Well, needless to say my rear shock install didn't go as planned. The upper rear shock mount threads snapped clean off.

How screwed am I?  Any ideas on how I can fix this or replace the mount?  It looks like some kind of rod passes through a tube in the frame rail and is welded into the wheel well.  Does this assembly have a part number?

Thanks guys. Maybe I'll try ordering that Dorman part and seeing if I can find a shop to weld it up.  I would prefer to keep as much of that smooth shank as possible since that's bearing all the load. 

My only other idea would be to dremel loose that weld and put the air hammer to that nub.  Assuming it's some sort of rod connected to the shock mount, that might punch it out of the socket.  

Or is that a crazy idea?  Don't suppose anyone has cut into that section of the frame rail before that could confirm how that shock mount is fitted to the frame?

• 1 year later...

I'm updating this thread for archival purposes since it seems like a couple of people have had this same problem recently. 

There is no great solution to this problem. The rear shock mount is not easily removable, nor is a replacement readily available by part number.  On the bright side, the threaded part of the shock mount doesn't bear the brunt of the shock load so any repaired threads should just need to be strong enough keep the shock from sliding off the mount.

I ended up ordering a threaded rod in the appropriate diameter and thread pitch from zoro.com, then had a shop weld it on for me.  I did not grind off what was left of the broken stud.  The welder said that would have been a bad idea.  Instead, the guy welded up over what was left of the original stud and mated it with the new piece to ensure a solid bond.  Below is the only picture I could find at the moment.  The fix was still a work in process at this point.   After this photo,  we made sure the stud was straight and level, then did some shaping of the weld joint with a grinder and a file to make sure the shock bushing could slide over it.   The fix has held rock solid for nearly a year now with several wheeling trips.  

Wj8mwUW.jpg