rear disc brake conversion

ZJ rear disc brakes are a direct bolt on for a D35 or D44. If you enlarge the 2 3/4" center hole to 3", they will bolt to an 8.25" as well (that's what I did).

Disc brakes need more pressure than drum, so you want to replumb the rear lines using the ZJ proportioning valve as well.

The brackets and backing plates must come from a stealership or junk yard, everything else is available from parts stores.

ZJ rear disc brakes are a direct bolt on for a D35 or D44. If you enlarge the 2 3/4" center hole to 3", they will bolt to an 8.25" as well (that's what I did).

They are not a direct bolt on for a D44. You need to make a spacer (axle retainer) as the ZJ one is not thick enough. You'll also need to enlarge the center hole of the backing plate a bit as well for the D44.

As far as bolt-on kits available on the market; Crown as well as TeraFlex both make kits now that include everything needed and that will simply just bolt-on.

I've done the ZJ disc conversion on my '87 XJ D44. I used the same procedure as is outlined at http://www.madxj.com There is no direct link to the page but it is under the Technical side tab and then you need to scroll down to the Brakes headliner. The writeup on how to do it is the first one. Pretty simple to do.

I had to weld some little home-made tabs on my e-brake cables to get them to work. As far as the axle seal spacers go I was able to make mine in our shop on the drill press with some hole saws and some 1/4" steel - took forever to cut them with the hole saws though...

Here are some of the pics I've got of 'em:

n6603948_31265843_4187.jpg

n6603948_31265845_8472.jpg

n6603948_31265846_3140.jpg

Here are the tabs I welded to the cables.

n6603948_31348831_8840.jpg

n6603948_31348833_9484.jpg

Hope that helps.

Does that still apply to the 89" XJ dana 44 ? I am assuming they are pretty much the same . :dunno:

Thanks !

:dunce: in training !

All years ('87-'89) XJ D44 were the same.

i have a 88 Comanche with a Dana 44 in the rear. I'm looking to convert to a disc brake set up but haven't had any luck finding a kit anywhere. If anybody has any helpful info it would be appreciated.
does the year make a difference with the ZJ or the Exploder?thanks for all the info , gotta love this forum!!!!!!!

• 8 years later...

This all seems to be for 88's. Would the swap be the same for a 91 2wd comanche? I loathe drum brakes with a deep and fiery passion and theres a parts store here in Victoria that seems to be able to get any part I would ever need for relatively cheap. The wreckers here suck and are way out of the city.

1991 Eliminator
4L 6CYL
2WD
built October 1990