Comanche Vs 85 Toyota

kaiserslaveray

Before any Rover and GAZ fans get pissed at me lol,

here's how the Rover car company started making 4x4's after WWII on Jeep chassis'

http://www.lrfaq.org/NL.MM_firstlandrovers.html

They even made sure to destroy the 'prototype' (LR body on a Jeep frame). :yes:

The GAZ 4x4 story is similar to Toyotas,

GAZ got their start making Ford Model A copies for the Russian market,

then when Jeeps showed up,

they used their tooling to make their own version,

the GAZ-67.

Complete with a Ford Model A 4 cylinder engine.

http://ucapusa.com/heritage_gaz.htm

I'd also point out that Rover's first (and pretty well only) V8 was an engine that Buick built for a couple years in the early 60's and quit using because of low reliability and high cost. To the few of you who watch Top Gear, sound anything like a Range Rover? heheh...

Electrical issues on a comanche? Oh yes. I have had tons of them. They are very common. I have had to replace my battery several times since 1987. My factory radio puts out crappy sound and I recall changing bulbs on several occasions.

When comparing the Yota to the MJ people keep mentioning longevity but without adding that the 4.0 easily puts twice the power to the ground as the 22RWhatever. Maybe power means something to the driver, maybe it doesn't. But it is worth mentioning. Although many Toyotaphiles deny it the 1st gen 3.0 V6 had numerous issues with Toy quietly fixing things way past warranty, extending warranties, and buying vehicles back. Of course Jeep had issues too, they just didn't have as well funded of a PR department to cover things up...:-)

In my neck of the woods MJ's have rust issues. Yota trucks don't have rust issues they have "my truck disappeared into a pile of dust" issues. This may be less pronounced in other climates but if the Yota's rust issues declined there so would the MJ's.

When comparing the Yota to the MJ people keep mentioning longevity but without adding that the 4.0 easily puts twice the power to the ground as the 22RWhatever. Maybe power means something to the driver, maybe it doesn't. But it is worth mentioning. Although many Toyotaphiles deny it the 1st gen 3.0 V6 had numerous issues with Toy quietly fixing things way past warranty, extending warranties, and buying vehicles back. Of course Jeep had issues too, they just didn't have as well funded of a PR department to cover things up...:-)

In my neck of the woods MJ's have rust issues. Yota trucks don't have rust issues they have "my truck disappeared into a pile of dust" issues. This may be less pronounced in other climates but if the Yota's rust issues declined there so would the MJ's.

The only difference in rust issue's is the MJ's rust from the inside out and Toyota's rust from the outside in. :D

• 6 years later...

I've had the 78 Comanche (J10 Gladiator), the 92 Comanche, the 91 LandCruiser PU (J70) and an 84-4WD Toy PU (Hilux). The Jeeps were nicer handling, faster & more nimble on the road. The longevity of their engines and transmissions similar, as long as fluids were regularly replaced. Toys were more resistant to neglect, although they could fail too. Renix system on an 87 Comanche sucked, that one I had, got rid off quickly. Off road, stock, the Toyotas have more articulation. Once you install front Quick Sway Bar Disconnect, articulation is par. Angles are similar; most pickups can benefit from OS tires, 35 or bigger. 22R does not handle OS tires well, even with 5.29 gears. 4.0 has no problems with OS tires. The Gladiator and Landcruiser frames are super heavy duty. The Hilux Frame is strong for what it is, a compact pickup. The MJ Comanche's frame is a mixed bag, as it is made from a compact front  mated to a half frame rear.This could have been horrible, but it ended up working well, as it is a lot more rigid than most small pickups. The Toyota, by comparison, feels wobbly. So yeah, the Comanche is a better handling, faster, more powerful PU than the Hilux, at the expense of questionable electronics and more maintenance. For work, I always picked up the Hilux, but the Comanche was a superior personal vehicle.

I am glad that we had awesome Solid Axle, normally aspirated, simple options to play with. The present is not so kind to budget offroaders.