Losing clutch fluid ONLY in reverse?

Like 3 weeks ago my MJ suddenly lost all the clutch fluid, at first i thought either the master or slave went south but after filling it up and bleeding it i worked again, after a week, again lost all fluid at once while going backwards, it was working fine until i put it in reverse, again filled it up and worked... yesterday, AGAIN! but only while backing up, see the pattern?

while driving forward, i can press and hold the clutch with no problem

try to go in reverse, boom the clutch fluid leaks non stop

no sign of leakeage anywhere but from the bellhousing so it means the slave is done but why ONLY in reverse? any ideas?

Your signature says "1998 shortbed."  I will assume that it is a 1989 MJ.

Also, you have an AX15.  Is it an internal slave cylinder?  I will also assume it is since '89 first got the AX15 internal slaves.

The through-out bearing seal may have a diagonal cut in it.  When you drive forward, the cut is closed; you leak fluid slowly.

When you go into reverse, you open the cut; you lose fluid quickly.

Either way, the slave cyl needs replacing.

Do you feather the clutch more in reverse?  Backing up or down a hill?

i think i do it the same in both directions, but while parking in or out i back and forth several times, that`s when the fluid leaks...

Did you check the flexible hose between the master and the slave?

yes, no leak, only from the bellhousing

Your signature says "1998 shortbed."  I will assume that it is a 1989 MJ.

does it? haha it does gotta fix that, it`s an 88

Also, you have an AX15.  Is it an internal slave cylinder?  I will also assume it is since '89 first got the AX15 internal slaves.

The through-out bearing seal may have a diagonal cut in it.  When you drive forward, the cut is closed; you leak fluid slowly.

When you go into reverse, you open the cut; you lose fluid quickly.

yes it`s a AX15 internal slave

that would explain it but isn`t the slave firmly attached to the tranny? also the input shaft always rotates in the same direction regarless of the gear.... anyway you are right the slave must be shot...

...the input shaft always rotates in the same direction regardless of the gear.... anyway you are right the slave must be shot...

:doh: You're correct.  My fingers were typing faster than my brain.

But, yes, a new slave cyl is necessary.