How Much Is My Comanche Worth?

birdie5

Hi, I found this site through jeepforum. I have an 87 jeep comanche, she just had a new engine put in but now she is making a dut dut dut noise when I drive and I am tired of fixing her. I think she needs a different owner and I don't even need a four wheel drive anymore so it's just not worth it to me. I have no idea what she is worth though - can someone help me out?

betty001.png

Thanks

GA

Options??? Sorry, don't know it's an '87

Manual - 4cyl

The old engine had a little over 200,000 then she blew a head gasket, had that replaced, she kept overheating, so had a new engine put in then she kept overheating, turned out it was a hole in a pipe, I don't even think she needed the new engine. I think the new engine is a '94 and has 110,00 or 120,000 thousand miles, I can find out for sure. I have only had her for around nine months, I bought her for Maine. The guy that had her before logged all the stuff he did in the drivers manual, he took care of her - inside is in really good shape. Radio does not work but everything else does.

Her name is Betty :) Here are some more pictures. Should I take a picture of the engine?

http://lostabird.com...ty/betty002.png

http://lostabird.com...ty/betty003.png

http://lostabird.com...ty/betty004.png

http://lostabird.com...ty/betty005.png

http://lostabird.com...ty/betty006.png

Well, it looks decent. On the high side I'd say $1500...maybe. :crossfingers: Seriously. Not much more than that. On the down side $800 real world value. Going to need some work...and if you're trying to sell it, don't tell potential buyers that you're tired of fixing it. Buyers would have some downward leverage with:

1. 1987
  2. 4 banger
  3. AX4/5? BA/10?
  4. ...but what has me worried the old "hole in a pipe" issue. It may make a big difference WHICH "pipe"??
  5. Nice looking interior :thumbsup:

Betty is a lot prettier than my MJ... when I bought him for $400 delivered...we'll call him Floyd, or Jeff...or maybe Shane.

...soooo, you're single right? That's why you named your Jeep "Betty"?

I think you're right, I think it is a 6cyl because when I first got it I had a tune up and he told me it was only firing on five cylinders. I had to get it repaired the first day, sorry. Not sure why I thought it was a 4 cyl.

What is a Dana 35??

$1700.00 for a used motor you could of almost paid for a new rebuilt motor and install. Best thing going is its a Cheif that should help sell it I love Cheif`s . I am thinking $1500- $2000.00 maybe up here in the north down south where theres rust free trucks a plenty you would be lucky to get 500-800. Just my opinion which you did ask for.

100% 4.0 inline six, And the engine may be a 94, but you still have the 87 Renix system. As for the rear axle, to be honest i'm not real sure what that is, deffinately not a Dana 44. Probably just the angle of the photo, but if i had to take a guess i would say its a dana 35. Dana 35 is just the name for that particular rear axle, Dana is the manufacturer, and 35 is a measurement of which i am not aware. As long as the truck is not driven by the mad hatter it will be fine. The D35 has a real ugly history of being the worst rear axle ever.

What speed is your transmission?

5spd = BA-10 :ack: or AX-15 :rock on:

4spd = AX-4 or the AX-5 neither are that good or that bad

The air blows but they told me it was the old system and you can't get the freon for it anymore??

Thats malarky, yes R-12 isnt made anymore, but there are plently of people/mechanics who can still get a hold of it and recharge your system. BUT if i were you i would do the proper conversion over to R-134a so that it won't be a hassle for anyone down the road.

Dana 35 is the less desirable rear end for these trucks or any jeeps for that. I know the $ you put into this was a lot but you have to understand your cutting your loss not selling an investment. Down here in FL that truck depending on rust that is, if you can get it to run ok for the test drive $1,000 low 1,500 med, and 2,000 on the high side. More then not your going to sell this not to a jeep guy but some high school kid looking for his first truck or a "project". These are not desirable meaning they sadly don't have the following of the wranglers and what not there just old trucks that not many people know much about. Good luck on the sale sorry to break it to you. Hope she go's to a good home :D

Brandon

You probably got the 4 cylinder and the 4.0 confused. That is a 4.0 six cylinder.

Nice looking truck. 2000 max. The folks on here speak the truth.

Sorry you paid so much for an engine. I'm assuming that is installed.

These trucks simply are not worth much. They are 20 - 26 years old and not collectors.

Just all the freaks on here love them, but the market simply is not that great.

Most people buy them and their cherokee cousins because they can get them cheap and abuse them off road.

Good Luck.

She is a five speed.

Well this is depressing - I have spent almost 5 on her!

Yikes!

You have 2 choices. Cut your losses and sell it for what is worth or keep it and fix it up.

If you keep it, I suggest you start learning how to fix things yourself. It can be very rewarding.

GA

Options??? Sorry, don't know it's an '87

Manual - 4cyl

The old engine had a little over 200,000 then she blew a head gasket, had that replaced, she kept overheating, so had a new engine put in then she kept overheating, turned out it was a hole in a pipe, I don't even think she needed the new engine. I think the new engine is a '94 and has 110,00 or 120,000 thousand miles, I can find out for sure. I have only had her for around nine months, I bought her for Maine. The guy that had her before logged all the stuff he did in the drivers manual, he took care of her - inside is in really good shape. Radio does not work but everything else does.

Her name is Betty :) Here are some more pictures. Should I take a picture of the engine?

An '87 with a junkyard engine in it really isn't worth all that much. The body on yours isn't totally trashed, but it's not exactly showroom mint, either. It's a Chief, which means at least it's not a base model and has guages rather than idiot lights, but the most valuable part of the truck as it sits is the roll bar. The Dana 35 rear axle is also not a "must have" choice. The wheels aren't from an '87, and they also aren't alloy so it sorta makes you wonder why somebody even bothered to put them on.

I paid $500 for an '88 Chief in better condition with lower miles, and I paid $600 for an '87 Pioneer in better shape with lower miles. Both of those were around 100,000 miles when I bought them. The sad truth is that you have a truck that is realistically worth between $500 and $750. If you have twice that much in it and don't want to sell for less than what you have invested, I believe you have yourself a long-term investment on your hands. I know I wouldn't pay $1,500 for it, and I'm not saying that to be insulting. What matters to me is the body, interior and chassis. I can do mechanical work -- I'm not good at body work.

I sympathize with your situation. At this point, I have invested between $3000 and $4000 in my $500 '88 Chief, and it doesn't run because the clutch rusted to the flywheel. I don't have the time to fix it, the frame is developing a crack, and I should sell it -- but I'd have to give it away and I'm not quite ready to do that just yet.

Yeah, maybe I should just keep her. I do like her, I just don't think I can do the work myself and I do not have a trustworthy mechanic here. I don't know....ugh

Thanks for the help and info everyone

The only reason you can't do the work is if you convince yourself that you can't.

Can't never did.

Get some tools, and ask lots of questions on here. You'd be amazed what you can do once you put your mind to it.

Check out my build thread.