79 J20.... Building The Diesel Truck Ive Always Wanted!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so much ease of swapping but ease of keeping it going. Minimal electronics and the dependability. My uncle and cousin (who are also my neighbors) are as big into the Cummins diesels as I am Jeeps so I have all the knowledge and expertise Ill need. My end goal is to build a simple, reliable, built to work and unique kinda truck I can be proud of for about 1/3 of the cost of a brand new diesel pickup.

Alright fellas, the critical 2nd part to this project has made it home! Now its up to me to get this project rolling!  :jump:

10006243_10152368938239834_1071117069349

1989 Dodge W250 series pickup. 12 valve Cummins Turbo Diesel, 216k miles but VERY healthy. Automatic trans with 10k on rebuild. Dana 60/70 axles (fresh rebuild on D70) Professional built custom 1 Ton springs, and most important.....a Solid Chassis! Just what ive been looking for!

10313784_10152368938074834_8684216580808

The J20 heads to its home @ the garage tomorrow and within the next week ill begin the tear down process. Keep checking back, this has only just begun  8)

• 3 weeks later...

I will be swapping the J Truck body onto the Dodge chassis.

My MJs have been keeping me busy in the garage along with my Quad so i havent had much time to pick away at this sadly. Anyway though i have begun to remove parts from the J truck in prep of removing the cab. Ill be sure to keep ya updated of any major progress as it happens.  :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What are your plans for the interior? Are you planning on making the Jeep gauges and heater controls play nice with the Dodge stuff or will you be fitting the Dodge gauges and heater controls into the Jeep dash?

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some progress done with this project this afternoon! :)

10534078_10152582925919834_3633430166534

Ill get the cab set on a cart and placed in the garage for interior work this winter later this week. I Also got the Dodge set in is home for the next few months and ready for some flying wrenches!