How & why did you get into MJ's ?

AMC-MJ

:???: Battle ship Grey ? . . . did it come with that grill ? it looks different then my MJ ? . . .

Mike

Yup. BS Gray. It came with the front bezel from what seems to be a 97 Cherokee? This truck has been to Moab a few times before I bought it, and it had been hit front and back, so that was part of the repairs. Nice thing though is it has been a central valley California truck all it's life - so not a hint of rust on it. I repainted it because I had it in Seattle for 6 months and the top started to show rust for being exposed.

And at 50 psi at the corners, a 5 speed, and 4:10 gears with 31's, I get 18 mpg on the fwy at 65-70 mph.

This was rattle-canned btw:

large.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I inherited an XJ when my father died, my mom wanted it gone, I obliged. That was 7 years ago. It had some problems, it wouldn't smog, the leafs were sagging and it leaked out the RMS like crazy. I took it to my trusted mechanic (he's trusted and he's done alot of cool stuff for me for free and stuff I never even asked him to do for free. I wanted the oil leak stopped - he quoted me ~$600~all labor. So I grabbed a manual (Haynes, which was all but worthless) and googled alot until I felt comfortable doing the RMS. It took me all day, from 8-5...but I never MADE $600 in a day so I was good.

I played around with it, took it camping, it had a tow package and I had a trailer for hauling stuff around. I decided I wanted to lift it because all the OTHER XJ's made mine look puny. So I threw a 3.5" lift on it...went to play in the woods...and I was hooked.

After I had gone through the XJ from front to back repairing and modifying I saw an MJ for sale on the street and I just HAD to have it...but the guy was asking way too much for it. So I bided my time and money for a couple years. I bought this one for $400, delivered 150 miles to my house. It didn't run, the interior was out, it needed everything.

In 1989 I went to the dealer to buy a grey SWB 4x4 MJ new, and ended up getting a 5.0 convertable Mustang GT 5-spd instead. It was a combined Jeep/Ford dealer. :roll:

I have owned several odd-ball jeeps, including commando's and FSJ's, among my 12 previous jeeps. I had some FSJ parts being conveniently stored in the form of a Cherokee that someone wanted. They offered up this '88 Sportruck. They had put a new water pump, thermostat, RMS, oil pan, and radiator in this MJ and then let it sit until they misplaced or threw out all of the connectors to put the front body back on it. The swap was made, I put the front back on it (which included NIB fenders and chrome front bumper) and started driving it. At 104,780 miles, it is just getting broken in. 8)

I have 32x11.5x15's A/T's on gambler wheels for it and I just ordered a 4.5" lift kit. :chillin:

I like this little booger.

my start is pretty straightforward I guess... back in 97 I needed my first real DD. I wanted a Jeep, but I wanted a truck, but I wanted a Jeep, but I wanted a truck... then I found out I didn't have to choose. :D

my start is pretty straightforward I guess... back in 97 I needed my first real DD. I wanted a Jeep, but I wanted a truck, but I wanted a Jeep, but I wanted a truck... then I found out I didn't have to choose. :D

Exactly !!!

Found a truck and it happened to be a Jeep , thats win - win in my book !

When I had my TJ I was always looking on cardomain.com for ideas for mods to it. Thats when I stumbled upon MJ's. I like unique vehicles and Jeep's so I think its a perfect combo.

All of mine have been handed down to me after they were thought to be unusable on my parents farm for one reason or another. I like them for a few reasons - it's a JEEP, durable, and it's RARE. I have a knack for wanting rare commodities. I like being different from the norm. When I got my not-so-rare XJ, I sought out the rarest set of rims that came on them (five spokes from the '98ZJ 5.9 Limited, '98TJ Saraha, '00XJ Freedom Edition, and '01XJ 60th Anniversary)...

The '88 SporTruck in my sig had an issue with gas getting in the crankcase oil. The fuel injectors were sticking open and leaking fuel after engine shut down. Fixed those, but the damage to the engine was already done. Still ran fine, but parked it in the back of my shop and it has been undergoing a '97+ conversion for the last year (I work slow).

The '88 Pioneer in my sig had the waterpump let go while it was in the middle of a field. It sat there for a few months before I drug it back to my shop to fix the water pump and weld in new floorpans. Currently replacing some front end stuff on it and am going to eventually give it back to my parents as they need it more than I do.

Currently on the market for another MJ...checking CL every day.

In 1987, got my first good paying job after leaving the military, decided to treat myself to a new vehicle and wanted a pickup. Jeep had a cool commercial that showed a truck driver stopping to get chow from a diner. The truck was hauling a comanche, and everone went to look. (anybody remember that commercial?) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS_wAtN__i0

Well, I decided to go to my local pontiac/jeep dealer, spent half the day looking over vehicles with all sorts of options on them, ended up with my plain jane version and have been driving it ever since.

Been a Jeep man all my life. In 1947 learned to drive in a MB. I was 12 years old. Think I've owned at least one example of every model, CJ, MB, GPW(Ford) FC, Gladiator, J series and two 1942 Willys Pick ups. I quit buying new jeeps in 1983 with the purchase of a 1983 J10 so the MJ era sorta sneaked past me. A year ago I was looking at some property to buy up in the mountains. While walking around the place I spotted a Jeep P/U buried in some brush, just the left front fender sticking out and enough grill to recognize Jeep. Walked over and gave it a better look. It was a pitiful sight, 3 flat tires, bed full of trash and construction waste. Critters nested in the cab and under the hood, Wiring shot, chewed up. Engine compartment stuffed with leaves, dead critters and critter crap. I looked at my GF. She said a loud resounding "NO" Asked the property owner if it was for sale. He asked "what'l ya give me?" I said a hunnert dollars. He said "It's yours" Got it home, cleaned it up. Took me a week to get it running. Went on line and in a Google search to find out something about my new P/U I stumbled across CC. The rest is history. I now have ten MJ'S, sold one or I would have eleven, Only eight are driveable, one the motor runs good but the PO tried to make a rock crawler out of it and messed up bad. Think it's got 2 Dana 60'S under it that I'm going pull and scrap and install original axles, The other one motor turns over but won't fire. Really haven't had time to dig into it.

My DD is 1987 MJ, 2.5, 4sd, 2WD, 225R70/15, 3:55 225K on the clock, does 80mph on the highway and gets 21-23 mpg. Have a '77 J20 for the heavy stuff.

I think my truck was a custom ordered unit, Cause i have the AMC-2.5, AX-4, and a D35 with 3.73's . . .

I was told the MJ = 4spd / 3.55s 5spd /4.10s.

It gets 14-16mpg's and has a good bit of pep 0-75mph after that it starts fading quickly but it spends most its life running 25-45mph . . .

:cheers: Tuesday night my AMC-290 V8 gets dropped off then i'll be running an AX-15 5spd / AMC-20 with 4.10's behind and i will be staying with the 235/75R15 tires they look nice :banana:

It'll get up and good and not burn a lot of gas, i'm told to expect 15-17mpg's but i figure the first few runs after the break period might only be in the 10-12mpg :rotf: nothing to aggressive 215-235hp / 240-260tq in the 1500-4500rpm range, i'm told by my fellow AMCer's its easy n cheap to do with the 290 and should live 200K miles . . .

Honestly tho will i really gain few MPG's by going from an I-4 to a V-8 in an MJ ? :???: ?

Mike

Cool thread.

I'm from NJ originally, my first car was a Jeep, as were 17 Jeeps I had in the following 11 years of driving.

They were all CJs or YJs, with one TJ and one M715 for flavor.

I never even looked at the XJ/MJ or any unitbody Jeep for fear of cataclysmic failure due to rust. Plus, at the time I left NJ, XJ/MJs were about the same price used as YJs/CJs.

I was in CA for a year, and since I'm a bit of a junkyard dog, I quickly realized the plethora of XJs and MJs in the junkyards here. I wanted something different, so I decided to look for an XJ or MJ. My price was 500 bucks. The first thing I found was an '88 MJ 2WD Eliminator. I went to look at it. After jump-starting, it ran, and drove, so I picked it up. Took a bit to get it going with all junkyard parts, and I was hooked. Easily knocked down over 20 mpg, and could haul parts for all the other Jeeps in relative comfort (compared to my M715). Unfortunately within a year of getting it, building it, and driving it, I had an engine fire which led to stripping all the wiring etc out of it. While it was stripped I started missing a Jeep that could haul and be locked up, so I went looking and picked up an XJ.

I'm on MJ 3 now and XJ 2. I still have that first MJ in process of a 97 conversion and I'm still hunting that elusive 92 MJ.

Cool stories guys, yours seem way more interesting then mine . . . I started out basically looking for $300-$500 beater one them drive it today crush it tomorrow deal's . . . It ended up being and MJ, Instead of getting crushed its getting fixed up and kept jamminz.gif

:hmm: Must be a Jeep Truck thing :hmm: an AMC-Jeep thing i might add :thumbsup:

Mike

• 1 month later...

Since I'm brand new to this forum, I'll add my own brief MJ story. Since early childhood, I have always loved Jeeps. Back then (in the CJ days) I always said I would own one. I was fascinated with CJ-5s and CJ-7s.

In 1997, I was looking to buy a new vehicle. I was married and hoping to have kids. I wanted a Jeep, but that YJ body didn't seem real family friendly (or pregnant wife friendly), so I bought a 1997 XJ Sport 4DR. Still have it.

In 2006, I bought myself a 2006 XK (Commander) U package, and I geve my 97 XJ to my oldest son.

In 2009, my other son (now 18) needed something to drive, and I picked up a pretty nice 2001 XJ Sport 4DR.

For the past 17 years, I have also played around with a 1983 Datsun/Nissan pickup. It was ugly as sin and heavily rusted, but it ran. That was until recently. When it died, it was jut not practical to revive it, so I sold it for scrap. I immediately started looking for another small pickup. I thought, why not a Jeep!!! ...and the MJ search was on.

Last week, I purchased the 98 MJ Pioneer that is in my avatar photo. This is how it came to me. Haven't determined what I will do to it ... yet.

btw... my wife drives an Acura TL. Can't get her to convert.... yet.

My MJ Story....

My first car was one my parents lended me until we could find something I wanted. It was a 90 s10 4cyl 5 speed. I loved it. Although it lacked 4wd drive.

I knew I wanted a Jeep, my mom has a 00 yellow TJ she's had since brand new. So i fell in love with them. When we came across a 91 XJ 5 speed with a little lift and some 31's. I was hooked. Well some off-roading and getting stuck in a creek and hydro-locking the motor didn't help the life of the XJ but I did build a pretty mean stroker motor out of it, after the creek of course. Soon after the tranny was going out so I figured it was time for it to go. Soon after I got a mustang and that quenched my need for speed until it sat while I was off at boot camp. Came back and clear coat was peeling on every panel. I sold it picked up a cheap Ranger and began looking for my first MJ. I already knew i wanted one, it was just finding one. When I found my current DD, 91 MJ 4.0 auto 2wd longbox for $500 I couldn't pass it up. It drove 4 hours home and has been running ever since, well short of a blown tranny but it was bad when I got it. And my newest MJ an 88 6cyl 5speed, i have yet to start a build thread on it. Just logged on the the computer did my daily craigslist searching, typed in jeep and there it was. 88 Jeep comanche $300. I called him instantly and 2 days later hauled it home with my 91. The 88 is going to be my DD here soon when I get ready to do my 4WD conversion on the 91. And thats my MJ story. :D

After selling my money-pit Audi, buying a motorcycle and riding it till air-cooling was no longer practical in the Arizona summer, we decided we needed a second car to my wife's Civic. I wanted a little stickshift Miata or E30, or a big old American luxo barge - they're pretty darn cheap down here in the land of snowbirds. My wife mentioned that she liked Cherokees, but we both thought that a pickup would be a little more practical for our needs.

Enter the college kid who inherited my '89 from his new-truck buying dad and wanted something better on gas. I watched his asking price drop $800 over on Craigslist, went and saw it, and made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

New tires installed before I bought it, less than 3000 miles ago, a 5-speed (the dreaded Peugeot, but still - I've missed rowing my own!). Only 122k on the 4.0, and hopefully lots more to go. I even got 21mpg on the first tank!

I even got 21mpg on the first tank!

:fs1: Lucky you I got the 2.5L i get 14-16mpg :wall: Its a Short bed 2WD :hmm: yet it burns through Fuel like its a full sized truck :rant: Oh its reliable and that is all i asked of it :thumbsup: 22Yrs old with 194K miles and counting :banana:

Mike

here mines:

Once a time... few months ago, my brother and I was discuss to see if I should find a wheeling truck.

I always want a pickup truck with reliable 4x4 so i found an some nice toyota pickup truck(hilux/T100) from mid 90's for only $1300 to $2000 then later my brother texted me and found mj on sale for $1600 which I'm so clueless that jeep have pickup truck expect scrambler so i start more interesting then we decided go to see it in person. Its been in decent condition but little rust. custom swapped axles(hpd44 front/ 9" rear) rusty's 6" lift with heavy duty skid armor and long radius arm that came from ford bronco. 31" tires. custom paint color red. factory roll bar, hacked dashboard, faulty oilpan and lower radiator hose

30mins later, got it for $1300

brought it back to home with no problem.

its currently sit in my garage wait for gear oil and metal plate to fix my front coil issue.

i realized I'm lucky to got my mj over toyota hilux/T100

the day i bought

currently

:hmm: Looks link and S-10 when the flares are removed :shake:

Mike

:rotfl2: don't worry ill get bigger flares after trimming the fender and interior after test with 36" tires someday

the flares I'm talking about: bushwacker cutout fender flares