87 4 cyl to 90 6 cyl swap

I have the ‘87 4.0L 5 speed harness originally from the MJ in my avatar picture with C101 connector like my ‘87 4 cyl and I’m considering a temporary swap with that and the 4.0L AW4 I have. (I can drive the AX-4 but my left leg ligaments being torn mean I need to go to automatic manually shifted if I have to)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's nice. (Is this post a question or a statement?) 

There is a question but not very clear I guess. Lol. (Jake and Ellwood interrupted my thought)

Will the C101 connectors match from 4 cyl to 6 cyl? I know later on I can swap the whole harness but the parts rig runs and I am keeping it for Emergency backup until I have the shortbox daily drivable.

So I get a call and find out an ‘87 XJ is waiting for me to buy next payday. A little bit of fixing and I’ll have 4x4 for winter and the 4.0L swap can be done complete harness and all.

On 10/14/2017 at 4:21 PM, carnuck said:

There is a question but not very clear I guess. Lol. (Jake and Ellwood interrupted my thought)

Will the C101 connectors match from 4 cyl to 6 cyl? I know later on I can swap the whole harness but the parts rig runs and I am keeping it for Emergency backup until I have the shortbox daily drivable.

I'm pretty certain you can't just unplug a 4-cylinder from the C101 and plug in a 6-cylinder. Obviously, the ECU is different, and I believe the pinouts are different.

I'm pretty certain you can't just unplug a 4-cylinder from the C101 and plug in a 6-cylinder. Obviously, the ECU is different, and I believe the pinouts are different.

I couldn’t recall if the harness for the ecu was before or after the C101. I know the TCU was because of swapping auto in before.

In the RENIX years, the ECU is behind the firewall, above the driver's right foot. And the 4-cyl only has one injector (TBI), rather than 6 injectors for the 4.0L. Like it or not, regardless of the C101 you're really looking at a complete harness replacement, not an engine-side only temporary swap.

I had planned to swap ECU anyways because I know they are different but I had the thought about how the TCU harness is between the C101 connector and the motor. I realize now the motor side would have to be on the chassis side or the C101 connector wouldn’t be as big.
I know the plug on the ECU is different (wider connections on the 4 cyl one to the harness).

On a different thought, what about using the TBI on the 6 cyl? It was brought up on the RENIXPower group a few years back. They use the same coil and ignition module but the TBI has no distributor sensors to tell TDC.