2001 Eliminator

SOA with 2wd drive springs should net somewhere between 5.5" and 6.5" depending on the axle and perches and the condition of the springs. I think mine was closer to the upper end of that range than the lower.

Oh okay, please forgive my newb question. lol I don't know much about MJs, I'm on page 10 now and I love this, wanna come help? I'll buy as much beer and food as needed. hahaha

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan is absolutely correct. Personally, I ended up with 6.5 inches using the stock D44 perches carefully cut off and rewelded. In hindsight, I should have gone with longer perches to avoid axle wrap as I have a touch of it under hard acceleration. And hey, don't sweat the newb questions. We were all new at one point in time. Whitehouse to Dayton is a heck of a long drive to come help, but I'm down. I have family that lives in Huber Heights I haven't come up to visit in about 13 years!! Two birds, one stone. Plus he's a big car customizer with a full shop to work out of. His focus has been on old lead sled Mercury's.

Ryan is absolutely correct. Personally, I ended up with 6.5 inches using the stock D44 perches carefully cut off and rewelded. In hindsight, I should have gone with longer perches to avoid axle wrap as I have a touch of it under hard acceleration. And hey, don't sweat the newb questions. We were all new at one point in time. Whitehouse to Dayton is a heck of a long drive to come help, but I'm down. I have family that lives in Huber Heights I haven't come up to visit in about 13 years!! Two birds, one stone. Plus he's a big car customizer with a full shop to work out of. His focus has been on old lead sled Mercury's.

Oh damn dude my girlfriends grandma live there and my grandma lives right out side of Huber Heights. That crazy dude! I really want to do the swap. But I'm torn on what I want to do. I guess it all depends on when I sell my cherokee. I can't use it for the swap. the body and interior is almost perfect..but it has 230K miles on the old 4.0..lol Id hate to see it die just cause of my selfish needs. lol you know what I mean?

I know what you mean. If you want to do the swap bad enough then go for it. If its not in the cards with your current XJ then just wait until a good donor beomes avalible. A word of advice though. Whatever your cost estimation is on the swap, double it. There were so many hidden costs that I didnt think about. However, all in all, it was well worth it. :thumbsup:

that looks good, are my eyes decieving me or do i see alot of unercut on the welds for the d ring tabs?

I didn't notice any undercut. But I'll look at it again. If I were to make a wild @$$ assumption, I'd say its because I didn't put the flap wheel too close to the weld and its just a line of discolor. I guess I'll have to get some closer more detailed pictures of it when I get back to it.

That bumper needs CHROMED to go on the back of that shiny black truck ;) Looks sharp, Mike.

Man, I'm afraid if I chromed it, Don may show up knocking on the door demanding for me to hand it over!!!

Thanks for the compliments fellas. Tomorrow is the day for it to be finished.

My brother, a can of black rustoleum is waiting on the shelf begging you to be faithful. Its like a stripper, not that good looking in the sunlight but everyone will still be jealous afterward.

That sounds like a good idea bro, but I'd rather her be good looking in the sunlight and still make them jealous!

Done, with more pics to come:

Well guys. No pics, but the last couple days I've had an odd whine on deceleration at anything over 35mph. I put about 150 miles on it and the whining got progressively worse and louder. Got under the truck yesterday and looked around and wiggled everything from the transfer case on back. Put the truck on a jack and jackstands and rotated the tires. Something felt "off". I decided to change the gear oil (less than a year old) and inspect everything in there as the noise was coming from the rear. I couldn't find any odd wear patters. No shavings in the oil. Everything in place where it should be. So I dropped the drive shaft and went to wiggle the pinion to see how tight the bearing is. Bingo! Pinion was loose and the pinion nut had backed off about 2 to 3 turns. So much so that I could turn it by hand. So I promptly hunted down my 1 1/8 socket and cranked it back down to the required 220ft/lbs it needed. Put fresh oil back in and flushed and filled the t case while I was at it (oil was more brown than red), then set off for a test drive. I ran the truck up to 75 and let off the gas and coasted back down to 20. No noises. No whining. It was quiet as can be.

I just wanted to share my experience with you guys in the event that any of you have a loud whine on deceleration only, it may be worth it to check the pinion nut for tightness before you lose the pinion bearing or chew the teeth up.