Thermostat Ooze

So I was looking over the engine since I am looking into a random flux in engine temp and notice yellow/orange ooze that looks to be dripping out of the thermostat. Picture below. Anyone ever seen this before or have any idea what could cause this? Thank you for your time and help.

Omega_rugal,

Thank you for the replay and do you think flushing the system would be a good idea after changing the thermostat housing?

Also, I want to apologize in advance since I am still trying to figure out the notification system.

You may be going down the rabbit hole when you replace the thermostat/housing. Yes, that is where you want to start since it is clearly leaking. But just like omega_rugal said, if it looks that nasty on the outside it probably looks just as bad inside the block. You may end up replacing all the cooling system components whether you want to or not.

When I got my MJ the previous owner filled up the block with hose water, which rusted over time and froze on me in the winter shortly after I bought it. Popped out a freeze plug and as I pulled the manifolds off to get a better look it was clear the entire block was filled with brown water/rust/junk. I probably flushed 20+ gallons through until it was clear, not including a baseball-sized amount of rust/flakes/sand I pulled out by hand that was in the back of the block, behind the rear freeze plug. All said and done I ended up having to replace everything: radiator, hoses, water pump, thermostat, heater core, since it was all contaminated.

Hopefully a flush is all you need. Take a pic once you pull that housing off. Hopefully it's just some nasty sealant/gasket from the housing mixed with coolant....

if you have the tools why not, if that stuff is dripping out imagine how much will be inside

That is true. Overlooked that thought.

if you have the tools why not, if that stuff is dripping out imagine how much will be inside

indeed. Look like a cleaning and flushing is in order

MeanLemons thank you for the reply also. I shall clean and flush. Afterwards let you know if there is anything else I'm stumped on.

Airborne Janitor, I appreciate the insight and the information. I will get a picture once it is off and report back.

Thank you for the replies!

Yeah a flush is definitely in order. Make sure you don't flush it all through the radiator or heater core. Disconnect the lines and flush them separately from the block. If you flush through them and the block, they will clog and be ruined. The flush will also be way more effective not going through them. Just pull the hoses and loop it where the heater core would be and flush through the rad hoses, both forward and backwards.

There is nothing wrong with that housing, clean it up.

Crud is from 15 years of non-service. I would just wash out with a water hose. Acid flush will cause that muck to loosen up and cause overheating......unless you are prepared for multiple-multiple flushes, and even then.........

I never use RVT where water/coolant is present, Permatex #2.

Crud is from 15 years of non-service. I would just wash out with a water hose. Acid flush will cause that muck to loosen up and cause overheating......unless you are prepared for multiple-multiple flushes, and even then.........

Thank you Jeep Driver! Would / should I flush the entire system as well after I put it back together?

i wonder if is posible/useful to put sacrificial anodes somewhere in the engine to retard rusting...

No. Cathodic protection systems are used extensively on underground tanks and pipelines, ship hulls, etc. but never successfully on automobiles.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathodic_protection#Automobiles

that thing is electrical, looks like snake oil to me... antirust agents in the coolant work the same way, the corrode instead of the engine and eventually run out...

Thank you Jeep Driver! Would / should I flush the entire system as well after I put it back together?

I'd replace the water pump too while I was there, stick a hose in the block and wash it out until the water comes clear.

Alright, so I was finally able to drain the radiator and remove the Thermostat housing.

The hoses that connected to the housing has some corrosion on them so I might just go head and replace them.

What about the block, behind the thermostat housing? What did the fluid look like there?

Hate to do this to you, but that plug is NPT, that is, its pipe thread. If plug leaks do not attempt to over tighten it. You'll need anti-galling compound. Hope I'm not to late.

Its all good Ohm. I have been scolded before by my grandfather for over-tightening NPT before so I didn't do it this time. So far so good but will check all the hoses over again today when I get home.

Random questions that is sort of related, what threading is the radiator drain plug? I was trying to find a 90 degree to put in there so I can attempt to make less of a mess when draining it.

Thank you everyone for your comments and feedback. I greatly appreciate it!