Air conditioning

I have an 89 Comanche pioneer I6, factory no a/c. Is it possible to put a/c in my jeep? What's involved in putting a/c in a Comanche? What parts will I need? Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Assuming you have the ac delete bracket in place now, you would remove that and install a compressor.

You would also need to install a condenser and receiver drier. Next, you would decide if you want to install the (way it would have been from the factory) evaporator in your dash... OR get an underdash evaporator.

If you get an in dash unit, you'll need an expansion valve. If you do underdash, most come with it already.

Your evaporator choice will also determine if you need to purchase new HVAC controls or not.

From there, run the lines.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Assuming you have the ac delete bracket in place now, you would remove that and install a compressor.

You would also need to install a condenser and receiver drier. Next, you would decide if you want to install the (way it would have been from the factory) evaporator in your dash... OR get an underdash evaporator.

If you get an in dash unit, you'll need an expansion valve. If you do underdash, most come with it already.

Your evaporator choice will also determine if you need to purchase new HVAC controls or not.

From there, run the lines.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So my dash is cracked and that's a pretty good excuse to take it out and swap in an hvac box that has an evaporator. Assuming that's where it is. I would like to make everything like it would be from factory. Would it be smart to round up a complete system from a Cherokee or Comanche in a junk yard or buy new?

Um, for these jeep unless somebody has a good kit I don't know about it's a real pain to get ac. You need the HvAC dash box and brackets as mention but also the dash and engine harness too.

For whatever reason these jeep were wired ac and non ac, while other upgraded can be plug and play this one is not.

Under dash ac can be pretty universal so that may work. Sad thing is wranglers have kits to add ac to them, XJ/mj don't. Mostly because of how the wiring harness is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So my dash is cracked and that's a pretty good excuse to take it out and swap in an hvac box that has an evaporator. Assuming that's where it is. I would like to make everything like it would be from factory. Would it be smart to round up a complete system from a Cherokee or Comanche in a junk yard or buy new?

Sounds like you need to start scrounging the junkyards for a same or similar year XJ.  Pull as much as you can from it, HVAC box (if it's cracked you can fiberglass it.  I just did mine), A/C controls, wiring harness, compressor bracket, and all the pictures you can take before and while you pull this stuff off.  I've got an '89 XJ 2-door that I'm trying to get rid of, problem is it's in another state (Georgia).  I'll try and find any pics I may have of it.

Um, for these jeep unless somebody has a good kit I don't know about it's a real pain to get ac. You need the HvAC dash box and brackets as mention but also the dash and engine harness too.

For whatever reason these jeep were wired ac and non ac, while other upgraded can be plug and play this one is not.

Under dash ac can be pretty universal so that may work. Sad thing is wranglers have kits to add ac to them, XJ/mj don't. Mostly because of how the wiring harness is.

Sounds like I'll stick to the open window kind of a/c until I do the high output engine, 97+ dash swap in the future lol. Sounds like a lot of work to do just to take it all off in the future.

Sounds like I'll stick to the open window kind of a/c until I do the high output engine, 97+ dash swap in the future lol. Sounds like a lot of work to do just to take it all off in the future.

If you're doing that upgrade that would be the time to get ac installed.

Those under dash ac should work in almost any application. But if your going to upgrade to 97+ I'd go for factory ac.

For years I wanted my 85 XJ to have ac, it's a high altitude jeep from out west with no ac.

Just in the past year do to necessity I've up graded the engine and dash harness to one that actually has ac, now I'm thinking why bother. That and the v6 isn't that great robbing it of power probably isn't a good idea.

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone needs A/C parts use Universal Air Inc. ask for Shelly Barnes and use your shop name, I am sure we all have a shop name.

They are direct importers and they are on Heritage Parkway in Mansfield, TEXAS. South of Ft. Worth, TEXAS.

They ship.

I just purchased a NEW compressor for my Jeep for $90, the suction hose was $7.70, the expansion block was $10.

They have an online catalog.

Shelly is a nice lady.

Texasjack