Stock radio help?

At the wrecking yard I found a stock cassette digital radio. Luckily on the back of the radio it has a wiring diagram and I'm pretty good hooking up stereo system, but this one has me stumped. Why a cassette instead of a CD player? I have XM radio and I use that more than Cd's and I need a radio for it to play through. Plus it says JEEP Dolby System on it. :cheers:

Any here is my problem, on the radio diagram it shows a wire for the panel dimmer that hooks with the rest of the dashboard lites and a LCD dimmer wire?

I hooked up the Panel dimmer wire with the LCD dimmer wire together since I didn't know where that LCD wire went and everything was fine. Until I noticed that when I had my key on and the radio on and no lites on that my parking lites were on as well. Shut off the radio and the parking lites shut off too. So I cut the LCD wire and the radio doesn't work now.

So where does the LCD wire hook to?

Why a cassette instead of a CD player?...Plus it says JEEP Dolby System on it. :cheers:

That's why I have the stock cassette stereos in my three MJs. Plus no one will break into it for a cassette player. Here are some wiring diagrams. They're from the '88 MJ electrical manual, maybe they're the same for an '86.

I can e-mail the actual PDFs to you, they're much clearer (PDF to JPG not too good), just PM and address.

Try this link. It should help you out. It's a good source for a lot of vehicles.

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/ste ... /1150.html

:cheers:

The link dosent answer my question though;

:dunno:

1988-90 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Wiring

Constant 12V+ Pink

Switched 12V+ Purple/Orange

Ground Black

Illumination Orange/Black

:redX: Dimmer Dark Blue/White ??????????????????????

Antenna Trigger Gray

Antenna Right Front

Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors

Left Front (+) Green

Left Front (-) Black/Yellow

Right Front (+) White

Right Front (-) Black

Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Tail Gate

Left Rear (+) Gray/White

Left Rear (-) Brown/White

Right Rear (+) White/Black

Right Rear (-) Brown

What does the dimmer do?

I don't have a dimmer wire on my 86, so where do I stick it.

The link dosent answer my question though;

:dunno:

1988-90 Jeep Cherokee Stereo Wiring

Constant 12V+ Pink

Ground Black

Illumination Orange/Black

:redX: Dimmer Dark Blue/White ??????????????????????

Antenna Trigger Gray

Antenna Right Front

Left Front (+) Green

Left Front (-) Black/Yellow

Right Front (+) White

Right Front (-) Black

Rear Speakers 5 1/4" Tail Gate

Left Rear (+) Gray/White

Right Rear (-) Brown

What does the dimmer do?

I don't have a dimmer wire on my 86, so where do I stick it.

Well actually, you don't have an illumination wire on the 86. At least according to the site that the link takes you to. If you would have hit the all jeeps, you would have seen the tab for 86. Sorry, I should have link straight to it for you. Here's what it has.

Constant 12V+ Red/White

Ground Black

Illumination n/a

Dimmer Orange/Black

Antenna Trigger Gray

Antenna Right Front

Left Front (+) Green

Left Front (-) Black/White

Right Front (+) White

Right Front (-) Black

Rear Speakers 4" x 6" Side Panels

Left Rear (+) Green/White

Right Rear (-) Brown

Maybe that will help.

If you post up a pic with what you have wired, that may help indentify the problem.

The orange and black is Illumination on my 86. The orange and black goes thru out the dash and Illuminates the lites for the switches, gages, and radio, and is controled by the dimmer off the lite switch.

The LCD dimmer wire is a different wire color on this radio from a 90.

And i agree with you that the Illumination or dimmer is N/A. But to get this radio going where would I hook up the wire for the dimmer so its not trying to run my lites too?

Yeah I had trouble putting a staock radio back in to and can't remember how I wired it. I finally got it lit up and all... Anyho I found a way to make it work with one exception, the radio will turn on when the ignition is off but the lighs have to be on for this to happen, the radio runs fine without the lights on and the ignition on, play around with the wirring, i think I tied two wires together...

The orange and black is Illumination on my 86. The orange and black goes thru out the dash and Illuminates the lites for the switches, gages, and radio, and is controled by the dimmer off the lite switch.

The LCD dimmer wire is a different wire color on this radio from a 90.

And i agree with you that the Illumination or dimmer is N/A. But to get this radio going where would I hook up the wire for the dimmer so its not trying to run my lites too?

The orange and black comes from the dimmer on the light switch, ie why it's labeled dimmer. Yes it runs the dash/insturment lights but is not illumination. Illumination comes from the light switch and powers the parking lights. When you pull the switch, it applies both with power. The original radio in the 86 and 87 only needed the dimmer for the back lighting and not the LCD(If I remember correctly, the digits are black on the LCD) and should be fed by the radio. In 88 when they changed the LCD to green digits(I think) they needed to be able to dim them. That came from the clock/radio illumination relay.

I guess long story short, in connecting the wires, you back fed 12volts to the illumination side of the light switch which made the parking lights come on and essential made the on off switch from the radio your new parking lights switch.

In looking at the 86 and 90 wiring diagrams, only the 90 points out the clock/radio illumination relay. This provides the inputs and outputs to dim the LCDs on the clock and radio with the input from the illumination and dimmer side of the light switch.

Not knowing what wires you have hooked up I can only say unhook everything and start with the basics. Power, switched power, and speakers. If the radio works then good.(I think it should without the dimmer or illumination but maybe not) Then try different combos with the last three, dimmer, illumination, and lcd dimmer doing one at a time till you find what works.

Just on a side note, I put a aftermarket in my 86 and the lcd does not dim with the dash lights. If it wasn't such a pain, I'd pull it to see which wires I hook to what.

Sorry so long and I hope this helps. If I'm wrong on anything, someone correct me. :thwak:

I think what messed me up that there is a blue wire in the OE radio plug on my 86. So I thought that it was for the power atenna lead, nope its something else. What ever.:dunno:

But I did get the radio figured out though. For the LCD Dimmer wire, I hooked it up with the main hot wire for the radio. It dosent dim when I turn on my lites.

But at least my parking lites don't come on now with the radio. :D