Wiper Issue

I have an '88 2.5L auto Comanche and the wiper motor in it was going slow and dying. So I went to the JY and grabbed a new motor out of a Cherokee. It had a different connector on it so I cut the connector of the old motor since it was bad anyway and wired it to the new motor. Now the issue I'm having is the wipers will turn on for 6 seconds or so and then stop, the lights on the dash dim when this happens. Any ideas?

Look up the aftermarket remanded motor to see what years it fits. If it’s not the same, then it may be wired inside differently as well or you could have the body to battery ground missing.
Or the arms may be hitting something. I have a rebuilt one that was on mine when I got it, but the screws were cross threaded holding the motor on and stripped out. I took the one off my parts rig and it’s working for now but I didn’t drive in the rain to test it since the new windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HOrnbrod said:

From what year XJ did the motor come from?

Did you have wiring diagrams for both units to match the truck harness wire functions to the new motor? Definitely sounds like the motor is wired wrong........

It was either a '94 or '95 I can't quite recall because it was over 6 months ago. I have the '88 pdf downloaded and I was reading up on the one for the new one. There is a good possibility that I got could have got the wires wrong as I've never really used an electrical manual before. I'll have to tinker with it tomorrow and see if that's the issue. 

3 hours ago, carnuck said:

Look up the aftermarket remanded motor to see what years it fits. If it’s not the same, then it may be wired inside differently as well or you could have the body to battery ground missing.
Or the arms may be hitting something. I have a rebuilt one that was on mine when I got it, but the screws were cross threaded holding the motor on and stripped out. I took the one off my parts rig and it’s working for now but I didn’t drive in the rain to test it since the new windshield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was testing it outside the compartment before I put it in because it was kind of a bear to get out of there.

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

do the wipers now act normal for those 6 seconds?

It seems like they are working like they would be if set to low.

I really appreciate the responses, thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2017 at 9:01 AM, 87Warrior said:

I'd also suggest pulling the wiper circuit breaker and cleaning the contacts. The circuit breaker is found in the fuse block and is a small rectangular box and can succumb to corrosion just like the fuses.

37133.thumb.jpg.bda9f95efff9b736cf56087e8502ca05.jpg

The circuit breaker was nice and clean when I looked at it. I finally managed to get some time to tinker with it this morning and it turns out I had it wired wrong, but it's all fixed now! Thanks guys!