MJOTM - November, 2015 - 88Pghcomanche's '88 Pioneer

neohic

You know what people love around here? Pictures. The more the merrier! Have a look around at some of the best how-to threads around here... go ahead, I'll wait... and what will you find? Pictures. I like to think I'm guilty of it too. Sure, you can get done with a project quickly when you're not spending half your time taking pictures, but what's the fun in that?! PEOPLE LOVE PICTURES!!! Fortunately, this month's member has one hell of a build thread. November's MJOTM goes to...

the-rave-is-in-your-pants.regular.png

Image Not Found

YEAR/MODEL 

1988 Comanche Pioneer

ENGINE/PERFORMANCE

4.0 from 1999 XJ. Mostly normal maintenance & OEM replacement parts. New header and stainless exhaust.

DRIVETRAIN

Entire drivetrain from a 1999 XJ (AX-15, NP231, Chrysler 8.25)

COOLING

Radiator and cooling setup from the 1999 XJ donor. Thinking about trying the FFD aluminum radiator, triple electric fan and shroud setup.

ELECTRICAL/IGNITION

Stock 99' XJ

SUSPENSION/STEERING

Flipped the perches on the chrysler 8.25 and used the Hell Creek 3in lift kit (MT leafs, Springs and RC) 

INTERIOR

Swapped the 99' XJ interior into the MJ (dash, seat rails, seats). POR-15. Fat Mat Sound deadener.

BRAKES

Stock 99' XJ

LIGHTING

Stock 99' XJ

EXTERIOR

Removed about 25 years of dings and dents. Prepped & painted the body/underbody. POR-15. Rescue Green. Nates offroad rear bumper. Rhinolined bed. Downey SST bed cover.

WHEELS/TIRES

Just finished restoring the original wheels. Hope to have tires mounted soon. Currently running 31" Michelin LTX M/S on 5 spoke XJ wheels.

MISCELLANEOUS 

New headliner (Steve, SMS headliner). Hurst AX-15 short shifter.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

FULL BUILD THREAD HERE

Remember That One Time?... Tell Us Your Best MJ Story

Countless random compliments at every stop sign, red light or gas station.

CC is Awesome!... Why Do You Think So?

Backdraft, Rymanrph, Shelbyluvv, 87Warrior, and countless others who have done great write-ups made this an easy swap. Especially this thread http://comancheclub....97-swap-how-to/

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Wow!... just wow! Admittedly, I'm not a huge fan of a '97+ swap, but this one is perfect! All the interior upgrades and amenities without the generational exterior change. Bravo, sir! Beautiful truck and congratulations! Enjoy your month.

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

This is my new favorite 97+ swap. The half and half '99/old school interior matches better than I thought it would and I like that you kept the old school exterior look. The lift and tires match perfectly, and it's all tasteful and understated. Brilliant truck.

I've never been a fan of the 97+ swap either, but this one is as close to perfect as I've seen. The swap is both subdued and aesthetically pleasing. Had to look long and hard for anything in the interior I would change. The only thing I would recommend is using the 95-96 XJ all black version of the inner door handle plates vs. the chrome plates, and skip the chrome plates on the arm rests. As far as the exterior, I wouldn't change a thing. You nailed it. Well done.  :cheers:

Its great being MJ of the month!!

This is my new favorite 97+ swap. The half and half '99/old school interior matches better than I thought it would and I like that you kept the old school exterior look. The lift and tires match perfectly, and it's all tasteful and understated. Brilliant truck.

Thanks.

Found a place that will rebuild the 99 XJ radio and add a very subtle aux port. Hope to have it done and swap it in over the winter.

I've never been a fan of the 97+ swap either, but this one is as close to perfect as I've seen. The swap is both subdued and aesthetically pleasing. Had to look long and hard for anything in the interior I would change. The only thing I would recommend is using the 95-96 XJ all black version of the inner door handle plates vs. the chrome plates, and skip the chrome plates on the arm rests. As far as the exterior, I wouldn't change a thing. You nailed it. Well done.  :cheers:

That is a great idea regarding the inner door handle plates and the arm rests. I'm going to try and track down those parts and give it a go.

Thanks.

Terrific build. Well deserved. 

Thanks!

great job, truck looks better than new..

Thanks!

I like it, it's mainly OEM but the nice paint job really pops (and the fact that it's not a factory color). Only thing missing is the J E E P decal on the tailgate ;)

I've waffled on the J E E P rear tailgate decals. At times I want to instal them but also enjoy the clean look without them. One day I might install them.

Thanks

I like it, it's mainly OEM but the nice paint job really pops (and the fact that it's not a factory color). Only thing missing is the J E E P decal on the tailgate ;)

kinda looks like one of the rarer XJ colors:

71TwW1sFeAL._SL1500_-e1423276204441.jpg

One of my favorite colors ever!

Its a polarizing color. Its grown to be one of my favorites also.

i will echo the statement of not being a 97 swap fan, but this one is very well done.  i'd love to have that in the garage.  

Thanks

I don't mind the new body swaps, but i actually did the exact opposite, I did new doors and panels with old dash.  i just prefer the full window, and my original  doors were rotted out

The tin worm chases us all in the snow/salt belt. Your truck and doors look good.

When I purchsed the truck the original engine had poor compression, grinding peugeot ba-10/5 and hacked-up wiring. I'm happy its now driveable and on the road.

I am a big fan of this truck. It is perfect. Those saying they are not a fan of the 97+ swaps have never driven a OBD-II MJ. It's MJ Heaven!

Congrats on a very well executed truck!

Thank you sir !! I enjoyed building it. Very happy with the results and love driving it. The information from your build thread and a few others was very helpful. Thanks again.

That's rescue green too. That color was first available on the JK in 07.

I was referring to the baby poo green XJ color called Citron Pearl found on a handful of 96-97 XJs. the one above might be rescue green, it was just the first I found.

Looking up "rescue green" it is close, but definitely a JK era originated color. But I too thought of the citron pearl first.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rescue+green+jeep&client=ms-android-att-us&source=android-browser&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIlNjdubTzyAIVCz0-Ch0_EAIw#imgrc=mG-LKtdHConPiM%3A

That's rescue green too. That color was first available on the JK in 07.

I was referring to the baby poo green XJ color called Citron Pearl found on a handful of 96-97 XJs.  the one above might be rescue green, it was just the first I found.

I was referring to the baby poo green XJ color called Citron Pearl found on a handful of 96-97 XJs. the one above might be rescue green, it was just the first I found.

Looking up "rescue green" it is close, but definitely a JK era originated color. But I too thought of the citron pearl first.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rescue+green+jeep&client=ms-android-att-us&source=android-browser&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAmoVChMIlNjdubTzyAIVCz0-Ch0_EAIw#imgrc=mG-LKtdHConPiM%3A

Wow. I've never seen a Citron Pearl XJ. I like it !!

If you guys ever come across a citron pearl xj (with a manual transmission) for sale send me a link. I would love to pic one of those up or maybe that amber fire pearl color.

My MJ is rescue green. Glad to know it was first used on a JK in 07'

My MJ is rescue green. Glad to know it was first was used on a JK in 07'

As was stated originally. Some missed that.  It looks great on your MJ with the black highlights.   :cheers:

EXTERIOR

Removed about 25 years of dings and dents. Prepped & painted the body/underbody. POR-15. Rescue Green. Nates offroad rear bumper. Rhinolined bed. Downey SST bed cover.

My MJ is rescue green. Glad to know it was first was used on a JK in 07'

As was stated originally. Some missed that.  It looks great on your MJ with the black highlights.   :cheers:

EXTERIOR

Thanks !

Anybody notice the subtle body modifications done prior to the new paint job?