Oil filter

Today I went to change the oil on my new to me 88. The first surprise was that the exhaust pipe was mashed into the drain plug requiring me to remove the whole damn exhaust system. ( it needed to go due to rust anyways). The second surprise was some whack @$$ drain plug that has a loop in it you stick a screwdriver through to loosen it and it has a T shaped piece on it that prevents it from coming fully out of the oil pan causing oil to spew like a fountain because it hits the dangling plug when draining. Also Napa gave me the wrong filter! It had an old Fram ph3387A filter on it and the one they gave me was 2x the size as what was on there and had threads so big they wouldnt even contact the threaded stud on the filter adapter, but their computer said it was correct for my year and engine. The ph3387A also fits my 3.1L Grand Am, It seems odd that a GM oil filter would fit an AMC engine........Oh and who decided to make the damn valve cover out of plastic?!?! If I ever meet that engineer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts.

So....has anyone run into a drain plug like this? Can it be easily removed and replaced with a normal one because i freakin hate the fact that it won't come fully out and it makes a otherwise normal oil change into a huge messy spray of dirty oil.

i've seen some really whack drain plugs. places like jiffy lube will use them when they ruin a drain pan. some can be removed, but 99% of the time the oil pan is beyond repair, and some will never come out.

i did see one someone installed that is removeable, and had a valve built in so you could just turn it to drain the oil. it leaked and the oil poored all stupid as well on it also.

Today I went to change the oil on my new to me 88. The first surprise was that the exhaust pipe was mashed into the drain plug requiring me to remove the whole damn exhaust system. ( it needed to go due to rust anyways). The second surprise was some whack @$$ drain plug that has a loop in it you stick a screwdriver through to loosen it and it has a T shaped piece on it that prevents it from coming fully out of the oil pan causing oil to spew like a fountain because it hits the dangling plug when draining. Also Napa gave me the wrong filter! It had an old Fram ph3387A filter on it and the one they gave me was 2x the size as what was on there and had threads so big they wouldnt even contact the threaded stud on the filter adapter, but their computer said it was correct for my year and engine. The ph3387A also fits my 3.1L Grand Am, It seems odd that a GM oil filter would fit an AMC engine........Oh and who decided to make the damn valve cover out of plastic?!?! If I ever meet that engineer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts.

So....has anyone run into a drain plug like this? Can it be easily removed and replaced with a normal one because i freakin hate the fact that it won't come fully out and it makes a otherwise normal oil change into a huge messy spray of dirty oil.

The PH3387A is not the correct filter for your truck. Don't use it. I looked up the filters for your 1988 Jeep Comanche 2.5L. The correct Fram filter is: PH3985. Stay away from Fram, they are junk. Get a different filter like shelbyluvv said. The Wix 51626 and Napa FIL 1626 are the correct filters also.

A WIX filter is the best filter you can buy. As said avalible at NAPA stores.

CW

A Mobil 1 filter is the best filter you can buy as far as quality and filtering capability is concerned.

You have evidence to back this up?

In my OPINION, based on available information regarding countless cut-open and tested filters, the premium Purolater Pur-One filters are the best, so that's what I use.

From that page, regarding the Mobil 1:

This filter is made by Champion Labs using what I call their "performance" design instead of the "Ecore". It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and has a high holding capacity. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure

So According to the manufacturer the Pur-One has a better filtering capability.

From that page, regarding the Mobil 1:
This filter is made by Champion Labs using what I call their "performance" design instead of the "Ecore". It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and has a high holding capacity. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure

So According to the manufacturer the Pur-One has a better filtering capability.

Take a look at this article too:

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html

Here is what this person said in this article.

If I had to pick 5 out of the 10 as being the best, I would pick the Purolator PureOne, K&N, Toyota, Wix, and Purolator PremiumPlus as this group. Their prices start at $3.49 and go up to $9.94. Probably only the Mobil 1 filter is superior to the filters in this group

The 1626 DOES NOT fit. Not even remotely close.It is twice the diameter of the fram I pulled off. Currently I'm running a wix on it not the fram anymore. Is it possible that the oil filter adapter was changed? It looked like part of the block casting and not removable.

Hell nothing on this truck surprises me anymore.....Today I found what looks like a piece of brake line with a quick connect fitting on it sticking out the side of the transmission (AX4) The clutch works great and it shifts just fine so I don't have a clue what it might be.

I'm going to be tear into it some more tomorrow and ill get some pics and the model number of the filter that I found that fits. Also the threads on the oil pan look fine. I'm not sure why someone stuck this jacked up drain plug in there....

I remember when they used canister oil filters and used sanitary napkins because they were cheaper and did a better job of filtering. Truck stops carried them and you would see big, burly, hairy assed truckers buying sanitary napkins by the carton. And believe me, no matter how bad you may have wanted to, ya DIDN'T laff.

I had a feeling that the tube on the tranny was some kind of bleeder. Thanks for confirming it!

After the oil change and valve cover gasket I removed and scrubbed out the throttle body as it was absoloutely caked with black deposits. Now she fires right on the first or second crank and idles like a champ!

Now its on to the exhaust. The system on there now is possibly the worst piece of ghetto rigging I have ever seen. A few of the welds on the joints are over 1" thick gobs! Luckily the cat looks like it was recently replaced and was only tacked on so I can reuse that and the downpipe but everything else looks like swiss cheese and has to be replaced.

Now if only NAPA will get it together and stop giving me the wrong parts (oil filter and exhaust donut gasket) Maybe I can have the truck ready for paint by spring!

• 2 months later...

If I may,

:hijack:

Does anyone know the exact size of a stock drain plug for the engine oil? None of my sockets fit right, it loks stripped. I just want to be sure.

88SporTruck, you can have the thread back when my question gets answered. :chillin:

Mine is a 14mm head, and in my experience, nobody makes an oversize in that particular metric thread. I'm going to have to buy a new oil pan someday, because of the one and only time I let some jiffylube jerk crossthread it.

The 1626 DOES NOT fit. Not even remotely close.It is twice the diameter of the fram I pulled off. Currently I'm running a wix on it not the fram anymore. Is it possible that the oil filter adapter was changed? It looked like part of the block casting and not removable.

Your engine has been swapped out then with a 2.5L from 1984-1986 because the 1984-1986 2.5L uses the smaller PH3387A oil filter. In 1987 they changed to the larger Wix 51626 or Napa FIL 1626 oil filter. My 1986 Comanche with the 2.5L uses the smaller oil filter which would be be a Wix 51040. I am currently running a Bosch 3331 oil filter on it though. I hope this info helps.

Does it have V belts or Serpentine? My '87 used a PH3387A/PF47 filter and had V belts. I'm assuming the engine was from an '86 because, from what I can tell, they sent to a Serpentine belt in '87

In 1986 the 2.5L could have either a serpentine belt or V belts. All models with A/C had a serpentine belt, but it could also have a serpentine belt if it didn't have A/C. My 1986 Comanche with the 2.5L has the V belt setup. I think you're onto something though, I don't remember seeing any 1987 and up 2.5Ls with the V belt setup. I think they probably did go to a serpentine belt in 1987.

Internally a mobil 1 filter is the same as a putulator pure one, because its manfufactured by purolator... The same goes for K&N

WRONG!!! The Mobil 1 oil filters are made by Champion Labs, not Purolator. You may want to read these oil filter studies

http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

http://www.corolland.com/oil-filters.html