Edelbrock cone air filter for cheap!!!

I ordered one of these when I ordered the shocks posted here. :typing:

Haven't gotten it yet, but for $10.00 (+$8 shipping), I'm sure I'll be happy.

And yep, Rusty's tube is 3".

Has anyone gotten theirs in yet? In looking at the picture, I cannot figure out how that filter will attach to a 3" tube. Where does it clamp on, or where does the hose clamp go to mate it with a 3" coupler?

Looking at the picture, I am scared to order.

Has anyone gotten theirs in yet? In looking at the picture, I cannot figure out how that filter will attach to a 3" tube. Where does it clamp on, or where does the hose clamp go to mate it with a 3" coupler?

I'm pretty sure the coupler slips on the filter.. Than clamps down. Well must of those types of filters do that. I don't see any difference in this one. I hope to get mine sometime soon..

I'm pretty sure the coupler slips on the filter.. Than clamps down. Well must of those types of filters do that. I don't see any difference in this one. I hope to get mine sometime soon..

It is the fluted neck that has me worried. If you look at the edelbrock, it looks like the neck is machined aluminum.

15019Specs.jpg

You COULD end up using a 3" coupler over that very small flat area and then using a clamp to tighten it down, but if you look at most cylindrical filters, the neck of them is rubber and you slide that (with a hose clamp) over the rigid 3" tube, then tighten down.

Raw:

RE0810.jpg

Installed:

cone83.JPG

If you look at the edelbrock filter, that neck is already rigid, meaning that you would have to put a coupler OVER the base.

EDIT:

It looks like there is a coupler and 2 clamps that come with it:

15019.jpg

I called edelbrock and they confirmed that it includes a coupler. I ordered 2, just to have one as a spare, since I don't like the thought of downtime when I wash and re-oil them.

Got mine today.

VERY nice.

Much more substantial than the rubber bodied K&N it will be replacing.

Shiny red annodized aluminum housing with Racer style AKIMOTO die cut decals on the end.

Can't wait to cover it in mud. 8)

FWIW, It doesn't come with oil, but it does need it to properly filter.

I have some K&N oil already, but those that don't already have it should pick some up.

I didn't measure it, but it's a perfect fit for the 3" exhaust pipe I made the MJ's air tube out of (filter in pic is K&N).

Got mine today too!!! Sweet little filter!

Exactly, little. It looks like a lawn mower filter. Wonder what the filtering sq. inch area is.......

I have a lot of time and $$ in my engine, and no way I'd stick one of those things on my rig for a primary air filter. It looks like it would be more restrictive than the stock box. :eek:

Got mine today too!!! Sweet little filter!

Exactly, little. It looks like a lawn mower filter. Wonder what the filtering sq. inch area is.......

I have a lot of time and $$ in my engine, and no way I'd stick one of those things on my rig for a primary air filter. It looks like it would be more restrictive than the stock box. :eek:

yeah, but then why would you bother with an oiled filter at all?

I don't like ANY oiled filters. nice replacement paper element, or canister filter is where it's at. they seal better, easier to hook to a snorkel or duct air to, you can get great performance from them...and you don't have to oil them.

K&N's miss a TON of particles in the air that your factory air cleaner wouldn't miss too BTW...and I'm sure the edelbrock is just more of the same.

yeah, but then why would you bother with an oiled filter at all?

I don't like ANY oiled filters. nice replacement paper element, or canister filter is where it's at. they seal better, easier to hook to a snorkel or duct air to, you can get great performance from them...and you don't have to oil them.

K&N's miss a TON of particles in the air that your factory air cleaner wouldn't miss too BTW...and I'm sure the edelbrock is just more of the same.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the filtering ability of the oiled filters either, and the oiling is a PITA. I use a 9" long inverted cone oiled filter, but it's probably not that much better than the small Edelbrock in this topic. I noticed that Amsoil makes oil-less universal inverted cone filters now in a variety of sizes. I think I'll look into those. Anyone a dealer on the forum?