The Family Truck

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I've got a 01 Dakota bench in the building I've had for a couple years.... Sometimes I wish I could take the wife and the kid with me when I'm wheeling.  I really like how yours turned out, might have to take another look at doing the swap.

Nice work on the Dakota seat. Thank you for sharing how you actually went about the brackets. Did you reuse the MJ seat belt buckles or did you use the built in Dakota buckles?

Some of the top of the line Dakotas had a flip up console lid (might have included cup holders?). If you ever find one, the center seat/console should bolt right in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bypassed the rear load level brake proportioning valve or whatever the damned thing is called. Truck stops like it should now. Yes i can lock up the rears first if i slam it, but really worth it as now the truck feels much safer.

Now it is time for new tires, steering stabilizer and another alignment. Gonna get some cooper at/3s. Have them on wifes tj and could not be happier with them.

Then i have to see if i can diagnose that annoying stalling problem. Have to go through cruisers tips.

Bypassed the rear load level brake proportioning valve or whatever the damned thing is called. Truck stops like it should now. Yes i can lock up the rears first if i slam it, but really worth it as now the truck feels much safer.

That is actually more dangerous, not safer. The @$$ end could lock up causing you to lose control in a hurry (think: sideways). I don't know where you live but be careful on dirt and slippery roads.

Yes that can happen. I have tested it and have no problem with it. It is safer because now when i press the brakes, the truck stops instead of going oh say 30 feet further than it should. The brakes sucked before i did this. Scary sucked. I had replaced everything in the system. The valve must have been clogged or something as i only had fronts as far as i could tell. Now truck stops normally.

I removed my valve, too. Have been fine driving and braking ever since. It just means you need to be mindful of the middle pedal. I've been a little scared of doing the brakebooster upgrade since I removed the load valve; it already stops very well now. I feel that a bigger booster would make it lock up too easily(based on testimonials of people who've done it)

I love your towhooks, they look much sturdier than mine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Better is just opinion. I like the dakotas.

my brackets make the seats higher. I like it that way. I am average height. If you are tall you might want to use flat stock instead of the square tube like i did.

Here is my cheapo headliner solution. I got tired of trying to find a headliner board that wasn't in terrible shape. Picked up this fatigue mat for $17. Glued it up and trimmed. It is by no means perfect, but looks way better than the bare metal. Matches the floor mats too. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

dadinator         oil pan gasket   I have been serv mng  for 15 years.when replacing pan gasket use new factory  gasket  they are reuseable  no sealent   beleave me  we had our share of problems   factory gasket works the best  can get at any mopar parts dept :chillin: