5.5" $600 Mj Lift - Cheap, High Quality, 100% Complete Lift [Please Read Note]

Nice write up. I purchased my commanche (89 sportruck shortbed white and black w blue interior) and the po had done almost the exact lift. The only major difference was he used Rustys coils. It rides good but I'd spend a few more bucks for a stiffer set. And don't forget when goin spring over rear, add the axle tube diameter into your "calcuated" lift height. I droped in a free 9" and now the truck went from a 2" rake to a 4.5" rake. This lift can fit 33's with lite fernder trimming.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write up. I just ordered all the parts. Lets see how this turns out.

What shocks should I order? for the extra height?

I ordered Bilstein 5100 #24-185943 shocks for the front. For the rear I am unsure since I still need to decide if I want to do spring pad mounted shocks or weld tabs on to the axle.

Nice work, will definitely help me out as I finalize my build list. With the sway bar links and adapters, what goes on at the connection to the axle? The bushing is eliminated, replaced with a U bracket? Does the adapter ride off to the side or straddle the connection point. Thank!

Nice work, will definitely help me out as I finalize my build list. With the sway bar links and adapters, what goes on at the connection to the axle? The bushing is eliminated, replaced with a U bracket? Does the adapter ride off to the side or straddle the connection point. Thank!

The bushing is retained in the new link. The adapter bolts through the top bushing and bols to the sway bar.

I had it visualized upside down, got it now thanks! Have you fit the e-brake cables and brake hoses? About to pull the trigger on your p/n's...

I fit the front brake hoses and they work great. It took a bit of figuring out to oriented them properly so the hoses pull away naturally from the tires. I have held the rear hose and cables up to check lengths, but not yet put them on. I am dropping the rear axle off for work today and will not be getting it back until next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions..

Shims to align the LCA, did you use the factory ones? How do you get the adjuster to fit? (NOTE: I'm using factory control arms, for now..)

Front Brake hoses, can you post a picture of how you mounted them on the caliper? Cause, I have them installed, and at full drop, they are tight. any flexing and they may snap.

Also, on the XJ they show braces that support the control arm drop brackets. The go all the way to a cross-member and support the back of the drop brackets. I found a site that sells them for the MJ, cause the XJ ones won't fit.

Questions..

Shims to align the LCA, did you use the factory ones? How do you get the adjuster to fit? (NOTE: I'm using factory control arms, for now..)

Front Brake hoses, can you post a picture of how you mounted them on the caliper? Cause, I have them installed, and at full drop, they are tight. any flexing and they may snap.

Also, on the XJ they show braces that support the control arm drop brackets. The go all the way to a cross-member and support the back of the drop brackets. I found a site that sells them for the MJ, cause the XJ ones won't fit.

I did use the factory shims and it looks like I am very close to where I need to be. The LCA bolt is moved forward 0.5" with the drop brackets which is nearly perfect for taking up the difference in lift height.

As for the braces, I am not worrying about them. The MJ already has much more bracing than a XJ with the stock LCA pocket.

I had to put in an extra bolt to get the tabs to stay still instead of wobbling. Make sure to slide the metal bracket all the way to the end of the line. I did this by twisting a screwdriver between it to loosen the metal, slide it, and then clamped it again in a vice.

gallery_1_12_503.jpg

The hard portion of the line I routed between the bleed nipple and upper caliper bolt.

gallery_1_12_55848.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the back brake hose on about 5" of lift. Thanks again for researching the p/n's.

teje9ava.jpg

To use existing bracket had to modify the hose fitting

zy9y7uta.jpg

The metal is soft, filed the hex off and made it round like OEM fitting

te8unu9e.jpg

Brake hose retaining clip is a Crown p/n 637427 was $1.99 from Quadratec

uraqehy6.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I lifted mine 4.5", and did not use the control arm drop kit. My lifted MJ drives perfectly at all speeds. Not sure what drivability issues they are referring to when they state:

"This kit is used to lower the upper and lower control arm mounting points when the XJ Cherokee is lifted at least 4.5". Lowering the control arm mounting points reduces the arms angles and substantially improves ride quality and handling."

The lowering kit also greatly reduces ground clearance behind the front tires where you need it when coming off a rock. I'm not sure I can justify the expense for a 4.5" lift.

• 1 month later...

Any difference, except for price?  Even though i am in no position to be buying parts for a lift at this moment, i am considering buying these simply because they are priced so low. 

http://mudflaps.com/cart.html

http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.com/Suspension-Lift-Kits/Rubicon-Express-Suspension/Rubicon-Express-Components/Suspension-Components/Coil-Springs-Spacers/Rubicon-Express/Rubicon-Express-Coil-Springs-MJ-XJ-5.5-ZJ-4.5