MJOTM - December, 2015 - daking's '88

neohic

We have just about made it through another stunning year of note worthy Comanches! Did you catch all of them?... I sure hope you did! 2015 has been an awesome year of beautiful MJs from simple to not so simple. What better way to sum things up than with this fine example of that full spectrum of stock to... well... not so stock? I give you this month's MJOTM...

funkrocker.regular.png

Image Not Found

YEAR/MODEL ●

1988 Jeep MJ / 1991 XJ parts

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE ●

1991 Jeep 4.0 Stroked to 4.7. Stage 3 Cam. Large Valves, After market springs, 1999 intake. Fuel system improvements.  Headers. full mandrel bent 2.5" exhaust. Rear mounted muffler for improved weight distribution. Through bed exit, for improved ground clearance.

DRIVETRAIN ●

1991 JEEP XJ running gear. Dana 30 front. Chrysler 8.25 rear. Lockers front and rear. 4:56gears. Slip yoke eliminator, New driveshaft's both with CV joints. Rebuilt Automatic Transmission.   

COOLING ●
HD aluminum radiator. Hi-Flow water pump. Engine Oil Cooler. Large Transmission oil cooler. Triple electric fans, removal of belt driven fan. Custom dual automatic triple redundant Thermal controller to power fans with 2 different power inputs.  Audible and visual temp alert system, to alert to over temp.

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION ●

Relocate Battery to rear. 160AMP Alt.

SUSPENSION/STEERING ●

~6" lift. SOA conversion. ACOS front coil mounts. Modified bump stops.  HD Steering. Rough country long-arm.  By-pass shocks at all corners. 

INTERIOR ●

Reconditioned the whole interior.. Seat redone, carpet. LED conversion on all lights. Up-Graded audio system, all new speakers, 12" sub, 500Watts. CB radio

BRAKES ●

Reworked the brake system. Converted rear to disk. Upgraded master cylinder.

LIGHTING ●

Replaced all lighting with LED. Rear LED lights in bumper. LED Bar above windshield. LED Bar on front bumper.  Up-graded factory headlight harness with relays.

EXTERIOR ●

Extended fender flairs. Custom rear bumper. Off-road front bumper.

WHEELS/TIRES ●

BFG Mud tires.  32" x 11.5 on 15" rims

MISCELLANEOUS ●

Onboard air, 10,000# Winch, Hi-lift jack mounted on tailgate. Custom central breather for front diff, Transmission, and T-case. factory fuel tank skid. Bed mounted spare.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

FULL BUILD THREAD HERE

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story ●

I originally bought the jeep years ago as a work truck. As I dove it, over the years I realized I had something special. The MJ started out as a 4X2 manual. After a few years of driving, I started its rebirth as a 4X4. It is called "Master Jeep", MJ.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So? ●

Lots of other good MJ builds to get ideas from. The members are very helpful.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

There you have it! I know that I've said it about a ton of other trucks in the past, but I... love... this... Comanche. It's almost like looking at an eye-spy! There are so many layers of equipment and components and other such fun things to look at! It's quite obvious that everything is there for a purpose as well. Very well done, sir. Congratulations and thanks for wrapping up this year right!

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

Nice truck. Love me a white MJ. Could you post some more pics of you trailer setup? Must have some nice roads where you come from. If I strapped a truck down buy the bumpers up here, the straps, chains whatever would be broke in 5 miles.

The Exhaust: 

Thanks for noticing the hard work put into the Exhaust. The design was to allow for a great flow, out-of-the way, and limit or remove off-road damage. 

Custom mandrel bent 2.5", modified Pacesetter header (widened the collector to 2.5"), 6" flex pipe to reduce strain on the header flange from exhaust flex, Heat wrap on header under intake, heat shield on pipe near transmission, Hi-Flow 2.5" CAT, Flow-master muffler mounted further back, Bedside exit. The Flow-master muffler is from a Mustang car, and it has the inlet and exit on same side. Kinda like a U shape on the inside of the muffler. The exit pipe goes between the frame and bed, there is a large gap there. 

Here are some pictures of the pipping. 

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Band Clamps, to allow fast removal of exhaust as needed.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

The Trailer " Trailer George CV88" is a 2015 custom built half-breed. 34' ft triple axle, ~10ft enclosed / 24ft open deck. 

The enclosed part has a 15,0000BTU AC (about 3X's larger then needed, so it gets quite cold :) ) Heater. It'll be out fitted as a mobile work-shop with every tool needed to work on any car / truck. Work benches. Seating and table for relaxing, with 2 fold out beds. The tool chest and work benches are on the back wall, for better weight distribution. (un-like most trailer setups, where the tool cabinets are mounted up front). All lighting is 12V LED, powered from 3 Marine batts mounted in a toolbox on the bed. Those batts get charged from 2 solar panels. The lights can be run for over 12hr. 

The deck is equipped with multiple lighting arrays depending on the job. Loading lights, light up the deck for easy strapping down at night. Can also be used to light up under of trucks. Flood lights, mounted high, on back of enclosed part, light up engine bay. The lighting hits from different angles and allows ANY kind of work at dark hours. There is also a 36" LED Bar that lights up the outside of the door on the enclosed part. 

There are many strap down points, all 5000#. 4500# winch mounted in toolbox is used to pull any non driving truck up on deck. The winch is wireless and there is a switch ( IN / OUT ) mounted on toolbox. Also on the toolbox is a jumper cable connector, used to give a jump to anything mounted on the bed. A 12V air compressor and 5gal tank provide air. (Not really good for running air tools, not enough flow. I use the air for tires and blowing stuff. Part of the tool collection a complete set of Dewalt cordless tools with 5 batteries and 12V charging. This is why I don't need air tools on the trailer. Also air tools weigh more then cordless tools of equal) 

We just installed the fold down ramps. Still finalizing how to secure them. I may make them hydraulic...

As as securing to the bumpers, those bumpers are one with the jeep :) . If I strap the axles the jeep body bounces. Strapping the bumpers and compressing the suspension tends to ride better.

Trailer " George CV88" is currently my largest carrier. I have many other vehicles that ride, including a 600+HP HEMI RAM 4X4, Ram-chargers, and PowerWagon. The "Master Jeep" is the smallest of them all, and leaves a  bet of open deck. 

Pictures:

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

This is from when we picked it up, clean n new :)

Image Not Found

Lots of great work on your truck mate.  :cheers:

The 6" flex you used where the exhaust pipe after the 90* bend and crosses over to the right side looks like just what I need. On the end of my header is a triangular collector right where the upper weld is on your header. Bolted to that is a 2.5" elbow, then the exhaust crosses over and is rigid all the way back using rubber hangars into a single inlet/dual outlet 2.5" muffler, then dual pippes alll the way back The problem is I can't keep the collector flange bolts tight and I'm tired of constantly tightening them. Is that why you originally used the flex piece? Do they leak at all - I've never used one.

Image Not Found

hornbrod, I deferentially recommend a flex pipe. It reduces stress on the exhaust piping. I used it in this application, because I've read where people are getting cracked headers. I wondered the same about leaking, being it is steel weave. But it does not leak at all.  

Is that a speaker magnet on your trans pan? good idea 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...