WRZ's comanche Now the 96 od2 swap in progress

Wrz

Alrighty, finally did good this weekend and got the shop cleaned out at work and got my manche in. Changed out the rear main seal, pretty straight foward, and the soap and straw trick works great, i found that out after i tore the first one.

Some misc pics, hopefully my exhaust goes on today

more to come....

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got my exhaust welded up and installed, sounds pretty good with the Gibson, now that the exhaust is not so loud I have some other noises that need to be addressed. Also basically lost my front tire, had a snapped stud and I'm not sure how bad the threads are on the other 4, idk how they came loose

Pictures to come in the am

Here are some pics of my exhaust, Its 2.5 from the muffler back and 2 1/4 up to it

i went with a Gibson Performance 55122S Superflow CFT Muffler

exhaust sounds pretty good, not too loud and no droning in the cab

Nice start to the new year, second time driving and i shear a stud 

And my bumper in progress ( can't wait to get this thing mounted up

Thanks to Dirteatr717 for welding her on up, should have it this weekend

And on a bad note i still have an oil leak.... looks to be my RMS again, and my comanche has no balls...no get up and go....

..to be continued 

• 4 weeks later...

well its been awhile since i updated, been busy with work and not in the mood for the comanche, Well I'm at it again and here are some pictures and plans

the original engine is giving me too many issues and and the tranny is lazy. Ive put too much time and money into this bueaty and she needs to be right

Factory nos aw4 tranny

1988 xj engine with 51k original miles

Plans-

strip accessories

clean & paint

get ho heads re-done

Install ho heads

ho intake & exhaust manifolds

new 4 hole injectors

install new freeze plugs and gaskets

Swap all brackets and acessories from old motor

Will be swapping in this weekend with some luck on my side

few pictures

Does not look like a 51k engine, but its been sitting for years and i know all he history on it ( been in the family since new)

and i also scorred these limited xj seats with matching door panels for a steal

not sure what I'm going to do with the seats or panels yet.

more to come 

well started to strip my motor of the acessories, pretty sad tearing into all my hard work i did, but hopefully will be worth it in the end.

Few pictures of the tare down

Installed most of my brackets and acessories

The manifold upgrade went on like a charm, i was worried about the p/s setup, but it was a direct bolt on with the newer ps pump and bracket.

should have the rest of the acessories on tomorrow then i will start swapping sensors, and all that fun stuff

Bought some new 4 hole injectors to go with the new engine

Cleaned and painted the fuel rail and misc

Installed the rest of the pulley's and fan

New fuel regulator

Installed injectors and rail

and pulled my engine, everything came out smoothly with only one broken piece, PVC but not the end of the world

and then the engine/tranny/t-case fell off the hoise, dropped like 5 feet and spilled out all over the place, Luckily no one was hurt, just a few black and blues lol

(notice all the oil and speedy dry)

Should have everything swapped over and installed tomorrow

stay tuned 

did not get as far as i planned, went out saturday night and got a lil banged up lol.

Got all the sensors and accessories swapped over, just need to swap over the flex plate dust shield, which i relized after i mounted the trans to the motor. 

few pictures, nothing too crazy, more to come this week

Image Not Found

• 2 weeks later...

Holy #|%^ the comanche started up today and pured like a kitten, no leaks anywhere that I saw. Sadly no pics or video till tomorrow, whet to get the down pipe welded and had to leave it overnight since the exhaust donut had to be ordered

Well i had a great weekend, comanche runs and drives great, No leaks and everything looks good, Just need a new p/s pump since mine is shot. Did not take too many pictures and a video yet. Got dark fast tonight

Here are some misc pics

Finally trimmed my engine mount bolt and got my oil filter on

Installed a 2004 wj coolant bottle, Looks more factory then the one i had before

Drove her to the exhaust shop to get my down pipe welded to the rest of the exhaust

And went to work on my day off to mount my rims and tires up

Saldy thats all i have for now, The new tires and rims lifted my mj about 2 inches from the fender to the floor all around. Next on the list is to put my interior back together ( wiring issues all fixed now), Get a front alignment, a 97+ shield installed so my pass side floor does not get flooded again, and level the front of my jeep out but going 1.5 inches more 

And if everything goes real smooth pickup/install my rear bumper, and install my frount hitch i got for christmas

:banana:

Had some time this week and decided to add some speakers and tweeters

Alpine Type R's

had a power steering leak, and decided to change everything while i was in there ( durango gear box is in the future)

And installed, my power steering fluid is really bubbly and it still squeeks but no leaks, think it might be spinning the wrong way with the belt.... going have to have to investigate this tomorrow

Rims and tires installed

don't mind the duct tape, have some leaks due to no trim, but getting the 97+ trim and shield installed Friday along with a front end alignment

More to come, pictures don't do the jeep justice with the cell phone flash

Well no good updates tonight...drove the Manche to work so I can get my shield installed in the morning and the death wobble was horrible, power steering works when it wants to....and all in the process she caught fire. Luckily I was able to hit the median, pop the hood and get it out. Battery jumped loose during the wobble and was caught against the hood

;(

Got my new shield put in with the 97+ trim, and dropped her off for a front end alignment this am.

few random pics

Actually looks like a truck now lol . :MJ 1: .

Lifted the front of the comanche another 1.5-2 inches to level it out. Finally have it at the stance where I want it. Got my front end aligned but need to go back later this week.....steering wheel is still upside down, and still have a lot of play so I ordered a Durango box that will go in as soon as it gets here. Also ordered a new speedo gear to correct the speedometer. Death wobble is better but still can't go over 45

Well the parts pile is starting to get big, just need time to install all the parts. So far I got my military battery terminal covers, new universal battery, steering shaft, should have my gear box, box brace and speedo gear today.  Also bought some 70th anniversary jeep patriot seat covers and am in the process fitting them. Passengers side is done

pics to come tonight

Truck is coming along nice man!

I myself got a parts pile at home waiting to be installed but won't do nothing unless it's driving right....

Congrats

thanks and i hear ya, i always have time to order the parts and make a pile, but never enough time to do the installs

Some pictures of a few things ive been working on this week

Old and new steering wheel, need to take a picture of it installed

Fuel pressure gaauge

Some damage from the battery fire

Leveled out front end

Looking good brother! What color paint you going with?

Been debating over the last couple months, i really like the moss pearl green PJN paint code, and the new wrangler dune color

i will pull the trigger on one of those when its gets nicer out and i can try some body work