8.8 Axle Swap Into A 90 Comanche

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Being a c-clip axle isn't a downside, have you seen an 8.8 fail due to c-clips? And I'd question being 20% stronger than a d44.

Don't forget they commonly spin the axletubes inside the diff housing under a load. This is usually solved by welding the tubes to the housing. I used 55% nickel rods when I welded mine.

Not exactly accurate. I have seen a couple of 8.8's fail and lose an axle shaft in person and know of more. That is why the NHRA requires that they c-clip eliminators for many classes. This is very serious on a drum brake rear as the whole shaft/brake/wheel assembly will leave the vehicle in the event of a c-clip failure. On a disc rear this is mainly mitigated by the bolt-on caliper retaining the disc and keeping the whole shebang from moving out laterally. Granted this is for a different scenario involving higher horsepower and more traction than most of us deal with but it is IMHO worth mentioning.

what is the amp output of the welder you are using?

Millermatic 251

250 A at 28 VDC,

40% Duty Cycle

200 A at 28 VDC,

60% Duty Cycle

Why do you ask?

Just wondering, I have been looking into getting a better welding machine than my 90 amp Harbor freight. It's good for small things, I already killed one while working on a small project but, thankfully the warranty replacement was simple.

That is quite an upgrade. The Miller will run you over $2K. I am a 1/4 owner of a Millermatic250. If you have some buddies who could also use a welder enough to justify the price then going in on one like a timeshare is not a bad idea. 

Being a c-clip axle isn't a downside, have you seen an 8.8 fail due to c-clips? And I'd question being 20% stronger than a d44.

Don't forget they commonly spin the axletubes inside the diff housing under a load. This is usually solved by welding the tubes to the housing. I used 55% nickel rods when I welded mine.

Not exactly accurate. I have seen a couple of 8.8's fail and lose an axle shaft in person and know of more. 

So they 8.8's you witnessed break were due to the c-clips?  Or they broke a shaft and the axle walked out because it's a c-clip axle?

Would take quite a side load to break 'due' to c-clips.

Open axle?

I cannot find a 3.55 limited slip ford 8.8 so that kinda sucks

You have a Pull-a-Part near you? Mine had decent amount of them, actually I had a hard time finding a 4.10 open axle. Only had one explorer sport with one in it, I got lucky.

I don't think there are any open 8.8 in 3.55. Why wouldnt you want the limited slip? :hmm:

I have 2pull a parts not a single 3.55 in any of the explorers.

According to ranger station and explorer forum 3.55 are only available in open axle not ls.

I had limited slip so I didn't wanna down grade traction got a 8.8 w4.10 gears limited slip. And I found a dana 30 w 4.10s for 50

I have 2pull a parts not a single 3.55 in any of the explorers.

According to ranger station and explorer forum 3.55 are only available in open axle not ls.

I had limited slip so I didn't wanna down grade traction got a 8.8 w4.10 gears limited slip. And I found a dana 30 w 4.10s for 50

Dana 30 with 4.10s for $50 bucks??! Hook a brother up!

Open axle?

You have a Pull-a-Part near you? Mine had decent amount of them, actually I had a hard time finding a 4.10 open axle. Only had one explorer sport with one in it, I got lucky.

I don't think there are any open 8.8 in 3.55. Why wouldnt you want the limited slip? :hmm:

Put a Spartan locker in it.

Open axle?

Gotcha, I didnt know that you couldnt put a locker in a limited slip dif.

Open axle?

you can but you have to change out the carrier I think

Open axle?

you can but you have to change out the carrier I think

Correct, it has to be an open carrier. I will say so far I really like the spartan. I almost never notice its even back there on the pavement. I dread the day I ever have to remove it though lol. Damn c-clips

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...