2001 Eliminator

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finished replacing the rest of the cooling system today. New water pump, OEM thermostat, OEM upper and lower radiator hoses, heater hoses, and an upgrade to the ZJ fan clutch. Previously, the running temp @ 85F with the A/C on was around 235F. After the 3 core CSF it dropped to roughly 220F. Now with the system backflushed like crazy and replacing everything else, it barely touches the 210F mark. Looks like its running exactly 195F. Looking at the water pump and the thermostat that came off, I would bet they were originals. With 235,000 miles on them its no wonder they were getting tired. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper with the results. Of course the real test will be this August when temps are pushing 105F in the shade!

Also changed the oil today and put a relay and delay timer in for the radio so it will automatically unlock the screen for video without using a toggle switch or anything.

Sorry, no pictures of today's progress. It has been raining on and off all day and I didn't have a lot of time to get it finished. Next bit of progress coming next week will have some pictures though!

Radio is flipping awesome!!! Mine is a flip up and covers my vents when open. :(

Great job!!!

Thanks for the compliments! I'm really enjoying it. The screen covering the vents was definitely a major factor in swapping it with the double din unit.

Mike, thanks for the info on the harness. I plan on upgrading my Delta housings to an HID setup in the future. Ill do the same thing with the driving lights as well. Definitely going to need the harness upgrade

RockMJ

• 2 weeks later...

Lately my sub has been cutting out randomly. The way I had it all installed, the sub box was wedged between the seat and the amp on the drivers side. I'm assuming the amp was just simply getting hot due to lack of air circulation. Anyway, I decided to rearrange everything on the back panel to free up some space behind the drivers side and move the amp to the passenger side. I also painted the AC inverter black so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Got the headlights and harness in finally.

Waiting until tonight to test them out. That should tell the tale of how much of an upgrade they really are.

Also, with the accessories stacking up and the aftermarket wiring laying under the hood, I'm not particularly happy with it looking like a mess under there. Working on an idea to consolidate the wiring and clean it up some. I'm more of a fan of a factory fresh look when it comes to wiring. Stay tuned!

Just got back from the initial test with the Hellas and harness upgrade. All I can say is WOW! What a difference. The light is super white and super bright. The e code housings give the light a distinct cut off. No blinding oncoming traffic. And the high beams. Holy cow! While the high beams were on, I threw the Hella 500 driving lights on just for kicks. Barely noticed that they were on. I'm very impressed at the performance over stock. Definitely one of the best functional upgrades I've made. If you're not happy with your headlights or the light output, I very much recommend this as the solution.

• 1 month later...

Not much on updates as of late. Been busy as all get out. However, I did put a V8 ZJ swaybar on the front yesterday morning. Took a 100 mile trip afterwards and it felt a little tighter. Decent little upgrade. Considering steering as the next little upgrade as mine is sloppyish (is sloppyish a word?).

Not much on updates as of late. Been busy as all get out. However, I did put a V8 ZJ swaybar on the front yesterday morning. Took a 100 mile trip afterwards and it felt a little tighter. Decent little upgrade. Considering steering as the next little upgrade as mine is sloppyish (is sloppyish a word?).

"sloppyish" it is now, technically all words are made up :thumbsup:

What steering set up are you thinking about?

I'm pretty sure sloppyish is a word... Especially when talking Jeep chassis components :thwak:

Ya know Brett, I'm not entirely sure. I really haven't given too much thought on it. I was thinking V8 ZJ tie rod and a new steering gear box. Kind of the K.I.S.S. principle. With all the work that's gone into this thing, I really don't have any plans to beat the snot out of it and destroy it. So I never considered one ton or or crossover steering. Now, with that being said, I'm completely open to suggestions from you guys. I'm certain quite a few of you have a more diverse set of experiences than I do with upgraded/better steering than stock. My only real requirements are it turns smooth, tracks straight at 80mph and doesn't bind up off road.

If you plan to keep the Dana 30 do WJ brakes and steering. My Jeep feels like a slot car compared to Y or T link systems (I've driven them all).

If you change to a 44 with proper cross over steering you effectively get the same thing wrt geometry.

There is absolutely nothing wrong in following the KISS method.

If you are thinking about the V8 ZJ set up with all good quality parts throughout the system, you should give the Currie set up a looking over. It wouldn't cost much more than all new TREe, drag link, tie rod from Moog.

I don't really have much experience with the various steering set ups. I have the ORO UTurn on my TJ. It came on the front Rubi 44 I bought for my 92. I absolutely love it off road and on the highway. I really hate it in town and in tight parking lots. The front tires whine when making sharp turns and leave a little tire mark on the pavement.

I would really love to drive a TJ/MJ with WJ steering.

I am a fan of the V8 ZJ tie rod too. I installed it on my 86 last night and had it on my TJ for years.

WOW i need some education, Diff,s / steering are the last things on my build list

With three types menitioned i,m in a bit of a spin

This is something i need to start planing

In a perfect world i will run a D44 out of a JK, would the steering components ( factory ) be good enough or can it be improved

If i use my D30 out of my XJ what would be a good upgrade

One thing i do want is Big Brakes which will push me to 16' or 17' rims hopefully 16'

I'm very green in this area, HELP

Have i just done a Hijack thing, :doh: sorry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not much of an update, but I finally started working on the steering. Its been hovering above and below 100F every day with no end in sight so I haven't been too interested in working on much. Anyway, I pulled the old, worn out, dilapidated gear box and replaced it this morning with a reman ZJ gear box. What a difference that made. I really didn't know how much slop was in the old one until I test drove with the new one. It feels so much tighter and more responsive now.

The rest of the steering components should be in on Tuesday. I didn't get all crazy with it. Ordered an XJ drag link and V8 ZJ tie rod and tie rod ends. After those are in it will be an alignment and tire balance as my front end is still shimmying and shaking some. Once that is done, it may be time to shift back over to the phoenix and get some sheet metal work started on it.

The rest of the steering is in now. It handles a lot better than before. Everything is nice, tight, and responsive like it should be.

A couple coats of paint.

V8 ZJ tie rod

Compared to the old junk

A happy front end and steering.

• 5 weeks later...