Electrical Issues

Hey all,

I am having some electrical trouble with my Comanche. Two separate issues:

1) I've noticed recently that my headlights will turn off intermittently. If I push the knob in and pull it back out, it typically fixes the problem for a little while, but it always comes back. I've replaced the headlight fuse a couple times as it keeps melting. I'm sure this is somehow related, but uncertain as to the root cause. Any thoughts?

2) My windshield washer fluid won't spray. There's plenty of fluid in the tank and the wipers move side to side. Help! My windshield is getting filty!

Thanks for helping a Comanche amateur like me!

Test the connection.  I think I got around 5 volts, but no sound/anything from the motor.  Replaced and had no issues.  You should be able to hear the motor running (while looking at it in the engine bay..not in the cab) when you flip the washer fluid on.

What do you have for headlamps? Standard sealed beams or something else, like halogens?

Standard sealed beams. I can replace the fuse and the problem goes away for awhile, but do you have any thoughts on why it keeps melting?!

Exactly which fuse is melting? Where is it and how is it labeled?

Thought my washer pump had quit working for years. One day when I finally decided to troubleshoot it, turned out the "T" fitting which supplies the fluid to both sprayers was broken. It is located under the cowling where the wiper motor is located.

My wife noticed the water dripping under the truck.... Certainly worth the dummy check. 

What do you have for headlamps? Standard sealed beams or something else, like halogens?

Standard sealed beams. I can replace the fuse and the problem goes away for awhile, but do you have any thoughts on why it keeps melting?!

Exactly which fuse is melting? Where is it and how is it labeled?

It's labeled "HAZ/STOP" and it's a 15 amp fuse. Looks like some plastic may have melted off from a former fuse. The prongs look awful dirty and are possibly not making a great contact. 

I've got to figure this out. It's driving me nuts and is beginning to be unsafe while driving at night.