Introduce your Comanche...

Pete M

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new here.Here is a pic of mine so far.

Image Not Found

It has a Chevy 4.3 Vortec motor,TCI full manual auto,4.3 Atlas,4 link rear suspension with 16" Fox 2.5 Airshox,Hi Pinion 9" with 40 spline axles,front suspension is a stock Clayton Long Arm system with 14" Fox 2.5 Airshox and a built Dana 44 for right know,should be a 60 in there before Spring,tires are 42 TSL's.We are almost done,some more tube work inside,wire it up,driveshafts,finish making body panels and some odds and ends.I'm thinking Thanksgiving will be it's first outing.

Here's an update on mine after the lift, looks like the RE 5.5" springs compliment the SOA rear very well. Still far from done, but it drove out of the garage ;)

DSCN0129.JPG

DSCN0562.JPG

DSCN0563.JPG

Tires are 32"x10.5" TSL Radials. They run pretty true to advertised height, pretty close to my worn 33"x12.5" TSL Radials on my YJ.

I posted all my vitals on my rigs in the Pub section. But in this post I will put a link to my Webshots and to a cool video clip of my MJ in action at the last Trail ride I went on.

Here is the link to my web shots http://community.webshots.com/user/cj7xjmj

http://www.zippyvideos.com/1208749221344956/pong_1/

That was the first time I really tested out my new suspension, and it was a lot different then the last time I rode in Pong.

Patrick

473009514XKRsxx_ph.jpg

So, it's an 87 Comanche Pioneer.

4WD BA10/5 4.0L 242K miles

Good body, some light surface rust

Tranny's got some odd noises, hoping to get another 10K out of it and then replace it with an AX-15.

On to the photos!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74249553@N00/

that's about the whole truck

floorpans got some light rust, not swis chese though. Slave cylinder hasn't leaked onto the fuse box, so that's a plus.

52022165_d4779b0445.jpg?v=0

Like all yours its an ongoing project!

September 2005, DAY ONE:

October 2005,

I washed and waxed it, took about 50lbs of mud from the undercarage, added some new tars and rims and a 3" lift and here it is:

March 2006,

I addd some new buckets and full gauges.

May 2006,

A set of swampers and a new to me set of 10 spokes w/ 1 1/4" wheel spacers to keep them out of the LCA's. ACOS spacers up front on top of 3" coils than RUSTYS 4" leafs out back. Here is the front done, here is the whole thing::

June 2006,

Ditched the spacers..too scary. Swampers reserved for another project. Got a new (to me) set of BFG 31's.

September 2006,

I added a bit more lift, chopped the fenders and moved the flairs up. Eliminated the rust around the rear flairs and added a set of 33 X 10.5 X 15 BFG MT's!! Then I built a swing out for the tail gate.

Feb/March 2007:

HUGE changes!!! D44 rear, W/ECTED, 4:56 gears both axles. JCR 1TON steering, COMPLETELY rebuilt front &rear axles. Alloy axle shafts in the 44. 33X10.5X15 BFG AT's on AR ATLAS alloy rims. Relocated my rear shocks for more flex!! Oh yea...and some nutz.

May 2007:

DROP DRACKETS & BILSTEIN 5100's!!

More to come!!!!

CW

Hi all, 3 weeks ago I bought this Comanche. The MJ's are very rare in Norway, but after searching over a year I was able to get this one, an 87 mod. with 133 000 miles.

It is 4WD, 4.0L, AW4 and D44.

It’s not bad concerning rust, just minor surface rust here and there, and in fair technical condition.

My plans are to modify it when I have time to spare, but right now I will fix all the technical issues and preserve it for further rust attack.

Here she is… :)

OK, here is mine.

IM001176.jpg

Used to be a 2wd Elim, now 4wd with a LPG Small block Chebby, SM465, flipped D300 w/a Down East Flip Kit, and 4.10s in an early disconnect D30 converted to one piece 297x axles, and a real crappy welded D35.

IM001182.jpg

(Needs a lil hammer work on the pinchweld, but that is as close as it gets- slightly longer LCAs will help as well)

IM001183.jpg

It came with 31" Futuras, but I had to see how my Q78s would fit- it is SOA in the rear, and I'm looking for about 5.5 in the front to level it out. (I may just go SOA in the front, however, as I haven't seen many coil XJ/MJ front suspensions that I like)

IM001177.jpg

As for axles, I'll probably swap an MJ44 in the rear (I come across XJ/MJ D44s fairly often), or better yet, a 30 Spline 8 3/4 into it. (I also have a line on a D60 out of a Charger with 4.10 and a 5 on 4 1/2" BP, but I think it may be overkill unless I use it in Top Shop Challenge @ RORP for the truck pull)

Been here for a little bit but kept forgetting to take pictures of my MJ. Picked it up cheap with a 4 cylinder in it. She'd been wrecked and was just sitting around in someone yard waiting for some TLC. The front needs some work. But she's beautiful to me. She'll soon be getting SOA in the rear and longer coils in the front in addition to a new powertrain. Changing out the interior for buckets and removing carpet to rhino..also installing a dash out of an XJ. But here she is before all the mods. AFter pictures to follow in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my new to me Comanche, its my third and second 2WD, its a 91 4.0L HO 2wd Auto w/long box.

Things I hope to accomplish this winter and have the parts to go in are AW4 tranny(4WD ver.),

D300 (flipin it), roll bar and lights to go on front and back as well a rear bumper.

Planing for a 5.5" lift next winter for the rear it's going SOA and the front well I'm on the fence,

looking at the TNT Custome Y-Arm OR the Clayton Offroad - Hard-Arm not shore.........

here's a picture of it the day I picked it up, nothing has change yet.

mjday1.jpg

Hey love the site! I thought I was the only one that loved these things. I have had three of them over the past few years. still have the first one and love it. I wheel the snot out of it here in the AK, this thing will go just about anywhere.

gota love 39's, not so grate one the gas though :)

Overnight trips will never be the same. I just need a heater back there.

Big icy hole (I exploded my front ring and pinon, and I had to be at the airport in three hours. I made it but I'm not sure how.)[/img]

try'd to do this a month ago but shutterfly wouldn't let me link pic's.

'91 2wd (for now) 4.0 w/ax-15 (kinda surprized me). found it with 3" now it sits around 5"-6".

1st day i picked it up.

1st real mod was to get ride of the turdy5. pick-n-pull 44 out of an xj and spring over.

how it sits now.

Here is my MJ, she's an 88 LWB 4.0, Ba10 , 231tcase . It still has the ole 210,000 mile axles and ba10 ( hopfully soon to be swaped )

it is sitting on 31's and in desperate need of a LWB factory roll bar.

here's a few of mine....

Stock ( just brought it home):

aab.sized.jpg

My Infamous Lake Side Poser Shot:

aad.jpg

And Finally an actual wheeling Poser Shot:

aam.jpg

Current Specs:

88 MJ Pioneer, 4.0L, 5spd AX-15, 33"s, 4.10's, ~6" lift, OBA, etc.

Future Specs:

D44 front(Power-Loc), D44 Rear (Spool), 5.89's, 36" TSL, Custom Long Arm Front, 3/4 Elliptical rear, ~10"frt & ~11"rear lift, SYE, custom bumpers w/winches front and rear, full rocker protection, etc...

Current Status:

In the garage with no front axle, and the rear axle just bolted in. Hopefully completion will be mid 2006.

Thanks,

Ryan

Here's my jewel in the rough!. I had a piece of junk van I wanted out of the yard , priced it for $400, a guy ask if I'd trade it for a Jeep truck, nuff said. It's rust free, original paint, 4.0 auto, 4x4, shortbox, buckets, floor shift. Bad news is it's a mechanical toilet!

I've started building it up.It'll be tubed and bedless. Going with a SOA 8.8, swapping in a non disco D30 with about 5.5 lift in the front and a 3 link. Going to try to stay light .....and cheap lol. I post some more current pics soon.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5d725b3127cce938df419aec100000016109AYuXLdy2ao

just picked this up last weekend for $400

'88 pioneer 2wd, bucket seats, 4.0, ba-10 5spd, 243xxx miles.

already added: xj d35 w/ 3.54 gears ez-lock, cd player and speakers, rear window tint, homemade air intake

hopefully in the future.. 44 rear, refreshed 4.0, ax15, soa rear and 5" lift in the front on 33's, maybe 4wd, 2wd is fun :D black or white spray paint

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone i just joined. Nice lookin MJ's! here are a few of mine.

89 shortbed, 3" rough country, trimmed fenders and TJ flares, 33x12.50 MT's on black cragars(not shown), and hopefully i will get the SOA done this spring. :twisted:

MJ_12_resize.JPG

MJ_18_resize.jpg

a run at the Bison Ranch in MO

MJ_19_resize.jpg

same run

MJ_65_resize.JPG

poser pic on a redneck RTI ramp.. :D