argg. spit, sputtering, backfiring thru intake, & high idle

• 2 weeks later...

Shes running like sewing machine once again!!!

Found the problem to be a 90* hose, inside the tank, that connects the pump to the outlet tube had gone south and was just hanging on..

Explains why the pump passed the flow test, but didnt have pressure.. I'm 100% certain my pump is good, but I went ahead and installed the new pump just because I was there and an ounce of prevention...... well you know.

SO!!!!! To everyone having this problem invest in a fuel pressure gauge. Then check that hose on your pump.

Oh and by the way,,, The precision injectors made one heck of a difference in my idle, and power (greater low end torque) I could tell a difference big time..

And another hint.. Advance sell those quick disconnects for the fuel rail.. They are the 5/16 in the help section. In addition, Advanced has the o-rings too, but you must use the orange o-rings, and the pack they sell only includes two for the disconnects and one for pressure regulator (which I used the two new o-rings on the fuel input side and reused three of for the outlet/regulator side..

My trucks back running!!!!!!!!!! woopie!!! :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Does this kind of fall under the K.I.S.S. thing :hmm:

That dang old 20 year old gas line should be good for what, another.........10 minutes :D

:yes:

Well, on a good note, I got new injectors, a pressure regulator, some new o-rings,a new filter, new pump, some new hose clamps, and a great big headache from this little experience.!! :D

If I only new how easy it was to put the pump,,, I might have saved a lil money.. :teehee:

Another quick note... The new o-ring gasket for the pump/sender was just a tad to small,, So to combat that I used some RTV to kinda glue the o-ring down stretched out around the "bump" on the sender.. I tried to use some clamps to hold it down didnt work,, but a few (4) of the little toothbrush type of wooden wire brushes with rubber bands around the ends, across the outside of the housing, then hooked on the brushes other end held the o-ring in place long enough for the RTV to set up and hold the o-ring in place.. Made installing the pump 1000000000000000x easier..

Hum..........I hope you used RTV for gas, and not the Ultra Black RTV :roll:

Other wise.......now you got your complete gas supply system re-built :D

Yeah I used the black RTV.. I know it isnt for gas but I only used it to glue the big o-ring to the pump. I don't think it'll leak, but I will keep an eye out on the tank. I figure if it leaks I'll just redo it. I was really surprised how easy the pump was to remove/install..

It should not leak........But.......

It will dissolve, and plug up the sock filter :eek:

And this I know........the hard way :roll:

But, at least you don't need to drop a 40 gallon tank to replace the sock filter :oops:

Allll and another thing....... I don't know WTF that pump slips into,, thinking the return line slips into a rubber base thing made of rubber but after I figured out something was down there it was easy to slip the pump into after small adjustments till I found the slot..

It should not leak........But.......

It will dissolve, and plug up the sock filter :eek:

And this I know........the hard way :roll:

But, at least you don't need to drop a 40 gallon tank to replace the sock filter :oops:

Yeah thought about that too... I removed all the RTV from the inside of the o-ring.. I just used a toothpick to cut it all off after it all cured up..

The pump, sender unit fits into the tank reservoir at the bottom of the tank.

Got ya on the RTV.....it's nice to keep a small tube of gas safe RTV on hand........after some of us learned the hard way :oops:

So is that some kind of rubber bladder glued to the bottom?? I was just wondering what it looked like..

The pump, sender unit fits into the tank reservoir at the bottom of the tank.

Got ya on the RTV.....it's nice to keep a small tube of gas safe RTV on hand........after some of us learned the hard way :oops:

:thumbsup: Next time I'm at the parts store I'm going to pick up some. Any suggestions??? Nevermind Ill pm you..