Intermittent wiper conversion w/o tilt

Would like to have the intermittent option here in oregon. I don't have tilt steering so What are the options involved in going over to the other Side? It seems there are only 2 choices on the switches, are they just a plug and go?

Also my wipers sometmes park on the w/s and off the w/s, where's the problem there?

Bryce

You need the wiper switch inside the column and a little control box under the dash. The wiring is all there but swapping the switch isn't easy.

The wipers parking off the windshield is probably the plastic bushings in the wiper linkages.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

You need the wiper switch inside the column and a little control box under the dash. The wiring is all there but swapping the switch isn't easy.

The wipers parking off the windshield is probably the plastic bushings in the wiper linkages.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Or loose wiper motor bolts. 

Would like to have the intermittent option here in oregon. I don't have tilt steering so What are the options involved in going over to the other Side? It seems there are only 2 choices on the switches, are they just a plug and go?

For the multifunction switch you will need the "w. intermittent, w/o tilt" switch, p/n 56000032. And of course you will need a new stalk w. the intermittent wiper feature and the plug-in module.

The switch is expensive new (~$100 back when I was searching), difficult to find in the junkyards, and as mentioned by Minuit, difficult to remove/replace.  I finally found one about a year ago in a junkyard but haven't gotten far enough on my "to do" list to put it in.  Whenever that job gets close to the top, I usually have something else that is easier that moves up and takes its place :shake:

Honestly, I'd rather swap in a whole tilt column already equipped with delay wipers than have to remove/replace that switch.  Unfortunately, tilt/column shift columns are also hard to find.

That said, if you find one in the junkyard, just get the whole column.

Can I assume that the column in the comanche and cherokee are the Same. And the only difference then is column shift a/t or manual transmission Column?

And 87-90 with 4.0 Engine?

Got mine HERE, $52.95. That was years ago though. With as much work as that switch is to install, I'd not use a junkyard part..........

Wow! Half the price of rockauto.

Cherokee are the same column.  However, the auto Cherokees will be floor shifters.  Auto/column in Cherokees are extremely rare, only ones I know of are police models.  They were used so the floor was open to mount radios.

I don't know what years are interchangeable, except that 95-96 XJ columns are different as they added air bags.

For the multifunction switch you will need the "w. intermittent, w/o tilt" switch, p/n 56000032. And of course you will need a new stalk w. the intermittent wiper feature and the plug-in module.

What is this plug in module under the dash Called? What would a parts house call It?

• 6 years later...
On 4/28/2017 at 8:22 AM, HOrnbrod said:

For the multifunction switch you will need the "w. intermittent, w/o tilt" switch, p/n 56000032.

56000032 became 56007298 in 1994. Also known in the aftermarket as DS570.