Removable PreRunner tire carrier idea

Just wondering if y'all could lend some advice or insight. I was thinking the other day that I could make a removals me tire carrier for my Long bed mj. I use my bed to haul my quad every so often so I don't want a permanent bed tire carrier. My tailgate is really easy to remove so I was thinking I could make a prerunner tire carrier that could hold a 33 and make it so it hangs over the back. That sorta style. Then when I wanna use my bed I can just pull some pins and go. Would this be possible? I'm pretty good a fabbing stuff so building it wouldn't be too hard. Also I don't have a spare tire so it could actually come in handy lol. I just love the look of those tire carriers on anything.

Do you have a trailer hitch ? If you do How about using something that slides into the hitch ? It would be easily removable ( but heavy ) and it would be a nice solid place to mount to .

I don't but I want one. I just don't know where to get one. I'd like to get something rather then make one so that I know it can take X amount of pounds.

Do you have a trailer hitch ? If you do How about using something that slides into the hitch ? It would be easily removable ( but heavy ) and it would be a nice solid place to mount to .

I don't but I want one. I just don't know where to get one. I'd like to get something rather then make one so that I know it can take X amount of pounds.
Krustyballer16 on here make hitches . I'll get a link

http://comancheclub.com/topic/47686-hitch-plates/?fromsearch=1

I have no idea where to get a prefabed mount , but I'm sure one of the good metal fab guys on here can steer you in the right direction .

Krustyballer16 on here make hitches . I'll get a link

http://comancheclub.com/topic/47686-hitch-plates/?fromsearch=1

I have no idea where to get a prefabed mount , but I'm sure one of the good metal fab guys on here can steer you in the right direction .

Ya I think I can figure it out. I got everything to fab so

I thought about doing something like this a long time ago. At that time I was looking very closely at copying a product called the Tire Gate. Here's a link: http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Tire_gate/tiregate_prerunner_series.htm. Perhaps that could some wheels turning for you?

That's awesome I might have to do that. Thanks!

Check out Krusty's hitch for sure. Got one waiting to go in, great welds, looks awesome. But I've never had great experience with accessories that go into the receiver. To make them easy to slide in and out there's a bit of wiggle room, which turns into a lot of movement in a bike rack or tire carrier.

For a swing-out carrier, use a three point mount. One mount attaches to the stake pocket in the back of the bedside, one mounts to the bumper right below that. Those are the hinges. Have a latch on the other side of the bumper. So you end up with kind of an A-frame shape, stick the tire wherever you want in the middle somewhere. Like this:

gynFGov.jpg

No, my art isn't good enough to quit my day job.

Made a quick two-view detail of a possible hinge/latch sort of thing. Four sides of a cube with two faces open for 90° of swing. Stick a hitch pin or similar down the middle for a latch, use something a little more permanent like a bolt for the hinges.

Mounting everything out to the side means you can still use your tailgate with the tire carrier installed, since all the mounting points are out of the way of the tailgate. The carrier swings out of the way so you can still open the gate. Mounting to the stake pocket means you're not obstructing the tail light on that side, although thinking about it you might want a vertical brace in there somewhere, maybe at the end of the "door" part of the hinge, connecting the two sides of the A right at the edge of the tail gate. Depending on what bumper you have as well, you might want to forgo mounting to the bumper directly and instead figure out some kind of bracket to go between the bumper and body.

I'd have to pull out a tape measure and check, but I think a 33" tire might be a little much for what I drew, as you'd have almost six inches of tire sticking out above and below the bumper if you centre it. I like the idea of slanting it pre-runner style the way that one works that neohic posted, but I don't like the idea of losing bed space, especially since it looks like you already have a toolbox in there... if you put a quad in there, you might have to leave your spare tire at home.

my buddy's bronco had a tire carrier that went into the hitch.  rattled like a sonuvagun until we attached it to the bumper too.  ended up being a good design in the end.  one hitch pin dropped it down out of the way and the second removed it from the hitch.  I'll see if I can find a picture.

couldn't find a  pic so I drew one up.  yes, I've got mad MS Paint skillz yo.  :D

the red is 2x2 tubing, the dots are holes for hitch pins, the orange is angle brackets on the 3x5 tube bumper, and the hinge point between the 2x2 tubes is a couple plates welded to one of the 2x2s.  one pin dropped it to the ground (made for a nice step up to the 6" lifted bronco) and one more pin in the hitch freed it for removal.  should be easy to elaborate the upper part with an angle like desert racers have.  didn't help the rear departure angle though. :P

not mine. :D  the hinge makes a world of difference.  unless you're referring to having to pick up the tire each time, in which case, yes, it can be a pain if your back isn't up to the task.

also, we can't see your photo.

not mine. :D  the hinge makes a world of difference.  unless you're referring to having to pick up the tire each time, in which case, yes, it can be a pain if your back isn't up to the task.

also, we can't see your photo.

Can you see it now?

And yes, was referring to picking up the tire each time.   

This guys set up is pretty BA...

If I had the welding skills or even knew how to weld id be building on of these of my truck...

Scroll down for the pics

http://comancheclub.com/topic/44082-jams-build/page-2

Pretty much same idea as mine, just didn't run to the top corner. Probably that was unnecessary anyhow, and hard to do cleanly.:

430f6c09aee20c6b9892cab9c88f9e82.jpg

And with a tire on it,

a5b0f931ae68cdb31c4faef9a6ab107c.jpg

• 1 year later...