A/C Question(s)

The time has finally come for Rambo to get A/C reinstalled (not a moment too soon either, it's warm down here in the swamp!).  I'm doing a complete conversion to 134a and removing/replacing as much of the factory system as I can to hopefully eliminate contamination and issues later.

So far I have:

- All Pro (APDI/PRO) A/C Condenser 7014173

- Four Seasons Refrigerant Hoses 56279 & 56278

- GPD A/C Compressor and Component Kit 9722328

which includes:

A/C system O-rings and seals 1321292

A/C expansion valve 3411290

A/C Receiver Drier/Accumulator 1411539

A/C Compressor 7511574

-Crown Automotive Heater Core 56000049 (I know not needed, but I figured if I was pulling the dash I'd replace it anyways)

-Four Seasons Evaporator Core 54812

Now my questions:

Is there anything else I've overlooked?  I already have the new heater hoses from the '96+ (?) Cherokee to eliminate the heater valve. 

Has anyone used the Omix-Ada severe-duty condenser?  http://www.vintagejeepparts.com/products/55036779_Condensor%2C-Severe-Duty%3B-91%252d96-Jeep-Cherokee-XJ.html  It's around $200 depending on where in the internet you look, wasn't sure if it was physically bigger or what.  I would think that the climate I'm in would warrant such a thing if it were though......

And where is the cheapest place to get roughly 4lbs of 134a?  The local shop wants nearly $100 for it!  And that's after they charge $600 for the labor to install everything (although I think I'm gonna do the underdash stuff this weekend if I can).

Thanks!

I'll be watching this very closely as I'm in the beginning stages of doing exactly this on my truck.  If I'm recalling correctly most if not all of this stuff is different from the Renix years.

I'm also interested to see if anyone has anything to say about that "extreme duty" condenser. Is it actually more efficient than the original or just typical aftermarket BS?

Is that for your 92 Pioneer? do you know if the parts listed are compatible with the 89 model years?

Should be the same as far as I know. Most of the parts are 81-95 XJ cross listed.

I bought mine mostly off rock auto with exception of the heater core. Shipping and tax everything came to $499.77. Not cheap but I'm tired of sweating (and more importantly single during the summer).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It looks like you have the discharge line, (Compressor to condenser) and the liquid line (Receiver to Expansion valve). There are 4 hoses in total, you also need the line from the condenser to the receiver, and the suction line. (expansion valve to compressor.)

Is that for your 92 Pioneer? do you know if the parts listed are compatible with the 89 model year?

Depending on the type of expansion valve you have, most parts are the same, save the compressor. 1990 and earlier use an sd508 style, with the mounting bolts running front to rear instead of vertically.

It looks like you have the discharge line, (Compressor to condenser) and the liquid line (Receiver to Expansion valve). There are 4 hoses in total, you also need the line from the condenser to the receiver, and the suction line. (expansion valve to compressor.)

Wouldn't happen to have pics by chance would ya?  I don't want to get halfway into this and have to wait for parts.....

According to RockAuto:

******78 is Suction Line (Low Pressure - Compressor to Evaporator) expandh.gif

and ******79 is Discharge Line (High Pressure - Compressor to Condenser) expandh.gif

Sorry for the weird text, copied and pasted from their site.  They're not showing other hoses....I'm wondering if the ones you mentioned are hard pipe that is bent into place?

I can dig some up,

Looks like I was wrong, you have the suction and discharge lines.

(Sorry about that. the a/c system in my truck is a mix of parts from 3 different years, and I've been staring at hoses myself for far too long)

Looks like you need Chrysler 56004839, HOSE, Receiver to Condenser

s-l1600.jpg

and Chrysler 56004378, HOSE, Receiver to Evaporator

56004378.jpg

You may want to verify those numbers to be sure, but that's what they show in the Chrysler parts catalog for a 1992 Comanche.

Hm, interesting. If you look at the '91 parts on Rockauto it says pretty much all of them are 91-93. If you look at the '89 parts, it says some are 87-90, some are 91-96, and some even further. So it looks like the compressor and evaporator core are for sure different, but who knows on the other stuff. Interchange databases make me want to pull my hair out  :fs1:

My parts book agrees with Ataki's part numbers BTW.

Tex,

I won't buy another thing from Amix-Ada, poor quality in my opinion. 

jeepair, I was arranging an entire new system from them, since I'm now going V8............AC is going to be a while. 

I'd call jeepair before you order. 

Unless you know how much oil to add, and how much refrigerant, and have gauges to measure the high and low pressure, I'd let the shop do the charge on the system. No sense spending the money and doing the work and then short changing yourself on the charging. Since it's all new, it needs die also so you can see if anything is leaking after all the install. Good luck with it all, AC is nice. 

Unless you know how much oil to add, and how much refrigerant, and have gauges to measure the high and low pressure, I'd let the shop do the charge on the system. No sense spending the money and doing the work and then short changing yourself on the charging. Since it's all new, it needs die also so you can see if anything is leaking after all the install. Good luck with it all, AC is nice.

Father is an A/C man and all the specs are available online. Have gauges, 2 vacuum pumps, etc. Even if ya do over or under charge the system, they're pretty forgiving.

Tex06,

Lucky you with your dad the a/c man! Please do a big write up with plenty of pictures. I will need to install a/c on the diesel TDI Comanche when it is done.

I'll do my best. Tomorrow I'm pulling the dash and installing the heater core and evap coil.

Here's the parts needed for the A/C. It looks like the hoses I have are for the 4 cylinder MJ. I'll have to figure out if it'll fit or not. 7fbd0718abab56815be78e7128272488.jpg5d9811ceb72378d9a1aecc95549d348f.jpg

Other questions:

I'm assuming the PAG oil capacity is the same as the original mineral oil. Can anyone confirm?

This is what I found do far:

COMANCHE

1990-1992 All Engines R12 38.00 Mineral 4.50oz

1989 All Engines R12 32.00 Mineral 6.00oz

Also, I managed to break the t'stat. MOPAR number is 55035503... anyone seen a replacement of these? I did a quick search and came up empty so far.

Well, found out why the A/C was likely disconnected. Hole in the evap casing.... Which means I'll be pulling my carpet son because I bet this thing dumped water all over the floorboards. A little fiberglass, a little paint and it should be good to go. debaf391163d5bbc26af81c9b9e7eace.jpgf76b4d74e60d0f0f7e21c20c925f72a4.jpg545e37490b139465b949e038410eb15d.jpg

Well....ran into a snag or two.  Turns out the factory hoses don't have valves on them....and neither does the compressor.  So what I'm thinking is I'm going to buy the hoses for a '96 Cherokee (saw one in the junkyard, came with 134a factory and has the charging ports on the hoses).  The hookup locations for the evap are the same, condenser looks pretty damn close if not exactly the same, and I'll probably have to get a new accumulator with a low-pressure switch and mount it in the '96 factory location (no idea where it mounted on the '92......it wasn't in my truck when I got it).  I'll have to cut the LPS connector off my harness and solder in a '96 style connector.  

Anybody see issues with this?

Apparently the '92 uses a Low Pressure Switch and and '96 uses a High Pressure switch........  Shouldn't matter, switch is closed when pressure is within spec, open when it's not.  The '96 is 4x the price though....sigh.