The worlds Fastest Comanche

One reason Ford 9" are popular with racers is that the entire center section can be unbolted (it's called a third member) and another one, complete with gears can be bolted in. So you can have a bunch of third members, each set up with different gears, and just bolt in the one needed for the track. Each NASCAR track specifies it's own gear ratio that has to be used.

That, and they are relatively strong. Pretty strong enough to handle 8 miles at 200 mph.

A Dana 70, and even a 60 would add too much weight in return for unneeded strength. There is such a thing as overkill.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we are going with a 9" I will post a write up wth pictures when we do it. Fot the higher speeds, we need very high gears 3.0 or 2.89. The 9" has a better selection of gears then the D44. The rear end ratio will depend on Which trans we use. Currently the truck has a AX15, which i do not think will take the horsepower we will be putting out. The cheapest route would be to go with a T5, the were used in Mustangs and Comaros in the 90's. Twi=o versions were uses " world class" and "Non world class" . The world class is the good one. this is a 5 speed and the overdrive ratios can be .80, .73, and .63. Just depends which one you get. You would think that the .63 would be the best for high speed, but maybe not. the .80 might workout better. You have to look at the rpm when you shift. if going from 4th (1:1) to 5th (.63 ) te dropi n your engine RPM may be too much, then you may drop out of your maxium power band, a 5th gear of .8 would drop the engine RPM less, so you can stay in the "sweet spot"

The other options would be to go with the t56 (tremic) 6 speed or the Prchmond 6 speed. the t56 is more available since it was used on GM and ford cars. the richmond is strictly an aftermarket unit. Both 6 speeds have a double overdrive 5th is generally .73 and 6th is generally .5 5th so if you had a .5 overdrive and the engine was going 6,000 rpm, the driveshaft and pinion would be going 12,000 rpm. No wonder the want a hoop under the driveshaft.

Probably, but when you're dreaming, money is no object. :D And yup, I was planning on a lakewood bellhousing.

On a side note, if you do get permission to go behind the scenes at the museum, let me know and I'll meet you there. :cheers: I've been meaning to get up there for years now and never have. :(

a t-5 from a 5.0 mustang would be a complete waste of time... they throw out 2nd every other day... really not a great transmission and doesnt stand up to the abuse of a stock 5-0

ax15 would most likely be fine with that kind of power, do you have an end number in mind you like to reach? you won't be slamming it into gear or dumpin the clutch from a standstill to reach this type of record so it's more about what gear ratios the transmission has honestly

a t-5 from a 5.0 mustang would be a complete waste of time... they throw out 2nd every other day... really not a great transmission and doesnt stand up to the abuse of a stock 5-0

I think your comments relate to the eearly NWC ( Non World Class) transmissions, they were used until the mid to late eightys. the NWC treanmissions were still used, but in the high performance cars they went with the WC transmissions. Here is a link to find out what kind of trans you might have and which vehicle it was used in http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

actually, if i did not need a scattershield, i would go with a NV 3550. great trans, and the 2wd units do not go for that much money. plus since it came in the cherokee, it goes right into a MJ. Problem is that you cannit get a scattershield for it.

What about a Toyota 2wd rear axle. I believe it's the 8" same as the 4wd model and has drop out 3rd member like the Ford 9". Also has the 5x4.5 wheel bolt pattern. Those axles have stood up to many a huge tire....

What about a Toyota 2wd rear axle. I believe it's the 8" same as the 4wd model and has drop out 3rd member like the Ford 9". Also has the 5x4.5 wheel bolt pattern. Those axles have stood up to many a huge tire....

Toyota had a 5 lug pattern??? I thought they where all 6 lug....

I think your comments relate to the eearly NWC ( Non World Class) transmissions, they were used until the mid to late eightys. the NWC treanmissions were still used, but in the high performance cars they went with the WC transmissions. Here is a link to find out what kind of trans you might have and which vehicle it was used in http://www.britishv8.org/Articles/Borg-Warner-T5-ID-Tags.htm

actually, if i did not need a scattershield, i would go with a NV 3550. great trans, and the 2wd units do not go for that much money. plus since it came in the cherokee, it goes right into a MJ. Problem is that you cannit get a scattershield for it.

I think that you're mistaken about the quality of the T5 transmission. it is in the same class as the AX5, and would not hold up behind a 4.0 of any sort...hence the reason that T5's were the SUBSTITUTE for the AX5 when the factory ran short.

you want a good, tested, solid, and proven 5 speed behind the 4.0? go with the AX15 and you will have no issues.

2wd models are 5x4.5

2wd models are 5x4.5

Sweet I did not know that. Is that all the years or just a selected few?

Nope, not done yet, Maybe i should start part II, Last week i received a copy of the AMC press release where the announced the records. It reads in part:

"Southfield Mich. -- The Jeep Comanche pickup truck, only in its second year on the market, already has beaten the competition to the proverbial "Quick"

A specially -prepared 1987 2 wheel drive Comanche powered by a modified version of American Motors' new 4 liter, fuel-injected 6 cylinder engine set 9 US and 4 International records late in 1986 in the trials at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The highlight was the the Comanche's record adverage speed of 141.381 mph in a two way dash over a 1 mile measured course at Bonneville. It's peak speed was 144.028 mph

Not only did the comanche set seven speed marks for trucks, it also established six national and international records for vehicles of any kind, including passanger cars."

The international records were set in the 3-5 liter class, this just goes to show how powerful the 4.0 was for the time. the 4.2l ( the old motor) was only rated at about 120hp, and the 4.0 was 175hp with the MPFI

The comanche was and is a great product, even today, it is hard to find a mini pickup with a 2200lb payload capacity.

I think that you're mistaken about the quality of the T5 transmission. it is in the same class as the AX5, and would not hold up behind a 4.0 of any sort...hence the reason that T5's were the SUBSTITUTE for the AX5 when the factory ran short.

you want a good, tested, solid, and proven 5 speed behind the 4.0? go with the AX15 and you will have no issues.

please tell me why Chevrolet used them for YEARS behind a 305SBC in a camaro? and why did Ford use them in the Mustang?

please tell me why Chevrolet used them for YEARS behind a 305SBC in a camaro? and why did Ford use them in the Mustang?

i'm not tryin to pick a fight, but i know from experience the ones in mustangs its kinda just "what they do" they all kill 2nd gear or others... the one i tore down was shredded to pieces.

just cause they DID it... doesn't make it right

i don't know its possible chevy used a different model of it that is mo-better-er