Level the MJ?

Hey guys

So i ran into a little issue while doing the axle swap on my MJ. The stock springs that I pulled off of the donor jeep, put the front ride height at about same height as with a 2wd axle. looks like the rear is about 1.5 inches higher than the front. Its not that major, but should the truck be leveled? I ask this now as the driveshaft is too long right now that was also pulled from the same jeep and needs to be shortened. I would rather shorten the shaft after putting the lift on for proper measurement. 

If it is worth leveling, is there a metal spacer kit? I would like to stay away from poly spacers, but its not as heave on the front as the WJs (mine has those for 2")

Is there any benefits to leveling an MJ? I will go to a slightly larger tire size (245/70 R16) instead of 235/75 R15, but thats where this will stay cause this is the DD/parts hauler and a truck

Also, have any of you noticed that the the driver side of the truck sits lower than the passenger (looking from the back)? The fuel tank is on that side and right now at about half so attributing it to that.

Thanks guys

As for the drivers side lean, yeah that's normal. With the fuel tank there and if you primarily drive alone, the springs will sag more on that side.

The truck sitting higher in the rear is called rake. It's done that way from the factory so that when the bed is loaded down, it will sit level rather than sag. I'm not sure what, if any benefits would come from leveling it but it costs money to lift the front up.

You mention lift, are you planning to lift the whole truck or were you talking about a small leveling lift for the front?

Its just for leveling. I would only put a leveling lift on the front if needed. As far as the tires go, the new ones are .5" larger. They will fit I am sure. 

Thanks for the info guys. Think Ill just go without the lift, but if others see this, then by all means say your opinion. I want to hear what everyone has to say

Is there any benefits to leveling an MJ? I will go to a slightly larger tire size (245/70 R16) instead of 235/75 R15, but thats where this will stay cause this is the DD/parts hauler and a truck

ts just for leveling. I would only put a leveling lift on the front if needed. As far as the tires go, the new ones are .5" larger. They will fit I am sure. 

.5 inches larger than what?

235/75R15 was never a factory tire size, neither on the MJ nor on the XJ. The largest tire size from the factory was 225/75R15. So even a 235/75 is larger than the largest tire offered from the factory. It's 0.6 inches taller and 0.4 inches wider.

Compared to a 235/75R15, a 245/70R15 is actually 0.4 inches smaller in diameter, but it's 0.3 inches wider in cross section. And that's where it WON'T fit. It's wider than a 30x9.50-15, and I know first-hand that 30x9.50s rub on the lower control arms at full steering lock. And lift does NOT eliminate that problem; the only thing that eliminates it is either wheels with less backspacing, or WJ lower control arms.

I am going to a 245/70 R16, not R15. I am putting the tires off of the WJ basically on it cause I have a spare. And want new wheels too

But WJ wheels have a different bolt circle. They won't fit an MJ.

My bad on the tire size. Basically, a 245/70R16 is the same diameter as a 30x9.50-15, and it's a tenth of in inch wider in cross section. My comment remains unchanged: I ran 30x9.50s for a number of years, before moving up to 31x10.50s, and the 30s rubbed on the LCAs at full steering lock. Not a lot, but consistently, and I NEVER remembered it was going to happen until I heard the rumble, and said to myself "You dummy, when are you going to learn?"

you should only level the truck if you need high performance like a off roading Baja race truck, they level it so that the vehicle can be balance when turning at high speeds, other then that if your just going to use it for normal use and you often load up the bed with stuff then you want the bed to be a few inches higher to compensate for the load 

Any lift will affect your caster, and not all alignment shops will bother to check it. Some people have attributed death-wobble to improper caster angles, but you likely will only experience a change in how the steering centres itself, if anything.

If you do level your truck, kindly make sure your headlights get adjusted down to compensate.