Let's Go Camping!!!!!!

Hello all.  I wanted to gather opinions here, seeing as how y'all are the experts when it comes to the 'Manche's.  This summer, I will be conducting some field work for my employer, in which I will be required to basically live out of my vehicle in areas ranging from wooded mountains in South-eastern New Mexico to the deserts of far West Texas. We will be operating in the vicinity of populated areas ( think approx 50-70 miles), but we will mostly operate on our own. The extent of this "camping trip" will be for about a month; from June to July.  In this part of the country, we don't get a whole lot of rain during this time of year, but we do get extreme temperature changes.  During the day, it can get as hot as 110 degrees, while at night, in the open desert, it can drop to the low 60's, to mid 50's.   Now, this is mainly a mental exercise, but I will be taking suggestions from here as to what some of the future mods will be to my Comanche to get it to be able to pull off stints such as this.  We won't be doing any XTREME ROK KRAWLIN!!!!!!, but we will definately be driving over some badly maintained fire roads, gravel utility roads, and at times, make some not-so-deep water crossings and maybe have to scramble up some jeep trails and ride some sand dunes.  

My knee jerk reaction to this scenario is to take my ZJ.  Why?  Well, it has a fantabulous suspension for fast, long distance off roading, is dead reliable, has plenty of lighting, and , if push comes to shove, I can sleep in it.  The problems it has is that, quite frankly, it has crappy cargo room, it sucks gas down compared to the 2.5 MJ, and I already have it set up for what I want it to do.

So let's look at what I have to start with:

1987 Jeep MJ

2.5L 4 cylinder (runs  GREAT and is surprisingly capable and frugal after fixing the vacuum and electrical issues it had) 

AX5/NP231 swap currently in the works  (Ditching the AX4) 

Non C Clip Dana 35 in rear.  Originally came with 3.55's, but will be swapping in a set of 4.11's and either a Lock Right or a Spartan... maybe a Detroit if I can swing it.

HP Dana 30, matching gear set, open diff.  EBC USR rotors and green stuff pads. I like em on my ZJ....

I currently have the stock rear springs, ZJ V8 front springs with Energy Suspensions isolators and Skyjacker 10 stage Velocity Sensing shocks at all four corners.

At this point I have insgtalled a pair of Hella Rallye 2000's, have plans for a new front and rear bumpers, and, to deal with the weight increase, I will probably step up to a pair of 3.5-4" springs in the front and maybe add a leaf from a XJ pack to my rears.  

Oh, and I'm running 31x10.5R15 BFG T/A KO's on 15x8 aluminum wheels.

What else would you guys add?

Was gonna say pucks and 31" TA KOs, but you're on it.  I'd add an jerry can for fuel, first aid kit, good fire extinguisher, a 20-30 gallon water tank for drinks and showers (navy baths) - just use an ice chest, hi lift, extra serpentine, extra engine sensors - all of them, extra oil, coolant, gear oil, PS fluid, 3-4' of heater hose, spare rad hoses, maybe a spare alternator and ECM, Some of those JB weld sticks in case you puncture the oil pan, couple tubes of RTV, spare water pump, Army Poncho liner - no need for a sleeping bag it'll be too damn hot, bug spray, pillows, hammock (just hang it off the back of the truck to another vehicle as trees will be sparse) add in a couple of tarps for shade, HF solar charger for the battery and whatever gizmos you bring or an inverter, a good offroad GPS one with topo maps, a big cooler with lots of beer. 

What else did I forget?

oh yeah, duct tape and bailing wire, lots of it.  Maybe a spare battery and a good set of jumper cables and a couple of 6011 rods so you can stick weld if you had to.

Also get a block of dry ice and put it in the bottom of your cooler, then pack the ice and beer on top.  You'll have ice for days....a lot cheaper than a yeti cooler.

third edit:  a .22 pistol with rat shot for snakes.

fouth edit:  get some Chevy drop shackles, will give you an inch or two of lift in the rear to help with the weight of the gear in the back.  Most auto parts stores have em.

Surefire and Streamlight have got me covered on the lights; scout, pistol, handheld, and headlamps are in the gear, along with plenty of batteries. Ammo....let's just say I'm ok on that end. Lol. I DO need to re-stock on paracord. I've been braiding a lot of stuff lately. As for refular rope, what do you guys like?

When the girlfriend and I go we just toss everything in the back of the truck and head out. 98% of the time we just take a tarp and spread it over the bed  the secure it with 3 tie downs running under the truck works great. Metal is at a nice temperature and keeps you comfortable pretty much all night. But I have a 7' bed.....the only time there was an issue was when the tarp sagged down due to 4" of unexpected snow.....

I'm sure you'll thought of tools too. I prefer my Craftsman 500 piece and Torex set, both wrench rolls, CO2 bottle, hammer, dead blow and since it doesn't sound like you are running duel batteries another battery. Damn thing as been worth its weight in gold several times.

Yup, tools definitely making the trip.  Good idea about the tarp.  That should free up some space and serve other purposes if need be as well.  Speaking of tools, what kind of in-bed storage do you guys use?  I've been eyeballing the boxes that big rigs use under the doors next to the diesel tanks, but can't seem to find any used or cheaper ones.  

Oh, as far as the dual batteries, I don't currently run them, but I'm thinking a pair of AGM style 51 series batteries intended for a Honda Civic should not take up a lot of space and should provide a good safety net.  I was thinking of the Optima Yellowtop deep cycle/starting batteries.  Another idea that crossed my mind is to run a 58 series Yellowtop or a straight deep cycle in the stock location and to use a small Braille battery behind or under the seat as a main/starting battery.  Those things are tiny, very light weight, and put out a surprising amount of power.  Any others I should look at?

Bout 100 ft of double braid natural rope like the old tug o war rope

Cool deal. Going on my list for sure.  Excuse my Noob-ness, but, is there a preffered material for rope?  Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with nylon and some other synthetic material ropes.  Should I be looking at other types?

oh yeah, duct tape and bailing wire, lots of it.  Maybe a spare battery and a good set of jumper cables and a couple of 6011 rods so you can stick weld if you had to.

Also get a block of dry ice and put it in the bottom of your cooler, then pack the ice and beer on top.  You'll have ice for days....a lot cheaper than a yeti cooler.

third edit:  a .22 pistol with rat shot for snakes.

fouth edit:  get some Chevy drop shackles, will give you an inch or two of lift in the rear to help with the weight of the gear in the back.  Most auto parts stores have em.

Bailing wire and duct tape are always in the bag of basics behind the drivers seat. ;)  I was actually talking to my brother earlier this morning about stick welding with a battery.  Glad I'm not TOO far off base.  Beer may not keep so well, unfortunately... so it will be augmented, and to a certain point, replaced by Jameson's....and Cohibas.    :fine print:

As far as the rat-shot, I keep a ruger super 6 in .22 in my tackle box loaded as you described for just such an eventuality.  Rattlers in the desert seem to like sitting by the pond....

Alright, so far the To-Do list for this type of 'Manche adventuring includes, but is not limited to:

1.  Building a viable dual battery system, or transporting  a spare battery

2.  Tool/hard parts storage

3.  Building secure mounts for jerry cans, or adapting existing milsurp units to fit

4.  Beefing the suspension to deal with the added weight

5.  Find a viable water storage container

6.  Rope, rope, and more rope

7.  Not discussed, but always on the back of my mind: comms.  CB with weather band should be enough, I think.

8.  Stick welding rig.

9. Recovery gear.

Anything else y'all would do to the truck?

You did not say how many others are going with you.  I am thinking there will be one or two vehicles and the company is not providing a truck?  Personally, you should take the Grand Cherokee and tow a trailer for your supplies. You said the Grand Cherokee is dead reliable so you can ditch several hundred pounds of spares and tools "just in case".

Cool deal. Going on my list for sure.  Excuse my Noob-ness, but, is there a preffered material for rope?  Unfortunately, I'm only familiar with nylon and some other synthetic material ropes.  Should I be looking at other types?

Natural material rope like a juke or hemp rope

You did not say how many others are going with you.  I am thinking there will be one or two vehicles and the company is not providing a truck?  Personally, you should take the Grand Cherokee and tow a trailer for your supplies. You said the Grand Cherokee is dead reliable so you can ditch several hundred pounds of spares and tools "just in case".

Yeah. We're down to personal vehicles, mainly in an effort to mantain a lower profile. The ZJ is a beast, but I always carry spare parts and tools. I feel naked without them. As far as the trailer is concerned, I've seen them get hung up on stuff that's milder than where we're going. The number of people going will be between 7 and 8. I'll be traveling in my own vehicle, wuth perhaps one more person on board There will probabluly be another 3 or 4 vehicles, most larger than either of my Jeeps. One of the guys usually takes a Ford Expedition out there. I don't know HOW he avoids body damage sometimes.

Natural material rope like a juke or hemp rope

Cool beans. I actually saw some hemp rope at my local mom and pop hardware shop yesterday going for a pretty reasonabke price. I'll pick some up.

Yup, tools definitely making the trip.  Good idea about the tarp.  That should free up some space and serve other purposes if need be as well.  Speaking of tools, what kind of in-bed storage do you guys use?  I've been eyeballing the boxes that big rigs use under the doors next to the diesel tanks, but can't seem to find any used or cheaper ones.  

I got a Knaack Gang box mounted in the back of the truck with 4 1/4" bolts with big ole washers on it. That box is not being broken into. 

looks like this http://www.knaack.com/jobsite_storage_equipment/view_products.php?p_id=2

Mine happens to be a Knaack, which is like buying the Craftsman tool over the Husky tool just more money. Thank fully i picked it up off craigslist cheeeap ($30). There are plenty of other companies with better prices and theres not really much of a difference. Wish I coulda found a bigger one but after buying the truck, fixing the problems, and buying school parking permit I was running a bit low and i needed a box. 

And as for the dual batteries I am not running a dual battery system. Too much work right now. I just go and yank the battery out of the girlfriends Civic and take it with me  :rotf: I carry a multimeter (might want to add to list or at least a test light) and if the battery gets low (never has but if it did I plan to) recharge it with the truck.

Not sure how much you are wanting to invest, but have been looking into using my MJ as a part-time camping truck since I love to do my off-path adventures and fishing.  

If you can make an organizer for all of this gear the sort it out in the bed, you can create a surface to lay over top of it and use to sleep on.  All it requires is a topper to really pull off, and while hard toppers are hard to find for an MJ, there are canvas toppers out there that would be just as good as a tent.  If you have a 6ft bed you can go with a Softtopper that even collapses to the front of the bed to make access easier.

This is kind of a rough idea of what I am talking about.  My only change would be to make the sleeping platform into 3 or 4 sections that could be easily moved or removed for access.
100318_TacomaCamper_06.JPG

Nice. I'll look up those boxes. as far as the toppers... I HATE the way they look, but if they work..... I was actually toying with the idea of building a cage for the bed and using a bikini top with roll down sides for an old 4Runner as a type of broke-red neck ARB safari tent.