2001 Eliminator

Yes. There are a few clearance issues inside the dash to make a double din unit work. Along the top is a lip that hangs down. Its the seam for two halve of the vents where they snap together. I cut the lip out of the way and used that same epoxy I have pictured to "glue" it back together as one piece. Also in the bottom corners there's plastic that needs to be notched as well for clearance. It doesn't need to be cut all the way out, just notched some. You see what I'm talking about when you look in your dash.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No real updates other than enjoying driving in some colder weather. On my way to work today I noticed the odometer reading.

I realized I have put 10,000 miles on this thing since last December. Boy, how time flies and the miles tick away.

No real updates other than enjoying driving in some colder weather. On my way to work today I noticed the odometer reading.

I realized I have put 10,000 miles on this thing since last December. Boy, how time flies and the miles tick away.

Wow check out that oil preasure guage. Nice truk dude

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I think the oil pressure gauge was on the fritz at the time. It normally reads 50 - 60 pounds cold and 40psi hot at speed.

On another note, I went to the junkyard yesterday to scope out an MJ that recently showed up. Scored a complete spare gray interior. There were also 2 97+ XJ two door models there, so the seat tilt mechanisms from both XJs were taken. Neither had power windows, so I missed out on the drivers window switch and trim pieces. Oh well. I felt like it was my birthday just having found them. I may go back in a couple days and get the MJ tailgate which was in perfect shape as well as the parking brake assembly as spares since they can't be sourced anywhere. Also got to meet fellow MJer Adam "NTXmancheman" while at the yard. Super cool dude with a nice Comanche as well. Didnt get any pictures of our trucks at the yard, but made sure to take a few snapshots after having a celebratory quarter pounder...

Hey Mike, Adam tagged me in a pic of you guys at the junkyard on instagram haha were currently scheming up a trip to goto Moab next summer with a few other guys! also wanted to know what black lights you have on your front bumper and how you like em :waving:

Nick, those lights are Hella 500 Black Magic. I got them from Quadratec. They're pretty nice. They are really bright at night. Well, they were until I compared them to the Osram 85 Watt headlights set on high beams!

Moab sounds like a good idea. I havent been there since october of 04.

Hey Mike, Adam tagged me in a pic of you guys at the junkyard on instagram haha were currently scheming up a trip to goto Moab next summer with a few other guys! also wanted to know what black lights you have on your front bumper and how you like em :waving:

hell yea we are!! :rock on:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I almost had an update on my truck. I dug out my old Cobra CB from my XJ and decided to put it in the truck. Looked around and couldnt find an antenna mount I swore I had. Also realized after measuring, the antenna cable I had was a few feet short. Today was the last day of my vacation and since I had spent a week and a half working on the sons truck and the CB kind of beat me, I decided to what any normal person would do.

I put down the Cobra and picked up a King Cobra.

Is the truck done yet?

My truck? Yeah, pretty much, I guess. I still need to put the CB in. I plan to order that JCR DIY rear bumper on black friday. And I'd like to line-x the bed. But other then those little things, I'd call it done. Then again, are they ever really "done"?

No sir. The Phoenix isn't done yet. I'd say somewhere around the halfway point. I still have to put the 8.25 under the back and install new shackles while I'm at it. Once that's under it, it should be ready to go to the paint shop. That's gonna take a little longer than expected now since I had to put a new transmission in the wife's car a couple weeks ago. However, once it does get the paint and body work done, its just a matter of putting everything back in. I have all the parts for it stored in the shop. Drivetrain, interior, wiring, extra goodies, etc. Just a matter of assembly at that point.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you working in the middle of a forest?

Sort of. I have 10 acres of property way out in the sticks. There is an old barn and rent house on my place that I use from time to time. My cousin has a 10 acre lot next to mine and has just recently built a house on it and moved there. He's slowly building a shop to do welding jobs in. For now his welding table is out in the elements until funds allow the shop to materialize. I do the bigger jobs out there because my neighbors frown on a lot of noise and such coming from the garage. I think they would tar and feather me if I had a half stripped XJ shell in the driveway.

Thanks for the comments guys. Building this truck was a plan and a goal of mine for quite a while now. It holds a certain sentimental value that I can't place a price on. Because of that, I didn't want to cut any corners or half @$$ anything. I have to be honest though, it was actually a little longer than 27 days. I started working on it about 10 days before I started the build thread. And I didn't consider it done until I could drive it legally. As to using 2wd leaf packs instead of 4wd. Well the simple answer is that it was a 2wd truck when I got it and I didn't want to spend money on other springs if I didn't have to. Also I had read that the 4wd packs sit higher. I wasn't interested in 8+ inches of lift after the SOA and wanted to keep it low as possible. For something that could be a toy as well as a DD, it needed the best compromise of off road capability while still maintaining the best on road manners it could get. Hope that answers your question!

How much lift did you get after you did the SOA swap?

SOA with 2wd drive springs should net somewhere between 5.5" and 6.5" depending on the axle and perches and the condition of the springs. I think mine was closer to the upper end of that range than the lower.