Comanche Prerunner / Chase support vehicle

Well, I'm finally getting around to posting this. This is going to be keeping me busy for a while, a nice simple build with nothing too exotic. I'd like to get the MJ in the same state that the XJ was in before I decided to go all crazy on it. The XJ is going to be down for quite sometime, as most of my time and money is being poured into getting my business off the ground. Add to that a GF who goes to school full time and I've got a full schedule. In comes the MJ. This is already a love hate relationship. I picked this up from Mike (GrimmJeeper) a while back to use as a DD / hauler for my bike etc. Obviously me being me can't leave anything too stock, so I immediately started working on getting it lifted.

This is how she looked when I got her... pretty little thing:

Image Not Found

That was obviously way too stock, so I started ordering parts. I picked up some springs, LCA's, drop brackets and a flip kit among a few other misc. odds and ends. Jeff (Squirrel80) was kind enough to help me out with getting her setup. I moved my shock mounts, welded on miniskids and did a spring flip to get the height I was after for now. Eventually she'll be going back spring under for travel reasons.

Once I got her home I threw the wheels/tires from the XJ on her and went to the first race with her. She did well, though not as well as the XJ did... all in due time though.

This was about the last time she looked this nice. Slowly but surely I started to cut into her. Installing a 97+ header panel / doors / and ajax fenders. This is when she started to become known as the "Harlequin Comanche" haha.

I painted the door jambs white, this is when I still thought I was going to paint it white. I've since changed my mind and will need to repaint them. I also bought a new set of kicks for her, American Racing AR23's with 33x10.50 BFG A/T's

With a buddy's help we got the new door strikers installed, and the old holes welded up nicely.

Went to socalfest and played at truckhaven, she did fantastic.

After that, the fenders got painted, and this is how she sits for now.

The plans for the MJ are to be on par with the XJ pre-tear down. Also be a reliable chase support vehicle. I'll be building a chase rack / simple exo cage, and painting it a flat desert tan. I'll post more updates as it comes. Next up on the agenda is 4wd conversion.

Nice! :thumbsup:

How are those fenders at taking a hit?

Do they give a little, or are they more likely to crack & split from contacting a tree/rock/whatever?

How do they fit? (typical fiberglass fitment issues?)

Can't wait to see it with the rack & gear out back. jamminz.gif

Thanks for the replies. As for the fenders, they're pretty rigid, and I'm not sure how they'd do at taking a hit... I've hit some relatively thick brush out in the desert at speed with them and they have not cracked, however I wouldn't want to lean them against a rock or a tree. Best suited for the open desert go fast sort of thing. As for fitment, yes they have the typical issues, although they fit a big better than most.

very nice. needs paint. :D

going with baja flares for the back? looks pretty good as-is so I'm not sure if it's necessary on an MJ.

Haha yea, paint is a must, but I'm trying to hold off until I finish any and all body modifications. She'll probably be getting a glass hood as well for weight savings. As for the rear glass, it's not in the works at the moment. I toyed with the idea of going to a 35" tire, at which point I probably would have had to run glass in the rear, I can't see any feasible way to trim that much off the rear and still look good. Plus the weight of 35's is such a huge disadvantage for the go fast side of things.

too many mods for me.....i liked it simple, after the lift and tires.

if i was a crazy off roader, id prob like it better.

i have no idea tho....right??????

I feel ya, I'm hoping it'll come back together after paint, and look complete again. It looks like a frankenjeep right now haha.

that is bad @$$ if the xj is more bad@$$ weve got to see pics

Well, the XJ wasn't all that wild, but it's being torn down right now getting caged, linked, and coilovers up front. Here's a video I shot of it during my last trip to ocotillo before tear down:

And some teasers :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

looking good :thumbsup:

i have see that Mj in Johnson Valley Before?

& hold off paint tell the end. There is so much else to worry about wen it comes to fast trucks like ours. like plating all that unibody frame rails & cage!

:popcorn:

Any updates?

Jim sold it!

:nuts:

nice comanche where did you bought does fenders? i would like one of those jamminz.gif

you should get Hannemann fiberglass. if you go with fiberglass fenders? they are Pricey though

Jeep Comanche Fiberglass

Front Fenders

HF8001

Jeep Comanche

Front Fenders Stock Flare

$160.00 ea

HF8002

Jeep Comanche

Front Fenders 6" Flare

$160.00 ea

HF8003

Jeep Comanche