The $#!& Getter Build

Finally back in the MJ world! Picked up this 87 SporTruck on my way back from delivering a FSJ I had sold. I've been wanting another one ever since I sold my 89/99 a few years back. I had been looking for one for a few months trying to find the right deal. Scooped this one up running and driving for less than a grand so its the perfect canvas for what I'm wanting to do. It does have its little issues but mainly just needs some maintenance and a good cleaning. It is 2wd but will convert it a little on. I am gonna try to build a DD sort of Jeep with this. I still have my 1 ton XJ but been wanting to take a few steps back with this truck not build something so crazy and keep its main purpose to be driven with an occasional light trail ride, using mostly off the shelf parts. Really just wanting a driver to try and save some miles on my truck. I may do a 97+ swap later on if I can find the right donor but for now its just gonna get its little issues worked out, converted to 4wd, a lift, some tires and a good cleaning. Its good to be back!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so if anyone on here knows me I tend to get a little impatient sometimes lol so I decided to tear into this Jeep over the weekend. I am going to pick up a donor sometime this week. Really don't have the space I did with my last swap so want to pull what I need off the donor and get rid of it as quick as I can. That way I can have more room for final assembly. That's part of the reason I decided to go ahead and strip the manche down. Just one less step I have to worry about it. Everything is pretty much ready for the swap other than I still have to pull the motor and trans but I won't do that till I have the new motor to go back in. Need to get everything done for the interior install first and fore most so I can hopefully get it off to paint soon. I know a stated this would be a slower build but looking at the Jeep as it was and what I wanted to do I realized that doing the swap now and getting done quick would solve some of the little issues I had the with the Jeep right away and make it a little more enjoyable right off the bat. Once the swap is done I'll probably slow back down when it comes to actual mods and such but for right now I'm just trying to get the swap done and the jeep painted hopefully by the end of the summer.

Picked up a donor today. Paid a little more than I would have liked but since it is a factory 5 speed 4x4 power everything Jeep I was okay with it. This way I already have the hard to find 97+ 5 speed cherokee parts as well as the fold forward seats and the 2 door master switch. The Jeep however is missing a few things like AC components and a cruise module though it did come with both options from the factory. As for the cruise module I will be pulling that off my 01 XJ. I may pull the AC stuff off of it too but still not sure on that yet. Being a straight trail rig AC and cruise aren't all that needed but since the AC does work I might not mess with it and just get those parts elsewhere. Once I make a little room in the garage I will start tearing this Jeep down to have it ready for the drivetrain swap then shortly after the interior swap.

Got the drive train swapped over yesterday. Both crossmembers off both Jeeps were garage so need to go by the junk yard someday and pick up a good one. With me starting my new job tomorrow I wanted to at least get this part done before then. The rest of this swap can be done a few hours at a time which I can do after work some days. This build is probably gonna slow down a bit now but I am still planning on having the swap done and it painted by the end of the summer.

Got a good bit more done this weekend. Got the cherokee tore down and the firewall cut out and moved over as well as the steering column bracket and the the dash top rail is mounted in. I still need to drill the holes for the lower mounts and get some bolts in there. The previous owner of the cherokee did a AC delete which leads me to believe something was wrong and they didn't want to fix it so with that said I will have the evaporator checked and or a new reinstalled while I have the heater box out. Still need to pull a few things off of the cherokee before I can haul it off to scrap. Need to get over to the junkyard one day soon to pick up a new transmission crossmember and a dakota gas tank. Plan as of right now is to get most of the swap done B pillar up. so engine bay and interior. Then pull the bed and take it to paint first. while its off I'll work out the gas tank and some other things. then when it is done and the Jeep can drive on its own load up and take it to get painted. Still trying to have this swap done by the end of the summer. Its looking good but anything can happen. Also picked up some shocks for the manche today. Got them for a pretty good deal from a buddy of mine. Not sure if they'll be in the front or rear but will figure that out when I do spring over. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Picked up a second donor last week. I still needed a few things that the 2 door didn't provide. Plus I pretty much stole this jeep.. picked it up for $200. Yes that's right 200 dollars lol. Got some done with the actual truck this passed weekend but ran into a snag. Apparently with the 4wd conversation and the ax15 swap. Not sure which one it is if not both the crossmember doesn't want to work. It's moved back the width of the crossmember so now the front bolt is in the back hole.. not sure what is going on here. If anyone could shed some light that would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So now that Photobucket has decided to be a bunch of pricks I have to find away to get the photos back up.. anyways I got a ton done on the manche this weekend. Broke open the harness to make it a little smaller, taking out what isn't needed for the truck. Dash is in for good, just need to put the panels back on. Seat brackets are in and ready for seats when I find the ones I want. Buttoned up most of the engine bay aswell. Should be ready for a fire up soon. Ordered something a little special for it that should be here this week.

1172b9ac8124fe62405a1dacec06397d.jpg

dad5b0b828be00b39c2e7b3430eb1fcb.jpg

2ccad1f2124eb93a52fdc494220ce961.jpg

d4de770af853deae7c0bb456ae198a30.jpg

Fired up the jeep for the first time since the swap over the weekend. Still need to work out the tank. Got the doors on aswell. I got the passenger side pretty much lined up. The driver side is gonna need some work. Also need to get the strikers installed. Picked up some new wheels last week too and the new rear end came in today. Gonna hold off for the next week or two. Got a wheeling trip planned and my XJ needs a little work before then. But as soon as I'm back I'll jump right back on this thing.

283f20c3a0757c87516a47b0e47d34fc.jpg

6d33c2c1f2221a96f2528d643dbf3cb4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

so for the harness diet, did you just remove the rear windows/locks all the way up to the connector under the dash or what did you do? mine is already swapped but wiring is a hack and I just got a entire harness to redo it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

so for the harness diet, did you just remove the rear windows/locks all the way up to the connector under the dash or what did you do? mine is already swapped but wiring is a hack and I just got a entire harness to redo it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Pretty much I laid the harness out in the truck and cut it open.. made sure i was attached on both side so at the fuse box and driver door then knowing what connectors had to go I followed them all the way back to the source and cut them at the connector.. after all that was not needed was gone then a got it all in place with the extra right where the hole is for the fuel pump and brake lights and cut it and re crimped it right there to take all the extra wire out. I'll get some better pictures for you when I can..

• 3 weeks later...

Got back to the jeep a little today.. passenger side striker is on and the door opening and shutting good.. started to work on the driver door but stopped for the night. Picked up a newer set of Moab's last week with a set of 35s on them, But selling those. I had a buddy of mine pick up a set of 35" creepy crawlers that I picked up on the wheeling trip last weekend. Also picked up a camper top on the way back. Got it for $100 and figured why not. Gonna be putting a lot of work into this thing in the next few weeks to try and have it driveable soon..

ac7cdfeeeaccc8e6ff400647143afca6.jpg

03d7f9d6304d07e1332d2583e38d2fe2.jpg

09076bcf132f8dfd4addbae2b590de05.jpg

bafc9def5191416dbecb87cd597fa84a.jpg

Getting the jeep ready for the body shop to have their time with with.. got both doors lined up nicely and got the fenders and header loosely mounted to the jeep (how my body lady wanted it). Pulled the bed off today. Need to get the fenders trimmed up and adjust the hood some and after that haul her off.. still stuck on color. Want it to be a factory jeep color just can't come up with one I just love!

55dd37ca9f0cf2f10c1a7837cd0658aa.jpg

6e0f680b12b1db53f47c375da68d6261.jpg

Got a decent amount done with the jeep today.. got the new steering column in and the rest of the dash together. Gave it a good pressure washing. Got the tank wired up and the fuel line worked out. Drilled some holes to mount the charcoal canister and also ran its hoses. Trimmed both front fenders and did the cut and fold on the inner pinch seem. Need to pick up some fuel line to run from the factory hard line to the new tank and a few other things and it should be driveable. Which means it'll be time to haul her off to the body shop.. then I'll get the bed trimmed up and worked out and take it over there.. it's getting close and I'm getting excited!!

2296a903ba78ad23d67fde40649a8eeb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Okay so it's been a long while since anything has been done to the jeep.. just have been real busy with work, school and the XJ. Finally got to tying up some loose ends on it today.. put some new motor mounts in, got the down pipe installed and drove it out of the garage.. so it does drive on its own. Had to replace the replace the power steering line. Swap is pretty much done. I have been wanting to get it to paint but coming up with the money for that has been harder than I thought. Hopefully I'll get her there soon but we'll see. Have everything I need for the rear end and most of what I need for the front except the actual axle. Might start getting the rear axle built next and ready to go end next till I get it painted.

71af9686720ed127e498c20f688970b3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So some goodies showed up today.. Gonna get it installed soon so that I can build some links when I get a Dana 30 to swap in. Gonna try and run a full 4 link at all possible but we'll see how that goes.. also need to order a cable tcase shifter.. for some reason the linkages don't match up.. might be something I am missing with the 4wd swap but I feel like a cable shifter would be an easier fix..

46f6db096edafbab41fbcf10d241a0cc.jpg

d7a6412dd4954cde75d0daf2afc29425.jpg

So some goodies showed up today.. Gonna get it installed soon so that I can build some links when I get a Dana 30 to swap in. Gonna try and run a full 4 link at all possible but we'll see how that goes.. also need to order a cable tcase shifter.. for some reason the linkages don't match up.. might be something I am missing with the 4wd swap but I feel like a cable shifter would be an easier fix..

46f6db096edafbab41fbcf10d241a0cc.jpg

d7a6412dd4954cde75d0daf2afc29425.jpg

Whats your initial opinion on the cross-member?? Mine should ship out this week sometime!