The Family Truck

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the

Yup.

But you have to change the sending units to make the oil pressure and temperature gauges work properly. Oil pressure unit is by the distributor and the temperature is back of the head.

Thanks, what about the tach? I have a 92' donor truck with a nice panel. well it "drop" in on an 87'.

• 9 months later...

IT LIVES! ! ! ! ! :banana: Thanks to a post on here, I searched and found what wires to splice to fool it into thinking the non existent auto trans is in park. :hmm: Started right up!!! {SMILIES_PATH}/jamminz.gif Swapped the oil pressure sending unit from the doner so that the oil pressure guage is no longer pegged and now works properly. Makes me happy and now the project is getting exciting again. Sounds mean with no exhaust system hooked up.Should sound real good with the flowmaster muffler on it when I get to it. {SMILIES_PATH}/comanche.gif

Good deal man, did a fine job.com and glad to see you kept it around as it must have been meant to. :D now on to tech questions perhaps you could enlighten me on those two wires as well be swaping in my ax-15 shortly and perhaps save me a simular headache shearching for it. Thanks man.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get on here as much as I used to.  Frankly you're going to have to search.  As this was 2 years ago, I really don't remember which wires it was.

Sorry...

IT LIVES! ! ! ! ! :banana: Thanks to a post on here, I searched and found what wires to splice to fool it into thinking the non existent auto trans is in park. :hmm: Started right up!!! {SMILIES_PATH}/jamminz.gif Swapped the oil pressure sending unit from the doner so that the oil pressure guage is no longer pegged and now works properly. Makes me happy and now the project is getting exciting again. Sounds mean with no exhaust system hooked up.Should sound real good with the flowmaster muffler on it when I get to it. {SMILIES_PATH}/comanche.gif

Good deal man, did a fine job.com and glad to see you kept it around as it must have been meant to. :D now on to tech questions perhaps you could enlighten me on those two wires as well be swaping in my ax-15 shortly and perhaps save me a simular headache shearching for it. Thanks man.

• 4 months later...

Truck has been performing pretty well since I did all of this.

However, I just replaced the transfer case and will soon the front axle.

I boogered it up and will be seeking out a non CAD one to fix.

(When I have time)

Sitting on jackstands in the barn right now.

Still on the todo list:

The aforementioned front axle replacement

Windshield

Parking Brake Cables

minor 2" or less lift.

Probably need to replace the rear bumper.

Some minor rust repair.

Would like to upgrade the doors to the one piece ones from newer XJ's.

• 3 months later...

Time flies when you work all the time!

:fs1:

So, I got the axle in the barn and today actually had a little time.

Got all the stuff off of the new axle.  It was cut out of the Cherokee so I had to remove the shocks, track bar, sway bar links, etc. etc.  It is ready to install now.

Now just have to get more time to remove the old one from the truck.

. :MJ 1: .

• 3 weeks later...

Got the axle out and the new one ready to install.

Ordered a set of Monroe Sensa-Tracs for all 4 corners, some 2" pucks and will be picking up some Chevy Drop Shackles for the rear.

Then reassemble.

Cannot wait to get it finally back on the road!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the front axle back in.  New shocks installed and 2"pucks.

Took it for a test drive.  Think master cylinder is done.  Brakes are OK and lines are bled.  Weak brakes.

Now on to the rear.  Shocks and Shackles.

Then address the brakes, replace the blower motor, windshield, etc. etc.

Shackles on rear tonight.

Wish I would have measured before doing this.  It is very noticeable eye balling it.

It has approx. 5.5 inches clearance front and rear from top of tire to bottom of flares now.

Truck is now the height it should have been from the factory.  IMHO.  :thumbsup:

. :XJ 1: .

LOL!!

I wondered how long it would take someone to notice that.

Just a piece of sheet metal.

I had a broken dishwasher in the garage for a week or so before the garbage picked it up.

At the time, I was working on the truck and had a rust hole just below and behind the drivers door.  I thought, hey the front of that dishwasher is sheet metal and is going in the trash.

So, I cut a section out and formed it to fit the rust hole and fixed it.

So I put that in my signature a long time ago.  Took a lot longer for someone to notice (ask about it) than I thought it would.

:rotf:

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seats turned out great!

Put some paint on the brackets and put them in and then cleaned them up.

They sit a few inches higher than the stock seats.  I like that better, actually.  So does the wifey!  

Seats are firm and comfy.  Love them!

They are from a 4 door, so they do not fold forward.  But they slide forward a lot so I can still get stuff behind them.  And they recline!

:thumbsup:

Bonus is the console between the seats that is also a seat for the granddaughter.

But keep that in mind if you decide to do this.

They are out of a 2001.  There were no cup holders built in as there are in some.  That's OK though, the home made cup holders that my wife put in originally she is in the process of modifying.  So I will have cup holders again soon.

. :MJ 1: .

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed some tow hooks on the front.  I will post pics later.  Didn't have camera or phone in the barn.

What a pain in the arse!  I did not have any brackets.  I welded some 1x1 square tubing under the frame and used the existing holes to mount them.  Then I had to notch the lower air dam or what ever you call that piece of plastic under the bumper to clear them.  They turned out good, but definitely more work than I planned.

And, I love the Dakota seats!  What a difference!!!!!