The worlds Fastest Comanche

Just thought I'd chyme in here. I'm not at all familliar about the hesco head and its runner volume v.s. stock, but you stated earlier about having to roughly double the stock air flow. I would just like to throw out this link (Extrude Hone). These guys force an abrasive paste through intake/exhaust manifolds, heads, you name it, to... well in their words "to remove rough cast surfaces that restrict horsepower efficiency of racing/performance components. By enlarging and uniformly polishing internal air and fluid passages, flow velocity is maximized." Just a thought you may already be aware of.

Also I would like to comment on your choice of airbag suspention. I have installed a couple air rides and rode in even more. I have always found them to be bouncy especially when running at a lower air pressure, wich you may be if you are using them strictly to go as low as you can for aerodynamics. I would probably favour adjustable coil-overs with bracketry that would allow incrimental adjustments. It's just something that stood out to me while reading, that you may have already thought through :dunno: .

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We decided not to use airbags on the front, we will use the stock suspension and make special dropped C pieces. It will be kind of like a dropped axle on a hot Rod. The airflow throught the Head and itake is a problem, the head currently flows 249cfm at .6 lift I think a stock head is in the 190 area. The 99+ intake is too restrictive, we will have to make a custom one.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to give you a little help if you don't mind. You will need to focus alot of attention on upper rpm torque. Think of hp as carrier of torque, the higher the hp, the faster the torque or power gets delivered. If you have a short distance to get up to speed, then you will need more hp. But if the distance is substantial, then hp is not of a big concern, torque is. Having said that, there are a few things that will not cost you any more money, but can give you a tremendous amount of hp and torque. Email me dheger5@yahoo.com

the suspension has changed again, Making the new C pieces turned into a big project. we finally determined that moving the axle attachment point (in the front) would be eaiser. we will cut down the tabds on the top of the axle and make new longer pieces on the bottom. We are looking to get about 4" lower an the suspension, that combines with 24.7" tires (29 or so is stock) should give us a total drop of about 6"

Of course moving the attachment points will not lower anything, you need shorter springs. I did some tests. the stock comanche spring is about 16" fully extended, with the vehicle weight on it, it goes down to 12" the weight is about 1400 lbs on the front end, so 700 lbs per side. the spring went down 4" so this gives a spring rate of about 175lbs/inch.

I looked around and found that Eibach makes springs for racing. I can get a 8" long spring with about any rate I want. So at stock height the spring is 12" i need to lower the car 4" so an 8" spring looks ok, but 8" is the height with no load on it. If i get a spring with a 600lb rate, the spring will only compress 1.125" this looks good to me, i will just make up shims to get it back to 8" height. This will give me some room to adjust things.

I will go with a 4 link in the back, with springs mounted behind the axle.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still working on the Comanche, pulled out the heater box and will loose the AC, anybody want this stuff? We are working on sealing up all the holes in the firewall and construction of the roll cage.

We did some engine simulations and they are posted here http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=739

Looks like close to 500 hp.

I was also able to score a timing geat setup that also drives the oil pump. Hesco made them 15 years ago and they are bulletproof. they only made 100 sets.

Can't believe I missed this thread so many times, guess I should have figured this build would be here somewhere as well as jeepstrokers.

At some point this weekend I hope to have simulations of individual runner intake versus a single plane style carb intake....

Without totally spilling the beans.... Pete what are the chances you can afford something like a custom tunnel ram? I know you've mentioned putting a plenum on top of the IR runners, if the plenum is tuned (sized) correctly it will give you Helmholtz wave tuning effects which a plain IR intake can't do.

The IR intake sacrifices reflected wave tuning effects for inertial ramming effects, a tunnel ram gives you both and is pretty much the defacto standard intake form factor in any racing where they are legal and big hood bulges are allowed (where stock appearance isn't a factor).

Anyway look for some simulated experiments in that thread that Pete linked to later this weekend (tonight hopefully). I don't know what a TR will do for the simulation but it should be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, we sent the Comanche off to paint today, should be back next week. the roll cage is in as well as the racing seat. I had to go with a removable steering wheel so you can get in and out. When to comes back we will start on the suspension and fuel system. We tool out the stock gas tank and put a fuel cell into the bed.

The engine work is progressing, but slowly. I did manage to score a Hesco gear oil pump/cam drive. You can see a picture of one here if you scroll dow to the bottom of the page, http://www.hesco.us/customergallery.asp?action=form&formID=1725&recordID=90225

I am using shaft roller rockers and a solid roller cam. I am working on a hosting site for the pictures, but i do not want them to go away after a while. As soon as i get that straightened out, I will get the pictures up.

Tough to say when everything will be togather. Hopefully we will have the engine togather before the end of May, but the car will probably not be ready before the end of June. This is very one of a kind vehicle and many of the parts have to be fabricated. I am hoping we an get some runs in on the back roads before going to Bonnevile.

Man did Lee give you another free part? Pete we have speculated at length on jeepstrokers forum on just what that assembly was, my guess was it was a gear drive on the end of the cam like the fuel pump drive on Barney Navarro's turbo indy car AMC I6. Very cool.

Well, i got my number assigned, I tried for 140 like the 1986 truck, but nothing with even 3 digits was available. We ended up with number "1985" we will run the truck under the name "Comanche LSR III " You are limited to 17 characters for the vehicle name. If sombody has a better idea for a name, I have 2 weeks before i send the application in.

I am working on a hosting site for the pictures, but i do not want them to go away after a while. As soon as i get that straightened out, I will get the pictures up.

:huh???: Use Photobucket. It's free, easy to use, and everything has already been straightened out.

Willy

Here is a realy cool slat flat comanche. I think this guy is in a different catagory then what your going for. He is rocking a 306 dual 4-barrol chevy with a top speed of 168mph so far! Here is a quick excerpt from the bellow site.

C = The engine size/class designation: 306 thru 372 cid (5.01 to 6.1L). 'C' is the largest engine size that can run in the MMP class.

M = Modified: engine swap and/or quick change rear end.

M = Mini: 1972 and later American and foreign made mid and mini size pickup trucks with full stock bed and unaltered in hight, width or contour with all panels mounted in the original relationship to each other.

P = Pickup: Covering of pickup beds with tarps or panels is allowed. The cover must be no higher than the edge of the pickup bed. After market bed caps are allowed but must not allow any aerodynamic advantage.

Worth a looky, may see something worth looking into deeper ;) Props to you you have an excellent build going so far can't waight to see some pictures.

http://home.comcast.net/~lakeviewcruiser/site/

Check them out they may be able to share some insider info. Looks like a sick rig.

Cheers,

Well, i guess he does have the worlds fastest comanche right now, but is it really a Comanche if it has a chevy engine in it? He is running in a modified class, Which means that the vehicle had been drasticly modified from it stock configuration. We will be running D ( less than 5L, but more than 4.3L) Production Mid-mini pickup class. We have to run a version of the engine that came in the car. It can be bored and stroked, heads can be ported, things like that.

I did drop him an Email, it would be helpfull to know how the comanche handles on the salt, what kind of tires work, things like that.

I am suprised he is only running 306 cid, in that class you can run up to 360CID. Jessell ran a 2005 dodge ram in the C Modified pickup ( full size) back in 2006 and went 224 mph. Quite a feat when you consider that the hp requirements go up as a qube ( 10-3 power) of the speed. Jessell ran a nascar motor without a restrictor plate.

Just checked my rule book, the current record in the C/mmp class is 210.473 mph. That is a long way from his old top speed of 168mph

Sure is but in think the father son team can squeez a bit more out of that 306. I was reading a bit more on there site adn after they dialed in that engine a bit more they were making 10sec passes a the local 1/4 mile. Unfortunatly snapped the crank.

Man that engine sounds insane! You wil have to shoot a vid of that tricked out 4.0L. Love to here what that beast would sound like. Have you had a chance to check out there videos on the web site? I think they are under the events tab 2007 has a few cab view passes on the salt flats. Those mile sign were sure passing fast.

I think they had there engine dyno at 7000RPM for 520hp. give you something to go by 460hp at 6200rpm... aprox 168 mph on there mj setup.

• 1 month later...

Looks good. I really like the stance. I guess I am going to have to read back a few pages and see how you lowered it. Have you made any shack down runs and if so how fast?