4.JPG

Well I got the cable and installed it. I think my speedometer may also be bad. The speedometer works but the needle bounces a bit then settles down and doesn't bounce as much.

The cable is 20" longer than the original and does not have the plastic tip. It is square cable just like the other end. The best that I could tell it is just the slightest bit smaller than the plastic tip which is why I installed it.

I can only load 1 picture at a time so I'll have to send the other pictures one at a time.