Comanche Vs 85 Toyota

kaiserslaveray

Hi everyone I have my mind set on a Comanche I've had '85 Toyotas in the past and totally loved them. They were good all around trucks. I saw a Comanche on the freeway and totally forgot they even existed! Iv'e been researching them and they seem to be great vehicles too. Please tell me I'm making a good decision in going from a Toyota loyalist to a new (old) jeep owner..... Or not and why

Because comanche's are better.

Parts interchange with cherokees so lots of parts available.

Big ton package on long beds 2205 lb haul capacity. Very reliable 4.0 engines, good for 250K easily with proper maintenance.

Because they are JEEP's, Duh. :doh:

Because comanche's are better.

I have really not even been able to find them head to head on the net either. For all the reasons Comanche addict said I've been drawn to the Comanche. The main thing I'm worried about is all the electrical on the Comanche.

Comanche Addict...

That's not the name.

That's a thing that gets attached to everyone after a certain amount of posts.

Name is a bit higher.

Electrical is easy on the Comanche. Don't let it stop you.

There is tons of info on this site about how to fix everything.

Toyota's are OK, but not for me.

Comanche's are better. :yes:

We even have our own smiley... :MJ 1:

There is a reason yota's are used all over the world. That and Nissan's. But there is also a reason we all own comanches. We love jeeps, are jeep loyal, and wanted a truck. I get the best of both worlds, a jeep and a truck, all in one.

I also don't see many comanches but I see plenty of Toyota's. I had my manche for 2 weeks and had 3 people ask to buy it. Nobody ever offered to buy my tacoma.

Didnt Toyota stop using a solid front axle in 85 or 86? Comanches kept the solid front axle through the production run in 1992, and continued on through the Cherokee through 2001 (or was ir 2002). I too have nothing against Toyotas. I was kinda looking for one (or an old Ford F-truck) when the Comanche fell in my lap. Its been love ever since... especially since finding this site. After watching Top Gear UK do what they did to that Toyota, you almost HAVE to respect them. Just like was said, Comanches are better! Welcome to the madness, and feel free to ask ANY questions you have.

I am not going to be popular here: But, if your old Toyota is running fine, then you have no reason to buy a Comanche. The 4 cylinder Toyota engines will run just as long as the Jeep 6 cylinder 4.0 and deliver better fuel economy. Both trucks use the same AsinWarner automatic transmission. Never buy a Comanche with the 2.8 ltr V6 GM POS engine. As you have been told, MJ trucks have there electrical issues.

Depends on what you want to do with your truck, I use mine to haul "stuff" for the house, not off roading. I like the long bed and the Big Ton package the lets me haul 2200 plus pounds with no worries. But these are old trucks and you are going to have to work on them. Just like you have done with your Toyota. But with the Toyota, you know what you have done, with a "new" Commanche, you will not know what has been fixed and how well it may have been fixed.

Pick your poison sort of thing - - - I drove nothing but 2nd Gen Toyota 4X4 PUs from 1986-2010 - Bought my 1st new in 86 - Sold it still running strong @ 335K - only repair was a head gasket about 250k - timing chain & water pump same time - Chain was ready - WP JIC/Prevent maint - - - HILUXs then became a hobby - I'd search for Low mile/Bargains - Typically add all the SR5 upgrades, lots of soap/water & sometimes paint - would drive 6mo/1year or so & sell after I found the next - never a prob selling - $1500 was least profit IIRC - 14 drivers - 2 for parts

Bought my 1st MJ, a stock 87 in 2010 - Rust free 4X4 auto air 4.0L - added PW,PL,PM,B seats,console, leather, FoxWood & more - Repaint & had a great looking 140K DD - Sold to a Fella not too far away - Part of his bucket list I'm afraid - I plan on buying back, GL willing my health - - - Current PU/DD is an 89 - Extra nice also - POs did a few DA Mods but no real probs correcting - bought one XJ for parts

My last Hilux was an Estate sale - Genuine 29K, no rust, no frills 4X4 extended cab - Did a repaint, added air, PS, factory bronze glass, all SR5 brown int incl pw, pl, pm, seats, console & remote, all SR5 ext chrome, - DD wine colored show stopper - The truck I was never gonna sell . . . . .

Concerning stock 85 Toyota trucks Vs Jeep MJs - - IMO:

Mechanical - Can't beat the 22re - HG typical 200K - T chain 100-200K - Only gripe was the steering knuckle grease seals/whatever they're called - 50-60k replace -

TPS on injected eng was minor pain to adj - No RMS leaks - No OF leaks - Most everything easy to work on if/when - I know nothing about the AMC 2.5 or the Toy turbo - Jeep 4.0L is the way to go if you want HP - My 89 has a 91 Ho & I love it - No comparison - 4 liter MJs flat get it

Body - Rust prob on made in Calif beds & frame dog leg esp near gas tank - Toy bed super easy to remove - No cab probs - No rusted floors - Can still get Bedside panels - Fiberglass beds if you wanna pay - Jeep rust probs well doc'ud

Interior - Toss up - Both easy to upgrade/repair - Jeeps cab is wider - Toyota had x cab in 85, not too hard to come by -

Suspension - Toss up - Go as high/low as you want - Although in stock form the Jeep has a much nicer ride, by quite a bit - that all changed in 86 but this is about 85s - - - If you want firm try a toyota one ton - A good friend has a pristine 85 ton & another guy I'm acquainted with has an 84 with an alum dump flat bed he fabed - both fantastic trucks - neither of the creeps will sell - - - All 80s import trucks were held to the HD brakes, springs, gvw & tow spec thanks to the Chicken Tax - Google it - interesting reading if you're into pickups or Cliff Clavin type stuff - - No DW inna Toyota BTW - - 4WD Toys have 6 lug same as Chevy & others rims

Parts availability - Toss up - Gazillions of XJ/MJ made - Ditto for Hilux/4runner - One thing many aren't aware of is JDM parts from Japan - Wife's niece - Her husband was stationed in Japan a few back & he could send the stuff free APO - - I added AC to 4 toyotas - Easy & Dash removal is also EE - Don't know but this mod doesn't sound so nice inna Jeep

Lots of Nit picking stuff concerning this MaryAnn/Ginger thing like WTF goes on with the keys locked in & the wife's once again needed/lost the spare - I drilled my Toyotas knobs so a wire hook grabbed easily - No biggie-wish I didn't know-inna MJ wi PL - Can't put a HiLux grill in upside down for that Arkansas look.

Can't go wrong with either IMO - MJs cost less - Only 2 other MJs I've seen in my part of world - Lots of 2nd gen Yotas running around - My 89 gets lots of attention - So did my 85 - LOL - pick your poison!

:thumbsup:

even the 2.5l 4 banger goes forever, mine is currently at 283,xxx and running like new. I would never buy a toyota anything because well......I hate japanese cars and trucks, but besides that american trucks can match and outperform those little TOYs anyday.

I was on the Toyota forums and I found that nobody had anything bad to say about the Comanche.

I don't have a truck at present I used to have Toyotas.

Correct the Toyota was IFS 86-present and the SAS kits will set you back more than the truck is worth in my opinion. Only the '85 had Fuel injection and a Solid axle. The Comanche seems more ready to go out of the box than the Toyota also a less expensive buy in for the Comanche. The Toyotas will set you back $5k to get a stock truck with decent maintenance records at best on it. Whats really selling me on the comanche is the increase in power the Yotas come with 115Hp on a good day if its fuel injected.

A good friend of mine is a Toyota person. We love to take jabs at each others vehicle of choice. It boils down to personal choice. I like Jeeps, he likes Toyota. Either one can be built into your dream rig.

Or you could be persuaded by facts!

http://comancheclub.com/index.php?/topic/35629-1989-Jeep-Comanche-"car-Wars"-Comparison---Laserdisc-Conversion

Watch the video :)

What's better about the (stock) Toyota?

Gas mileage

Ground clearance

Axles (vs D35)

They have that cool emergency brake lever that pulls out of the dash

What's better about the (stock) MJ?

Everything else ;)

They both are pretty cool,

good luck with whatever you decide.

I like them Toyotas.

Don't like following them on the trail cuz their Yota super low gearing! (aftermarket usually)

I am aware that 85 pickups/runners are something special. Id have to have one fall in my lap before I'd consider buying one but I can appreciate a good well built machine.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone I have my mind set on a Comanche I've had '85 Toyotas in the past and totally loved them. They were good all around trucks. I saw a Comanche on the freeway and totally forgot they even existed! Iv'e been researching them and they seem to be great vehicles too. Please tell me I'm making a good decision in going from a Toyota loyalist to a new (old) jeep owner..... Or not and why

Just buy a Comanche and sell it if you don't like it. I guarantee someone will buy it.

Weren't the Japs driving Toyotas when they invaded Korea in 1938?

I don't know,

but Toyota copied the Jeeps in Japan when they designed their TLC's,

even to the point of calling them Jeeps in their first ads here in America.

Willys stopped that pretty quick lol.

Even Toyota's first 3 engines, Type A, B & C

were all direct knock offs of the Chevy Stovebolt Six.

You could even interchange parts.

I believe they got permission from Chevy for the B engine,

and the C was just a stovebolt 6 minus 2 cylinders.

I'm not trying to put down the high quality stuff made by Toyota,

but Toyota, Land Rover, the Russian GAZ, and others got their starts building vehicles based on the Jeeps America shipped all across the planet. :yes: