"Wendy"- 88 Jeep Comanche Build

Hey peoples, I decided to start the build thread for my comanche. I got my comanche and a parts cherokee for a 2003 yamaha big bear 400 4x4 I had built up. This is my first real 4x4 vehicle and the build plan is a daily driver/weekend warrior

My build guidelines are to the rules of the 4wheel and offroad Ultimate adventure (found here {under vehicle/driver requirements}:http://www.fourwheeler.com/ultimate-adventure/2017/ultimate-adventure-application/  )

- Cage, lockers front and rear, steering upgrades, 35s or 37s, gears and other stuff

Enough of the non-sense and time for the specs on the Comanche and the actual thread

I have what I believe to be a base model of a 1988 Jeep Comanche. It has a 2.5l tbi 4banger, ax4 manual transmission (that needs a new slave cyclinder) , and its 2wd. the bench seat is ripped and there are holes in the driver side floor pan, other than that it seems to be in decent condition

This what she looked like when I got her

pictures.........

G5kAs8b.jpg?1

unMWSsI.png?1

Y9zipUc.png?1

822zxKj.png?1

The plans for right now is to pull the ax4 2wd and swap in an ax15 4x4 transmission, find a 8.25 or 8.8 rear end, fix the floor pan, swap the bench to bucket seats, swap the gauge cluster, swap the steering wheel, and some other goodies. 

The comanche that I love/inspiration:  Zone Offroad Ultimate Adventure Rig 

NAnKRt7l.jpg

Soooo far I have swapped the front clip of Wendy with the one off the Cherokee

aPuHC1j.jpg?1

I have also pulled the axle from the Cherokee and mounted it up in the Comanche, A high pinion d30

HPPPWKc.jpg?1

E6sE3CE.jpg?1

I have to finalize the steering components and the trackbar. But I want to get an adjustable trackbar and the 1ton steering upgrade

As of right now she still sits on jack stands, I am saving money to get the ax15 transmission to put behind the 2.5l tbi 4banger. I already have the np242 transfer case to mount up just waiting to get the transmission. Also I would have swapped the engine and trans from the Cherokee but I went to crank up the Cherokee and it sounds like it has a rod knock and smoke was coming out of the dipstick. So plan B is keeping the 4banger and making the best of what I have (and would anyone know how to convert tbi to mpfi??)

Currently taking out as many of the interior trim pieces as I can to paint them grey and get rid of the blue interior because Wendy will be painted royal blue, and I think blue on blue would be too much blue  :rotf:  :rotf: 

I'll keep posting as I keep getting stuff done

Soooo far I have swapped the front clip of Wendy with e one off the cherokee (and no I don't plan on doing the newer front clip)

aPuHC1j.jpg?1

I have also pulled the axle from the Cherokee and mounted it up in the Comanche, A high pinion d30

HPPPWKc.jpg?1

E6sE3CE.jpg?1

I have to finalize the steering components and the trackbar. But I want to get an adjustable trackbar and the 1ton steering upgrade

So,,, to have the later model grill and doors, does the entire front clip have to be swapped?

I have a 89 MJ 2wd and want the 97-01 grill, will I need the entire front clip as well?f40a3c0e4d1de310b3cb0a98f55d657a.jpg

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

So,,, to have the later model grill and doors, does the entire front clip have to be swapped?

I have a 89 MJ 2wd and want the 97-01 grill, will I need the entire front clip as well?

Correct if I am wrong but I believe so. You need the grill, headlights, headlight bezels, and front fenders. I'm not 100% sure though

I have a 89 MJ 2wd and want the 97-01 grill, will I need the entire front clip as well?

Correct if I am wrong but I believe so. You need the grill, headlights, headlight bezels, and front fenders. I'm not 100% sure though

Okay,

Thanks

G00SE

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Today's Project was quite interesting..... I hated the original color of the interior, and trim pieces in the comanche. I pulled out as many as I could cleaned them up and painted them grey. I personally thing they look way better. I also painted the center counsel that will be going in Wendy

F51z6TX.jpg?1

IO7WD3J.jpg?1

jkwjdCO.jpg?1

The color difference....

FsKgTp2.jpg?1

Today I also got the bucket seats out of the Cherokee. I plan on using these in the Comanche. I know the bolts won't line up but I will making something work. They seats also don't lean forward because they are from a 4dr Cherokee. I would prefer seats that do lean forward but making do with what I have lol (may get them reupholstered) . #BUDGETBUILD. I also know that the curved sliders raise you 2-3" inches higher, but I don't mind because I am kinda short compared to most people.. lol at 5'9"

J8TATR3l.jpg?1

b4G2TXhl.jpg?1

This Comanche looks familiar

Wasn't this one in the miami Craigslist for like $3k ?

The one by the 4x4rebels garage?

Haha you're from Miami too? Small world. and Yes it was being sold by 4x4rebels. I traded my atv for both the Comanche and the Cherokee. It was a bad move on my part (I miss my atv lol), I'm stuck with the jeeps now and I'm going to try and make the best of what I got. 

Also aside from that how do you like your 2.5 offroad? I think we have the same engine and I am 50/50 between keeping it or swapping it out

No progress on removing the bench because of one darn stripped 13mm nut. I have to fihure out a way to get it out. Also upon further inspection I do not think I am supposed to be able to see grass from inside the cab of Wendy  :doh:  :doh: 

vhuXBIE.jpg?1

lTqYI2o.jpg?1

So I'm getting ready to drop a bucket full of Benjamin's into my 89.

Plans are to:

Convert from 2wd to 4wd, with lift.

Change the frontend, and as much as possible of the interior to 97-01 year model.

And of course new shoes[wheels&tires]

Can this be done?

And what all should I know before breaking out of the gate with this build, any help would be much appreciated...

Oh!,,, anyone close to Cleveland,TN and don't mind getting their hands greasy I'd really appreciate the help...G00SEa87240edb1ba0fed87ef9c0e0cfa5d64.jpg7e964f7027f9cc706f7fccb136df101f.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727P using Tapatalk

Plans are to:

Change the frontend, and as much as possible of the interior to 97-01 year model.

Can this be done?

And what all should I know before breaking out of the gate with this build, any help would be much appreciated...

Oh!,,, anyone close to Cleveland,TN and don't mind getting their hands greasy I'd really appreciate the help...G00SEa87240edb1ba0fed87ef9c0e0cfa5d64.jpg7e964f7027f9cc706f7fccb136df101f.jpg

Of course it can be done. If you want to go 97+ I would just go all out (if you piece it together here and there, you'll wish you had just done it all at once). If you find a 97+ donor XJ, it will have all the parts for your 4wd swap and the 97+ swap for a fraction of the cost of doing it individually.

There are some good threads on 4wd swaps and for partial and full 97+ swaps, you should check out Alexia's 97+ build for sure (it's the best documented one ever). I have a 97+ swap thread as well you could check out.

As for the atv you traded, you'll never miss it once your Jeeps are on the road and trails. If you were close I'd be over with a case of beer and pre-greased hands. Your off to a good start!

Plans are to:

Can this be done?

Of course it can be done. If you want to go 97+ I would just go all out (if you piece it together here and there, you'll wish you had just done it all at once). If you find a 97+ donor XJ, it will have all the parts for your 4wd swap and the 97+ swap for a fraction of the cost of doing it individually.

There are some good threads on 4wd swaps and for partial and full 97+ swaps, you should check out Alexia's 97+ build for sure (it's the best documented one ever). I have a 97+ swap thread as well you could check out.

As for the atv you traded, you'll never miss it once your Jeeps are on the road and trails. If you were close I'd be over with a case of beer and pre-greased hands. Your off to a good start!

Thanks

G00SE

Haha you're from Miami too? Small world. and Yes it was being sold by 4x4rebels. I traded my atv for both the Comanche and the Cherokee. It was a bad move on my part (I miss my atv lol), I'm stuck with the jeeps now and I'm going to try and make the best of what I got.

Also aside from that how do you like your 2.5 offroad? I think we have the same engine and I am 50/50 between keeping it or swapping it out

If your just off-roading on stock gears it feels like you'll need more grunt to get through the thick stuff...

I've recently just regeared to 4.88s and lockers but haven't been off-road yet, I'm sure it'll be fun with that little bit extra pep in the axles

If your just off-roading on stock gears it feels like you'll need more grunt to get through the thick stuff...

I've recently just regeared to 4.88s and lockers but haven't been off-road yet, I'm sure it'll be fun with that little bit extra pep in the axles

I was planning going to go 5.13s and lockers as well. Do you DD your manche, because that's the plan with me. Most people say that you'll want to shoot yourself if you dd the 2.5. 

Hopefully I won't miss my atv. I just really want to finish my Comanche haha 

Sorry for the hijack of your thread Swampy...

Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other through these builds?

BTW, we'll be down your way in a couple of weeks.

Actually in KeyLargo, FL. for vacation...

BTW, we'll be down your way in a couple of weeks.

Actually in KeyLargo, FL. for vacation...

Its all good. No worries. We can definitely bounce ideas around 

Sorry there hasnt really been any update to the build thread but nothing has really happened. I should have the money next week to get the ax15 transmission and clutch kit. then its the interior that gets some love after the transmission, then lift kit, gears, wheels and tires and paint. deciding between patriot blue or royal blue or green

I was planning going to go 5.13s and lockers as well. Do you DD your manche, because that's the plan with me. Most people say that you'll want to shoot yourself if you dd the 2.5.

I mean I don't expect it to be the fastest truck in the world and I do get passed ALOT

And the gas mileage is awesome...usually I'm getting thumbs up or people waving me down just to say cool truck...

Pretty neat experience for sure..

I haven't been daily driving it the month of august yet due to the extreme heat and humidity but I'll get back to it in a couple weeks