Mb-Mj Diesel

It's no secret that I would like to add a diesel powered MJ to my fleet. My neighbor just revealed to me that he has a 1983 MB 240D in his garage he has no use for. He suggested a possible trade for one of my MJ'S. Anybody here familiar with anyone doing the sawap? Or know of it having been done? I'm not to hot on giving up a MJ but maybe I can interest him in a XJ.

I am in the process of building a MB turbo diesel '86 MJ. The engine swap is done and it fits like it belongs in there. The main hurdles are the motor mounts, oil pan/steering bars clearance and oil cooler mounting. I used hydraulic Ford F150 motor mounts for the 300 six. 6" lift and an extreme drop pitman arm and I still had to notch the pan. Used the AX-15 transmission with the adapter from mercedesdiesel4x4.com.

• 6 months later...

The 240D is usually known to be the best MB diesel in terms of fuel economy, but it's also pretty under powered.  You're looking at maybe 65HP and 100 Ft-Lb of torque.  With the amount of effort involved to do these kinds of swaps, I'd look for something with a little bit more get up and go.

I can't remember where I saw it but I remember seeing an MJ that someone stuffed the 4bt's smaller brother in, the 3.3bt, the industrial engine. That engine is a bit smaller, but weighs similar to our 4.0s, and he was mighty impressed with it.

I can't remember where I saw it but I remember seeing an MJ that someone stuffed the 4bt's smaller brother in, the 3.3bt, the industrial engine. That engine is a bit smaller, but weighs similar to our 4.0s, and he was mighty impressed with it.

Wonder what it costs compared to the 4bt....

Also there was a thread from someone on here who did an om617 swap...don't remember much about it other than good details were few and far between.

If you are looking for om617 jeep conversion information and adaptors, take a look at this site:

http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/

Understand the Comanche om617 conversion on here was destroyed in Catrina

Wonder what it costs compared to the 4bt....

Also there was a thread from someone on here who did an om617 swap...don't remember much about it other than good details were few and far between.

I am in the process of building a MB turbo diesel '86 MJ. The engine swap is done and it fits like it belongs in there. The main hurdles are the motor mounts, oil pan/steering bars clearance and oil cooler mounting. I used hydraulic Ford F150 motor mounts for the 300 six. 6" lift and an extreme drop pitman arm and I still had to notch the pan. Used the AX-15 transmission with the adapter from mercedesdiesel4x4.com.

Any chance you have a build thread anywhere on this mj? Seems like a good upgrade from the 2.8 in my 86, just trying to find out more about the swap

• 5 months later...
Interesting.  Not sure that I'd be a fan of that extended front clip and what that's gonna look like.  Wonder if that E-300 engine is any good........ ?

Jeep Cherokee Mercedes Diesel Conversions

00R0R_8wwAhVYahZk_600x450.jpg

Northwest Diesel Offroad is now offering 89-2001 Jeep Cherokee Diesel Conversions. Diesel conversions using the bullet proof OM 617 Mercedes 5 cylinder Diesel. These engines are the finest diesel engine Mercedes has ever made. The are durable and trouble free, and no electronics to worry about.. They can also be run on alternative fuels, turnkey special order vehicles available. Conversions can be done on the AX-15 5 speed or automatic using a GM transmission. Please call for details, serious inquires only. http://www.northwestdieseloffroad.com

Pictures are a custom installation of a 99 Mercedes E-300 210 Diesel.

The stock SD22 naturally-aspirated engine is pretty weak at just 65 HP, according to the Wiki article, but I expect the turbocharger adds a fair bit of kick. What I found attractive about this setup is that the seller has already done all the work: it is complete and ready to bolt in... and he claims 42 highway MPG with it in his XJ. Such would just make me wave and smile all the more at the traffic zoom-zooming by me. :D

I wish I could be so lucky as to find a similar setup for sale at similar price within 500 miles. I sure think it is worth a hard look, and if it seemed all the seller claims, I'd buy it if I were you, Jim.

We have an MJ with an Volvo D24 TIC engine still using the AW4 automatric running around here. Owner use it with an Meyer snow plow in the winter and it works good.

Another friend of me have an MJ with an  Nissan 2.7 TD engine and 5 speed and transfercase out of an -88 Nissan Pickup. It fits realy good only thing to remold was the radiator support and make new engine mounts in the engine bay and redo the electrics, and we made an new fuel tank  to replace the rusted out original.

I will try to get some pics of it soon.

Its here on CC!!

http://comancheclub.com/topic/40407-cummins-b33-powered-mj-build/

Its here on CC!!

http://comancheclub.com/topic/40407-cummins-b33-powered-mj-build/

I was about to post my link....mine isn't done yet but is coming along. I don't think there is a write up of one in a Comanche. My motors (2 Cummins B3.3s)cost me $4400. They are harder to come by for "cheap". O thought that was pretty cheap considering they are $5000 each new for not even a running motor. And mine had 0 hours on thrm, never been fired up before. Read my build...

The MB 240D engine will at best make 68 hp, I've owned a few of the cars and while fun, they're slooooow. Unfortunately, there's no torque upside either.  Great engines, but that's a lot of work to go through to be unhappy with the performance.  Milage - maybe, maybe mid-20's.  If you go for a OM617 turbo you'd get around 125hp, however, check the engine carefully, they are long-lived, but if there's oil anywhere it shouldn't be find another one, overhauls are very expensive.  Upside on both - easy to work on, parts readily available.

... 1981 Nissan SD22 diesel engine...

Anyone know if this is the same SD22 used in forklifts?

... I've always been a fan of the SD22 engine...

Could you give us a quick run down on the pros/cons on thing engine? Not sure why I'm intrigued by this right now... found some information on it, but always nice to hear from someone who knows some stuff about things and such.  :idea: